UKBouldering.com

Alfwad (Read 3197 times)

dave

Alfwad
February 10, 2004, 04:03:51 pm
Yo yo yo I'm thinking of taking the little lady to brek the alps in like June or summert to check out the flava like Craig David. I've heard that Ailefroide is the place to be for a bit o' bouldering summertime, so might stay around there for like a week, check the probs, flash an 8a like Malc, check the scenery etc.

So has anyone been there, is it any good, will i path everything etc? I gather its best to fly to italy cos its closer than the french cities.

also are there any other little nice bouldering places in that end of the alps (will probably be a 2week hirecar kinda trip)? I know theres shite loads of sport climbing round there (Ceuse, Briancon etc) but it'll be strictly pad only style.

Cheers for the help dudes, peace out.

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#1 Alfwad
February 10, 2004, 04:12:08 pm
Dave

Ailefroide is awesome, your beatch will really enjoy the scenery and the bouldering is pretty good.

Its definately best to fly to Turin (check out the Airline Network, we got reasonably cheap flights last time) and drive there, I think it took me about 1hr 30mins. Holiday Autos worked out the cheapest if I remember rightly.

Briancon has got some bad (as in bad) landings, so if you can muster another pad it would be a bonus.

Also it will be hot, hot, hot if it is anything like last year when I was there. So if you want to do anything hard it will be either first thing in the morning before the sun gets over the top of the valley or after tea when things cool down a bit.

I didn't really come across any other bouldering whilst I was out there, but we were mainly doing routes.

dave

#2 Alfwad
February 10, 2004, 04:18:05 pm
word

cheers for that Mike check 1-2. Sounds like its tha shznit. Hopefully in June it won't have reached the peak summer temps by then, i fucking hate hot weather even when just chillin. theres sposed to be some bouldering below ceuse innit? sounds a bit wack though.

Also, how far is alfwad from cres,cresch,..chistianov, (as jerry would say) and t'magic wood? i certainly wood, if its not more than a days traveux.

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#3 Alfwad
February 10, 2004, 04:28:05 pm
No problems mate,

Didn't hear about any bouldering near Ceuse, but Sigoyer is over an hours drive from Ailefroid.

If my GCSE geography is up to scratch Cresciano is near(ish) to Milan so you are probably talking about 3 - 4 hours drive.

As for the weather, Ailefroide is a really sharp sided valley so once it heats up its hot. We ended up chilling in the afternoons on some days, and the weather was so consistent as well. We only had one day of bad weather, and this is the day we decided to drive down to Ceuse.

dave

#4 Alfwad
February 10, 2004, 04:30:46 pm
nice - might be a goer, i think her indoors likes the idea of swiss tings, even though everything cost a bomb there. I can always buy a penknife and some Milka.

Mike_H

• menacing presence
#5 Alfwad
February 10, 2004, 04:51:37 pm
Or a Rolex for the totally thugged out look.

As they say pimpin' ain't easy.  :wink:

AndyR

• forum hero
#6 Alfwad
February 10, 2004, 05:02:27 pm
Quote from: "dave"
theres sposed to be some bouldering below ceuse innit? sounds a bit wack though.

It's not that bad actually, but not worth driving far for (east fife five?).

Doylo

• forum hero
#7 Alfwad
February 11, 2004, 01:01:55 am
I'd say ailfroide is good for 4/5 days, theres a new topo out which helps. You can get to Magic Wood from Ailfroide probably in six hours through Italy but its a sweaty drive. Also good for 5 days ish. Chresciano is way, way too hot in June. Susten Pass is another option but we thought it was pretty shite.  You can't call Ceuse shit,its the best crag in t world!  :bash:

dave

#8 Alfwad
February 11, 2004, 09:08:57 am
magic wood actually sound like the ideal venue for me - climbable in summer, and crazily overgraded! bring on some 8cs.

Doylo

• forum hero
#9 Alfwad
February 11, 2004, 12:36:18 pm
When you see New Base Line the 8c you will fancy a crack, no shit!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#10 Alfwad
February 11, 2004, 12:42:30 pm
Quote from: "Chris Doyle"
When you see New Base Line the 8c you will fancy a crack, no shit!

Did you boys have a crack? How'd ya do

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#11 Alfwad
February 11, 2004, 01:17:42 pm
On the subject of Magic Wood, can anyone give me any advice on where to stay?

Doylo

• forum hero
#12 Alfwad
February 11, 2004, 01:18:01 pm
We didn't actually but she ain't no Walk Away thats for sure. Apparently Smith and that lot are gonna be heading up there soon, should be interesting.

c.j.d.

• forum abuser
  • Great.
#13 Alfwad
February 13, 2004, 11:01:18 am
Hello people.  Beautiful place, good problems.  Very good for a week unless your projecting the harder stuff - which there is lots of.  The landings are not great, unless you go to the Mushroom (over the bridge, take a left and follow the river back down - first one on the left!).  The wench will love it son.  By the way - Llanff film festival - slide show on bouldering in Ailfroide by me - 11.00 Doldadarn pub 28/02 ( in the morning obviously).  See you there kids.  Failing taking a mat with you, go with someone fat, and land on them.  Lots of fat people about at the moment, Simon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal