UKBouldering.com

Moving to Stirling - any climbers there? (Read 1793 times)

match

• regular
Moving to Stirling - any climbers there?
January 26, 2011, 01:15:22 pm
Hi folks,

Just got a new job starting Feb in Falkirk, and moving to Stirling in the next week or so. So, any of you fine folks live in the area and fancy some climbing? Or can pass on any recommendations for local crags/routes? The closest I've climbed to there is Lochnagar so my local knowledge is sadly lacking...
I climb about e2-3/scot IV-V/boulder V5ish/sport ?7a, with usual disclaimer re number of pies/pints the night before. PM me if interested.

Cheers, Matt

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You working at the Wheel? :0) You could get from Falkirk to Ratho in no time.

Get a copy of SMC Lowland Outcrops, I think that covers the area. Not sure if there is much on the doorstep other than assorted Dolerite Quarries, but there is loads that is daytrippable.

Unless I'm wrong Wolfcrag quarry isn't that far away. Bit of an acquired taste, but some fun to be had http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Wolfcrag_Quarry

Worth browsing here to suss out the lay of the land and what is around and about

http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Guides

Someone on here is based in Dunblane, but I can't remember who.

match

• regular
Ha, nope, but Ratho is indeed a quick trip - already looking forward to the elbow injuries!

Ta for the info Chris, good stuff. I learnt to climb in Lancashire, so my palms are already sweating at the thought of grotty quarries  ;D

rich d

• forum hero
My head office is in Cumbernauld, so i've climbed at Wolfcrag when i've stayed up there (and when it wasn't raining!). It's not too bad to be honest and is very close to Stirling. 

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
my palms are already sweating at the thought of grotty quarries  ;D
You want to speak to Fiend, he's based in Glasgow just now (I think he's through Edinburgh way quite a bit too) and he is a great fan of grotty quarries, and sweaty palms, and usually looking for folk to get out with.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
my palms are already sweating at the thought of grotty quarries  ;D
You want to speak to Fiend, he's based in Glasgow just now (I think he's through Edinburgh way quite a bit too) and he is a great fan of grotty quarries, and sweaty palms, and usually looking for folk to get out with.
Hehe :-*

Hi yes I'm often keen to get out.

Stirling is really a very good place to be based. You can get to West Highlands, Central Highlands (most of which will be daytrippable) and Angus/Aberdeen area quicker than from G/E, you don't have to sit in the choading M80 roadworks, but you can still get down to Ratho and G/E, and it's got two pretty castle/monument things and cool hills nearby. The city itself might suck I have no idea but it's a good base.

Local crags: Camby, Auchinstarry, Wolfcrag, Limekilns, Dunkeld, Glen Ogle, Glen Lednock, Weem but always travel further afield if you can.

Local boulders: Loch Katrine, thingyinafield Wall, Glen Ogle, Glen Lednock, Weem but again always travel further afield...

match

• regular
Cheers Fiend, Stirling is sounding pretty darn good. I've met the M80 roadworks and the benefits of being north of them has not escaped my attention!

I'm usually keen for climbing, and am pretty psyched to have so much stuff on the nearly-doorstep. Managed a quick Scottish trip last summer to try and tick classics - sadly after the good weather period - but did a damp Unicorn and Big Top, plus a little Aberdeen granite, and very keen for more... Will send you contact details.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal