UKBouldering.com

Lama to put more bolts in Cerro Torre? (Read 24977 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I thought I saw Lama on the way up to Burbage North. Turns out it was just an alpaca

T_B

• forum hero
OK, it doesn't make any sense to me. Believe me, I've seen some pretty shocking ground up bolting on alpine rock in the States. Lots of rivet holes made so that the next bolt can be placed whilst the ground up purist stands in his aiders. I think the whole 'ethic' is, let's say, very dubious.

It's the  same ethic that spawned the Bachar-Yerian - a route you described as an all-time highlight.

True. That route is a good example of where bolts were placed very sparingly and the nature of the rock means that their existence has little visible impact. The style in which it was done was commendable. But possibly it's a rare exception, which is why it always gets wheeled out as an example. There are very few routes in the States like it outside of areas such as Tuolumne and maybe places like The Needles, South Dakota? What seems to be more common is that bolts go in (on lead) where there might be a runout section between features, but where it could be climbed without at a not much higher grade. The route is still brought down to 'your level' and you are still drilling holes in the rock and hammering in metal. I put up a new route in Squamish in this style, but if I'd used my ethics (rather than the locals), I would have had a quick look on a rope from above and probably not needed to put the bolt in. Instead, there was lots of faffing tensioning off RPs and working the moves on tension, hanging on gear, before then redpointing the pitch. At the worst end of the scale, rivets are used as intermediate aid to place the next bolt, before the pitch is redpointed. That just doesn't make sense to me. It would be 'better' to rap bolt those lines and place fewer bolts. Less damage to the rock, less of an eyesore. Outside of the context of the US, Americans take their ground up bolting ethic to big walls and the mountains and feel justified in bringing a bolting kit along. I personally think that's a shame and using the ground up bolting ethic to justify it, not very progressive.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 08:05:37 am by T_B »

galpinos

• forum hero
Decrying ground-up bolting (bad) whilst at the same time accepting a whole plethora of contrivances that also help you climb a piece of rock as OK (abseil inspection, chalk, sticky rubber, expansion devices, training whatever) has only been arrived as a matter of cultural context and how the game has evolved.

I can see what you're getting at Simon but in the above statement you are comparing something that irreparably changes the rock and route to things that don't.

Once you've drilled the rock the damage is done whether the bolt gets chopped or not. Abseil insection, sticky rubber, chalk, removable gear, training etc. doesn't leave a trace on the rock.

To me, that makes a fundamental difference.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Tom makes a good point I think, though the number of bolts in Squamish suggest to me the ground-up ethic is not strictly adhered to.

I think the problem is not the precise style Lama is attempting, but the fact he hasn't set his sights high enough. The climbing community are pretty cynical of big money expeditions like this, and for good reason. The best way to counteract the criticism is to make sure you are doing something they can only applaud. You can go right back to the sixties and the first National Geographic feature on big walling. Most of the Yosemite community thought it was a terrible idea, and some even set out to sabotage the ascent. But the climbers turned the tables by leaving their hammers behind and making the first clean ascent of a big wall. Suddenly all that press had a positve effect in moving ethics forward.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
The ground-up style is not exclusively american.  It is the prevalent style wherever it make sense: on bigger cliffs in Norway, Spain, and Italy for example.

Really, it is hard to better Colin's latest blog post. (Even if I strongly disagree with him on rap-bolting on El Cap.)

http://colinhaley.blogspot.com/2011/01/clarifications-about-cerro-torre-david.html

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
If you'd like to read the following link...
....and if you see fit, sign the petition.

At the time of me posting this there are 921 signatures, mainly from the US, but also from elsewhere round the world. You guys on this site are not daft, so thats why I've bothered to register on UKB and hopefully get you guys on board:

http://bit.ly/foXVJd
or
http://www.change.org/petitions/view/tell_david_lamas_sponsors_to_stop_their_support_of_his_bolting_actions_on_cerro_torre

Cheers!

The problem with this I discovered is that I have to give quite a lot of personal information to a website I really know very little about. Consequently I backed off half way through signing the petition.

I'll mail Mammut UK  directly instead. over-caffeinated sugary drink company I'd consider a waste of time as I don't believe they'd have any interest in my views.

chris05

• forum abuser
I believe you can give the wrong details and yet still sign it.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
From http://www.david-lama.com/

Quote from: David Lama
Soweit wie möglich möchte ich mich ja an die Kompressorroute halten, vom Einrichten aus dem Abseilsitz werde ich allerdings absehen. Sollten also fürs Freiklettern  Abweichungen notwendig sein, so müsste ich diese von unten angehen und einrichten; ein zeitaufwändiges Unterfangen für die knappen patagonischen „Schön“wetterfenster.
(My boldface)

Which I think (my German is horribly bad) can be translated to something like:

"I would like to stay on the Compressor-route as much as possible, I will certainly abstain from equipping [the route] on rappel.  If deviation from the route is necessary for free climbing I will try this ground-up; a time consuming process for the short Patagonian good-weather window."

Duma

• forum hero

T_B

• forum hero
Here's an image to help put it all in context. Might be a bit chilly on the fingers  :-[

From http://www.brasovia.com/events/patagonia/index.html

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Wow. That's a turnaround. Good result.

csurfleet

• menacing presence
 :great:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
???  :shrug: story/linky  :please:

EDIT : Found it myself...

Rock & Ice : Lama abandons rap bolting plans
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:26:17 pm by slack---line »

Duma

• forum hero
Slackers, jwi linked to DL's blog (the horses mouth, as it were), and I linked to colin haleys (which has been the best summary of the situation I've found and by someone out there), not sure what more you want from us.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Slackers, jwi linked to DL's blog (the horses mouth, as it were), and I linked to colin haleys (which has been the best summary of the situation I've found and by someone out there), not sure what more you want from us.

I'd only read T_B, Will & csurfleet's posts, had glanced at yours thinking it was the same link to Colin Haley's post made further back in the thread  :oops:

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
#65 Re: Lama to put more bolts in Cerro Torre?
February 03, 2011, 05:17:10 pm

"I would like to stay on the Compressor-route as much as possible, I will certainly abstain from equipping [the route] on rappel.  If deviation from the route is necessary for free climbing I will try this ground-up; a time consuming process for the short Patagonian good-weather window."

It's a good start, well done Lama. Even better would be ruling out bolts altogether, but a good start.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#66 Re: Lama to put more bolts in Cerro Torre?
February 08, 2011, 12:11:03 pm
Last time the Lama controversy was in full spate I was amazed by the coincidence of pious critical articles about Lama being followed a day or two later by a news item on the Pou brothers' latest exploits with numerous photos of them spattered with the sickly-taurine drink's brand.

Interestingly, and despite the obvious branding in the picture, there is no mention of over-caffeinated sugary drink companyshit as the Pou's sponsors.  Whether this is because they no longer are or it is an author/editorial decision I've no idea.

Nemo

• addict
#67 Re: Lama to put more bolts in Cerro Torre?
February 18, 2011, 05:01:02 pm
All sorts of good stuff been happening in Patagonia in the last week or so:
http://www.climbing.com/news/hotflashes/slew_of_fas_in_patagonia/

As for the SE ridge of Cerro Torre, it has seen the closest attempt yet to (aid) climb it without using Maestri’s bolts:

According to:
http://www.pataclimb.com
“In February of 2011 Canadians Chris Geisler and Jason Kruk came very close to pulling off a complete "fair means" ascent of the SE ridge of Cerro Torre, reaching a point 40 meters below of the top of the headwall without using any of Maestri's bolts for progression. They followed the Salvaterra-Mabboni and Wharton-Smith lines to the headwall, then climbed the first headwall pitch right over the bolts but without using them (free at 5+), to then move right for a pitch (they aided some but estimated it would go free at 6c), later crossing left of the bolted line to reach an obvious ledge one pitch below the compressor. From here they climbed left to a point level with the compressor but about 40 meters left of it. In the early morning, after having climbed through the night and in very high winds Geisler finished his lead by traversing back right following a thin seam, to eventually make a pendulum that took him to the third bolt down from the compressor. From that point they retreat. In the darkness Geisler failed to notice features further left that likely would have allowed him to climb a completetly independent fair means line to the top. On that last pitch, which required 8 hours, Geisler placed a single bolt climbing left and one while traversing right back to the compressor. Hats off for such a great effort!!”

And it seems that Lama has reached the top of Cerro Torre, although it isn’t clear on his blog whether this was a free ascent or not (from the fact he says it was ice covered, I suspect this was an aided ascent of the Compressor Route?):

According to:
http://www.david-lama.com/en.html
“At our second try this year, my partner Peter Ortner and I finally succeeded to climb the top of the Cerro Torre. Starting from the shoulder we got up to the ice-covered peak after 10 hours of technical climbing. At about 10.00 p.m. and catching the last evening light we lastly reached the top. Our Cerro Torre-marathon (El Chalten shoulder – Cerro Torre – shoulder El Chalten) lasted all in all 46 hours.”
If it wasn't a free ascent, it will be interesting to see if he sticks to his free climbing plans now he has actually seen the thing up close...

Nemo

• addict
#68 Re: Lama to put more bolts in Cerro Torre?
February 18, 2011, 07:08:46 pm
Just read Jason Kruk's blog and it seems to confirm what I'd guessed:

"David Lama was on the Torre aid climbing up the bolts so we were being buzzed all day long by a helicopter film crew."
Much more detail at:
http://blog.jasonkruk.net/

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm

over-caffeinated sugary drink company I'd consider a waste of time as I don't believe they'd have any interest in my views.

The over-caffeinated sugary drink company related part of this programe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011llvt/Secrets_of_the_Superbrands_Food/

would seem to back up that opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal