UKBouldering.com

climbing at nite in the peak (Read 2421 times)

al123

• menacing presence
climbing at nite in the peak
January 27, 2011, 04:33:18 pm
when its clear and dry e.t.c at nite, where is the best place in the peak to go soloing at night? im thinking there must be some crags getting more moonlight than others at different times in the nite?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: climbing at nite in the peak
January 27, 2011, 04:45:05 pm
some crags getting more moonlight than others at different times in the nite?

Pick West facing crags when the moon is in the East etc

Best thing to do is keep an eye on where/when the moon is during a few nights prior to your session (preferably a fullish moon) - use a compass if you're not sure and be aware that it will be slightly different/later each night. Then use a map and guidebook to work out which bits of rock will be in moonlight.

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
#2 Re: climbing at nite in the peak
January 27, 2011, 06:02:24 pm
when its clear and dry e.t.c at nite, where is the best place in the peak to go soloing at night? im thinking there must be some crags getting more moonlight than others at different times in the nite?

:oops:  in England we spell correctly  every NIGHT

Other than that, as lagerstarfish said. Crags high on an escarpment will obviously be better lit than those in the valley. Remember moonlight can play tricks on your eyes with distance/perspective etcetera. Start low in your grade; you're out for an amazing experience. Which night time climbing is.  ;D

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: climbing at nite in the peak
January 27, 2011, 06:07:57 pm
Then use a map and guidebook to work out which bits of rock will be in moonlight.

Or simply use this:

http://photoephemeris.com/

put your marker on the crag of choice and track the sun/moon's position during the day/night. It even allows you to compensate for being in the bottom of a valley. (Credit goes to either Cofe or JB for the tip)

I believe there's also an app for it (ouch).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: climbing at nite in the peak
January 27, 2011, 06:49:00 pm
If its close to a full moon then its very simple - it will rise in the east at sunset and set in the west at sunrise. Given that you will lilkely be climbing in the evening, then the most moonlit crags will be the same ones that get the morning sun - ie bugger all of the grit crags except Burbage West and Ramshaw.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: climbing at nite in the peak
January 28, 2011, 08:39:12 am
I realise you're after some solos and these aren't in any way, shape or form solos, but the boulders in Burbage Valley (where Lagers went the other week if I remember correctly) might be worth checking as they won't suffer from the shade problem of the west-ward facing edges (well ~50% of each boulder won't).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:54:24 am by slack---line »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: climbing at nite in the peak
January 28, 2011, 08:49:08 am
That photemeris thing is genius. Thanks Paul (and JB or Cofe).

Tells me what I need to know for a photo project on the coast near here.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal