UKBouldering.com

best use for an xbox original (Read 2253 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
best use for an xbox original
January 09, 2011, 09:12:24 pm
So, one of the neighbours was giving a load of shit away and I got a nice coffee table, a wicker armchair and an xbox (not 360). They still have a wooden fire surround going if anyone is interested...

I remember that xboxes can be used as media centres and have done the search on here and Go Ogle to find out how to do it. Anyone had any fun doing this? worth it?

The games that have come with the Box are all shooting and killing type things that don't appeal to me or the kids. I assume that the resale value of this free piece of tech will be not much more than Fuck All. Any offers?

Are there any good games for xbox that might appeal to small girls? We have a wii and from what I can tell the wii stuff is more small-girl-friendly.

Should I feed it some Linux and wait for sentience?

Any other cool things I could do with it?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: best use for an xbox original
January 09, 2011, 10:07:39 pm
This http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/622690
says you can play nes/snes games on it - which may be more family orientated than urban street death 7(tm)

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: best use for an xbox original
January 09, 2011, 10:17:30 pm
I turned one into a media centre about 6/7 years ago.  From what I remember I had to solder a chip into the motherboard.  This was actually not as bad as it sounds even with limited experience of soldering (e.g. none).  I put in a 250gb hard drive and could run music/video and emulators through it.  I'm sure that there are cheaper ways to do this now but if you have a free one......

http://www.modchipworld.co.uk/

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: best use for an xbox original
January 09, 2011, 10:36:20 pm
I turned one into a media centre about 6/7 years ago.  From what I remember I had to solder a chip into the motherboard.  This was actually not as bad as it sounds even with limited experience of soldering (e.g. none).  I put in a 250gb hard drive and could run music/video and emulators through it.  I'm sure that there are cheaper ways to do this now but if you have a free one......

http://www.modchipworld.co.uk/

I have read that there is a soft mod to do this (apart from the bigger hard drive bit of course)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: best use for an xbox original
January 10, 2011, 06:14:59 am
All you need to know on the X-Box Media Centre (XBMC).

With regards to the software mod its is possible, but not officially supported, see the FAQ (includes links).

Luthor

• menacing presence
#5 Re: best use for an xbox original
January 10, 2011, 12:13:19 pm
Try and get hold of the lego star wars games! very small (5 ish onwards) child friendly and quite good fun..

Sam

• addict
#6 Re: best use for an xbox original
January 10, 2011, 01:06:28 pm
pm dawned you re: fire surround

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal