UKBouldering.com

Broken derailleur hanger - emergency repairs (Read 8162 times)

Palomides

• forum abuser
Broken derailleur hanger - emergency repairs
January 17, 2011, 10:15:21 am
Hello,

I had a very pleasant outing on Saturday with a friend of mine in the Cevennes. Unfortunately my friend managed to snap his rear derailleur hanger. The whole rear derailleur went into his back wheel and he stopped rather abruptly. Weirdly this happened on a dead straight downhill tarmac road after he hit a small pothole. I can only think that it was already cracked and the bump finished it off, as his chain was in the middle of the cassette and he wasn't changing gear or even turning.

We broke the chain, removed the mangled derailleur and looped the chain back on as a rather slack singlespeed. Fortunately the final 15km was either downhill or flat, so we got back to the car, but every so often the chain would move up to a bigger cog and jam solid - it was tight enough to go on, but too tight to turn!

This has got me thinking. I've now seen 4 people snap their hangers, and have to walk back. I don't want this to happen to me.

The simple idea would be to carry a spare hanger. But having seen how manged the rear derailleur was, and how twisted some of the chain links were, I doubt if we could have got it all back into place. I also doubt that we could have removed the broken hanger pieces without a workbench and some proper tools.

So... I'm thinking of making, and carrying with me a DIY singlespeed tensioner. All I need is a piece of flat metal, drilled for a QR axle at one end, with an old jockey wheel at the other and bent to go under the chainstay. This should give just enough tension to prevent the chain wandering all over the cassette (I can even ziptie it to the chainstay if it keep loosening too much). Googling shows a fair few of these (although I might not use a spoon).

Has anyone tried this ? Is it a daft and unnecessary idea ? Is making and carrying one of these things a waste of time and effort ?
 :-\

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Easier to carry 10 m of spectra and if someones bike fails the other person does the towing and gets some serious resistance training in.

Palomides

• forum abuser
I often ride on my own.

And I don't have a dog.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Ahh, I now know what you mean...
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=387711

Looks quite clever and no harm in making one and experimenting. Although your'd be unlucky to not be able to ride home after a snapped hanger if you have a spare. I think it depends on the make but some of these do seem rather too fragile. I understand the idea is to protect the expensive frame but some just seem to snap for fun. BigPhil rides a Marin and carries more than one spare on a ride, he's had several snap on him but AFAIK has always been able to replace it on the ride and carry on.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
ensure the chain dont get too old.. carry a spare hanger & a few power links.. as inevitably the chain gets a bit twisted.

as long as the mech and spokes dont get totalled the hanger will spare your frame and you can replace and ride on.

i carry spare hangers, usually bought from betd.com

my worst experince from this was on the top of a DH in morzine, with a mate having borrowed my mulitool at the foot of the hill.

took me a good while to get off the hill, get to the chalet, open up the spares, fit a new wheel, mech and shifter ( not compatible), having swapped over the cassette and putting a new chain on.

lost 4 runs  :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal