UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 219972 times)

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#675 Re: There's an app for that?
March 16, 2016, 05:53:24 pm
Maverick (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codesector.maverick.lite) gives you access to OS maps for the whole of the UK in your pocket (you can pre cache maps on wifi when you know you aren't going to have any reception - or you can download on a computer if required http://support.codesector.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/1/1/Downloading-offline-maps).

You will need to do a little bit of manipulating to get 1:25000 OS maps however the instructions to do so are easy to follow and I have not had any problems using the app since following these guidelines - http://support.codesector.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/20/1/OS-Explorer-Maps.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#676 Re: There's an app for that?
March 16, 2016, 07:14:30 pm
At the risk of sounding like a broken record OSMAnd+ the Android application for OpenStreetMaps which has a specific designation for Public Rights of Way.  Obviously your mileage may vary depending on who has been actively mapping things in your area but if you've existing routes that don't appear on it you could always map it and contribute it.

Paul B

• forum hero
#677 Re: There's an app for that?
March 16, 2016, 09:00:22 pm
Thanks both!

With Maverick are you caching maps simply by viewing them (3G here can be non-existent)? The  Hike and Bike maps seem to show the PRoWs too.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#678 Re: There's an app for that?
March 16, 2016, 11:12:38 pm
Maverick caches maps viewed on WiFi as .png tiles for use offline.

Only thing to be careful of is that you need to make sure that you view each place you are interested in at the correct zoom as the maps are sorted as images not vector graphics and can't be zoomed without a cache of the image.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#679 Re: There's an app for that?
March 16, 2016, 11:51:59 pm
Only thing to be careful of is that you need to make sure that you view each place you are interested in at the correct zoom as the maps are sorted as images not vector graphics and can't be zoomed without a cache of the image.

That's as in Google Maps.

One of the things I like about OSMAnd is that you can choose a country/region to download and that's it, no messing around panning across the maps whilst on WiFi it just downloads what you want.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#680 Re: There's an app for that?
March 17, 2016, 11:12:53 am
I also use Here maps (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps&hl=en_GB) for offline navigation (used to be Nokia maps and exclusive to Windows phone until Microsoft bought them out and sold the company) - maps can freely be downloaded of specific countries or whole continents, make sure that you have enough storage space though! This is very much a challenger to google navigation and I tend to use it for driving as I find the interface to be more intuitive. It is also handy to use in cities as the offline navigation still contains 3D buildings when zoomed in.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#681 Re: There's an app for that?
April 05, 2016, 11:46:14 am

There was a brief incarnation of Android (something around 4.4.* if I remember correctly) that included as part of the system itself exposing the permissions each application requested and allowing the user to turn these off.

Some custom ROMs (e.g. Google Play Edition for Samasung GT-i9505) include this, but if you've rooted your phone you can install the Xposed Framework and the AppOppsXposed module (install through the Xposed framework though) to regain this functionality and limit what every installed application can access.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#682 Re: There's an app for that?
April 08, 2016, 09:18:43 am

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#683 Re: There's an app for that?
April 12, 2016, 09:05:27 am
A solution looking for a problem Truecaller.  If I don't recognise the number, chances are I don't need to answer it.

The pernicious side is that if others install the application and you are in their contact list your number/details are uploaded to Truecallers database without your knowledge or permission.  :spank:

You can (in theory) unlist your number.  I've tried but the page seems to freeze on submitting and there is no confirmation the number has been delisted (awaiting response from support).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Paul B

• forum hero
#685 Re: There's an app for that?
January 20, 2017, 03:53:14 pm
Eva Lopez was recommending an interval timer recently:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deslomator.complextimer&hl=en

I trialled it last night and I thought it was really good.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#686 Re: There's an app for that?
January 20, 2017, 04:12:14 pm

standard

• obsessive maniac
#687 Re: There's an app for that?
January 20, 2017, 05:11:04 pm
Actually paul, i don't like it.
it does not show you an accurate time left in a hang.
A 7 second timer in that one will count down from 6 to 0, and pause on 0 for a second.
impetus will do it properly, ie countdown form 7-0 and not pause on 0.

I've submitted feedback to ask it to be changed.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:18:40 pm by standard »

Catcheemonkey

• addict
#688 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2017, 10:42:02 am
I’ve just upgraded to IOS11 and now can’t use the 32bit Hangtimer app.

There are loads of terrible looking hangboard apps on the AppStore - does anyone have a recommendation for an IOS timer that’s not terrible?

Ideally I’m looking for a fairly basic timer with adjustable hangs, rests, reps and sets & audio prompts for these - rather than a fully guided ‘workout’ by hold type.

nik at work

• forum hero
#689 Re: There's an app for that?
May 22, 2018, 09:31:47 pm
Just to bring this thread back from the dead, I've just published a timer app on Google Play. After having played around writing an app for a bit, and getting a bit of feedback from some UKB based experiment ponies last night I decided fuck it and stuck the timer app on the play store.
Here it is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.keeg.freetimer

If you're interested in a simple timer app for work=rest sets and repeaters, that will keep a record of your training sets (and allow you to export them) then it's probably/possibly worth a look. Mind you the weather is quite nice right now so you could just go climbing....

If anyone does use it, feel free to comment/criticise/mock/suggest additional features that would be useful :)

kelvin

• forum hero
#690 Re: There's an app for that?
May 23, 2018, 10:05:55 am
 :thumbsup:

I'll give it a whirl Nik, after two years the back is finally up to some fingerboard work and your app looks like it'll do everything I need.

Pretty intuitive on first play.

Duma

• forum hero
#691 Re: There's an app for that?
May 23, 2018, 10:46:23 am
Looks good Nik, wadded.

nik at work

• forum hero
#692 Re: There's an app for that?
May 23, 2018, 10:20:49 pm
Thanks guys   ;D

If you do use it and you spot any bugs or flaws let me know, I'm not an app developer (I hit metal things with other metal things most of the time...) and this is my first forray into such waters so I imagine there is high potential for many issues...

Also wishlist suggestions will be taken on board and included as time and skill permit...

andy_e

• forum hero
#693 Re: There's an app for that?
April 21, 2019, 11:21:39 am
Does anyone know of a good Android music player?

I have a 256gb SD card with music on in my phone. I currently use VLC but it has a tendency to lose/forget the media library/storage folder location. It's otherwise great. The app that came with the phone is terrible, you can select by artist, or album, but if you choose artist, you can't choose one specific album, it just lists all the tunes by that artist in alphabetical order, so is mostly useless.

Any recommendations for good apps welcome! I wish I could get Winamp on my phone...

Paul B

• forum hero
#694 Re: There's an app for that?
April 21, 2019, 12:47:00 pm
Rocketplayer

andy_e

• forum hero
#695 Re: There's an app for that?
April 21, 2019, 12:52:10 pm
Ta. Can you pay for ad-free?

Paul B

• forum hero
#696 Re: There's an app for that?
April 14, 2021, 01:29:20 pm
Yesterday in our end of financial year "how did it go" meeting, one of my Dirs. asked if anyone had heard of Slack as his daughter was using it to collaborate on a coding course she's taking online:
https://slack.com/intl/en-gb/

My answer was, no. Do any UKBers use it?

I'm a little sceptical as to it's usefulness for the business I work in namely because we have MS Teams and only tend to use it for specific meetings (Dirs. specifically log in for meetings then out afterwards; this is frustrating). However, they're desperately trying to recruit staff and the model under which we work which is essentially each person on their own, nose [tendering/quoting] to tail [output and invoicing] for engineering projects isn't very scalable and they were hoping to use it to cut down on email traffic and share knowledge across the range of employees.

I said I'd look into it.

Anti

• menacing presence
  • Potato
#697 Re: There's an app for that?
April 14, 2021, 01:41:13 pm
I don't use it but when I thought that it looks remarkably like the interface of Discord it turns out it is. Basically just a more "business" version of it. Might be worth trying Discord as it's free depending on your size.

Carl

• regular
#698 Re: There's an app for that?
April 14, 2021, 01:48:50 pm
My answer was, no. Do any UKBers use it?

I use it at work, we've not been using it for ages and uptake has been a bit mixed, but I personally like it. Particularly for how we tend to work with a lot of varied projects and teams, it's far less cumbersome than group emails. Depending on how set people are in their ways it can be difficult to get them to use it though!
Also having the facility to do a direct call/video to someone without having to set up a specific meeting slot is good, although there are presumably many other options that achieve this.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#699 Re: There's an app for that?
April 14, 2021, 01:49:50 pm
Current client uses Slack. It works a lot like MS Teams. Messaging, direct and conference calls, sharing documents, group chats (coming out of my ears), sharing code. Used a lot in IT where collaboration is the #trend

Anti is right it looks and feels a lot like Discord.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal