UKBouldering.com

Sport climbing - Catalunya - late March (Read 2775 times)

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Sport climbing - Catalunya - late March
January 10, 2011, 04:19:04 pm
I'm planning a sport climbing trip in late March.

With the new Lleida guide out, there's considerable psyche for going to Catalunya.

However, I've been told that the weather at that time of year is a bit risky, and Costa Blanca is a safer bet for solid weather for a whole week in March.

Checking Lleida out online looks like average rainfall 19th-26th March is 1.52cm, average 1.5 days of rain for that period. Doesn't sound too bad for cranking.

Does anyone have any info/experience?

Cheers,

R

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I've been in March. It was fine. Cool but not rainy when I was there.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I think you stand a good chance of good and dry conditions in March.

T_B

• forum hero
I'm sure that in a typical year, March is fine, but I once had a miserable Easter at La Mussara/Siurana. We ended up going to Rodeller and it snowed! The weather is better on the Costa Blanca, but the crags are not in the same league if you are after 7s and 8s. If you can be flexible on your accommodation, then you can't lose as the drive down to the Blanca is only about 5 hrs.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
As above.  I've had several weeks in the Sierra de Prades in March, the weather has mostly been fine with the odd cold and windy day.  It has snowed on me once.  Even at my punter level I'd much rather be there than the depressingly semi-urban mediocrity of the Costa Blanca. 

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Tis a shame that Wildside doesnt get any sun - still I'd rather freeze my nuts off there than climb anywhere else in the Costa Blanca

chris_j_s

• menacing presence
I don't know, I enjoyed the climbing at Forada and Orihuela. You would also freeze your nuts off at Forada though!

IanP

• forum abuser
Tis a shame that Wildside doesnt get any sun - still I'd rather freeze my nuts off there than climb anywhere else in the Costa Blanca

After a number of trips to Spain (Catalunya and Costa Blanca) around Feb - Apr I'm pretty sure I've spent more days dodging the sun than I have being too cold.   I've also seen snow and terrential rain as well though this is the exception - the worst weather has generally been in April which is why we're going in March again, may bump into Rocksteady since we're going 23 - 29th March and are currently lookly at the new Llieda guide for inspiration.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
Thanks for replies all, looks like Catalunya will be a top choice.

Getting increasingly psyched!

Cheers,

R

Marky

• player
New Lleida guide is fantastic. We were over there for Xmas/New Year and the weather was fine and dry - cold in the shade but perfect in the sun. Bruixes wall was perfect in the sun even a bit hot a couple of days, Vilanova great multi-pitch adventures, Collegats gorge superb ranging from the conglom of sector Cine through to great wall climbing in other sectors and the superb location of Ager. Loads of other great crags that we did not get too - what an area - the Spanish are so lucky! Would have thought March will be perfect with lots of options depending on the weather.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal