UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 214784 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
4. Do they tell you when they roasted the bean?

This is one of the main differences between the real deal, such as those i linked above, and those who are just half decent*.

Roasted coffee is fresh food. It should be eaten within a maximum of about 2.5 weeks. Most coffee peaks at around a week (or a few days either side). This means that to get the best out of your coffee you should be buying it within 5 days of roasting.

Most supply chains for coffee, both for retail and coffee shops, simply don't allow for that. Making allowances for it increases cost. Thus the guys I linked above are quite expensive - compared to providers of stale coffee that is. Funnily enough, stale bread, sour milk and rotten fruit is comparatively cheap too. Work out the cost per mug though. Great coffee at home costs about 10% of the cost of mediocre coffee from *$'s

*Other things include individual observational testing of each roast, willingness to bin bad batches, artisan skills at roasting - a process which might take 17 mins, 20 secs where 30 secs either way or 5 degrees either way would ruin the roast! Another good thing to check is how the roaster feels about selling ground beans - the equivalent of selling pre-peeled apples.

galpinos

• forum hero
Funny that this thread should appear in the most recent unread list!

I have just finished my first cup of Villa Esperanza from ManCoCo. Sublime! (No idea if they pass Sam's slightly higherthan average demands on coffee roasters....)

The beans were part of my birthday present, along with a hario slim ceramic hand grinder. Coffee made in an Aeropress.

I shall be sampling some of their other coffees now......

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Recently upgraded to a kalita ceramic wave pour through and the subtlety of flavours you can get (by playing with the % of grind to water) is definitely an improvement on the aeropress which gives a nice but fairly standard taste no matter which bean I have used.

I had an amazing batch recently of a limited edition yoyo blend off hasbean but its sadly sold out now!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Good coffee is hard to come by out here in France. It's one thing I really miss about living in Glasgow - I knew of 2 good roasters that would pass Sam's test (although, once I did have to point out to one that the bag of "fresh coffee" he was trying to sell me had a "roasted on" date of around 2 weeks prior... put me off for a while but they do pull a damn good espresso (Artisan Roast, Glasgow)

I would always grab a bag from "The Bean Shop" whenever up at my parents in Perth. They roast on the premises and their espresso blend is very, very consistent.

Out here, I've not had one proper espresso. You can get good coffees in Italy (duh!) but 20km in Chamonix it's pretty much all shit. Can;t really get decent beans. There's a big chain, "Folliet" but it's centrally roasted and not very consistent. The local italian Deli "sells" Illy for €13 a can and looked very blanc when went in the other day looking for Borlotti and Canellini beans (pulses, not coffee...)  clue   less!

psychomansam

• forum hero
France is absolutely shocking - you'd probably have to import it!

rc

• player
In case it's not yet widely known, you now have a really excellent coffee shop in Sheffield: Tamper
I know bragazzis is pretty decent, but Tamper takes it to the next level. Almost up to the standards we're used to in Leeds thanks to these guys  ;D

psychomansam

• forum hero
What happened to the other place in leeds - they still there? They had a place by the uni and an indoor booth in the centre somewhere, which i visited repeatedly. Also once went to leeds just to see them do their thing at a food show, and was equally impressed by the coffee and the hot boss  :spank:

rich d

• forum hero
Has anyone got any recommendations for a good cup of coffee in central Bristol? Got a series of meetings on Tuesday and need an alternative to shitbucks or cunta coffee.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
In case it's not yet widely known, you now have a really excellent coffee shop in Sheffield: Tamper
I know bragazzis is pretty decent, but Tamper takes it to the next level. Almost up to the standards we're used to in Leeds thanks to these guys  ;D

Layne's serves a good brew but it is very pretentious. Even for a coffee shop! Can anyone seriously be comfortable on those benches?! I had a trippy experience in there when I ordered a pot of coffee for two, having been assured that my friend who I was meeting was "just around the corner". By the time he got there the pot was gone and I was somewhat 'animated'. Heaven knows how I sat still on the train home.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Proving the point that, if we're all honest, it's just nice tasting speed.

underground

• forum hero
Tamper looks interesting, near my office and I much prefer a 'poured over' to an espresso any day. My ebay bargain £10 Krups machine is still the best coffee I've ever had and the espresso bit of it is permanently crusted up due to lack of use

psychomansam

• forum hero
Has anyone got any recommendations for a good cup of coffee in central Bristol? Got a series of meetings on Tuesday and need an alternative to shitbucks or cunta coffee.

The word on the street: https://twodaycoffee.co.uk/

http://www.fcpcoffee.com/contact.php

or perhaps the less coffee-focussed http://www.bostonteaparty.co.uk/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:32:47 am by psychomansam »

Duma

• forum hero
Two-day is good, I get beans there. Bit up the hill though. Not been to the other one.

rich d

• forum hero
Cheers guys, I'll report back.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
For a meeting Boston tea party is best bet up Park St. Although that other place looks good. I've never been though...
There is a place at the bottom of St Michele Hill which I've has recommended it just says 'Cafe' in big letters in the window. Don't know the name, they do a good flat white apparantly.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#115 Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 06, 2013, 12:18:36 pm
Waiting in the bunker since 07:30 for a delivery (we don't open till 12).
Problem is, I put the coffee machine on when I arrived...

Now shaking badly and grinding my teeth...

The Rombouts "Supremo" blend is quite good. I've crunched a few beans at random. No hollow beans, evenly roasted. Tasty, not bitter. 

turnipturned

• forum abuser

Good watch for interested folk!

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
I am one of those interested folk...
That was great. Arabica plant was a one off, never knew that.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Does anyone like chocolate covered coffee beans? I used to keep them in the car as a "pick me up" snack while driving, but left half a bag that melted into one big lump and haven't bothered since.

wintermute

• menacing presence
I ruddy love 'em. Seem a pain to get hold of though unfortunately (at least this limits my consumption of them somewhat).

I recently found a 250g bag in Lidl for £1.49 though. Good times.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Yeah there aren't many places that stock them. Will give LIDL a shot. A few places online sell them.

Anyone tried butter in their coffee??

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Does anyone like chocolate covered coffee beans?

Dangerous little buggers. I used to buy them at Whittards on Deansgate when I lived in Manchester.

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
+1 for chocolate-coated beans.  I usually save them for extreme circumstances.  When I've been working all night, the sun's up and the cafes are finally opening I'll get a double espresso and a bag of beans to see me through.

Does anyone roast their own beans?  Is this something that can be done well at home or is there no hope of ever matching the results a professional roaster would get?

rich d

• forum hero
Yeah there aren't many places that stock them. Will give LIDL a shot. A few places online sell them.

Anyone tried butter in their coffee??

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

I have, but a good few years ago in the early 90s and only to blend an other ingredient. Tasted like crap, but did the job and worked faster than smoking it.  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
Does anyone like chocolate covered coffee beans?

Dangerous little buggers. I used to buy them at Whittards on Deansgate when I lived in Manchester.

Whittards is probably where I last got some before the aberdeen branch closed

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal