UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 219992 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#625 Re: There's an app for that?
May 23, 2014, 08:45:44 am
I wouldn't know and can't check as the first thing I did was unlock the boot loader, root the phone and wipe the stock ROM in favour of the AOSP S4 Google Edition ROM to get rid of TouchWiz and all the other bloat wear in preference of an essentially Nexus like ROM (this is what the 'g' in the GT-i9505g model refers to as Samsung/Google sold them with Google's Android version on rather than Samsungs TouchWiz overlay, but they charged way over the odds for these, I just bought the phone myself outright and chucked this ROM on it for now't extra).

Installed the Xposed Module to get all of the customisation I want.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#626 Re: There's an app for that?
June 11, 2014, 05:03:18 pm
SwiftKey is now free (with in app theme purchases) after investors ploughed some money into the company.

Paul B

• forum hero
#627 Re: There's an app for that?
June 11, 2014, 07:50:56 pm
I've started plugging my phone into a shared/public music system (via a jack plug), the problem is the phone continues to get alerts etc. and turns down the music / plays the alerts.

Until:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pierceholdings.dontpause

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#628 Re: There's an app for that?
June 12, 2014, 07:59:46 am
I've started plugging my phone into a shared/public music system (via a jack plug), the problem is the phone continues to get alerts etc. and turns down the music / plays the alerts.

Until:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pierceholdings.dontpause

Thought you were running Tasker Paul, assuming that you are can you not create a profile to stop all of that?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#629 Re: There's an app for that?
June 12, 2014, 08:07:20 am
Thought you were running Tasker Paul, assuming that you are can you not create a profile to stop all of that?

:agree: That was my first thought too (but couldn't remember if Paul was still using Tasker).

I find Tasker dead handy, don't do anything complicated but simple things like turning audio notifications off when connected to the work WiFi so as to not disturb others in the office is dead handy, as is Vibration only when certain calendar events occur (i.e. meetings).  Its what computers are for, being programmed to do repetitive tasks.

Paul B

• forum hero
#630 Re: There's an app for that?
June 12, 2014, 01:01:44 pm
No, I think it updated to a paid version and it had certain limitations under 2.2 so I deleted it, moved on and then forgot all about it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#631 Re: There's an app for that?
June 19, 2014, 03:35:46 pm
Mountain Project (now free due to linking up with Black Diamond).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#632 Re: There's an app for that?
June 20, 2014, 05:48:24 am

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#633 Re: There's an app for that?
June 20, 2014, 08:01:15 am
Probably only useful to me (but really useful to me), check company details, filing history etc really quickly with this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.gov.companieshouse.android

tomtom

• forum hero
#634 Re: There's an app for that?
June 20, 2014, 11:59:31 am
Probably only useful to me (but really useful to me), check company details, filing history etc really quickly with this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.gov.companieshouse.android

When I searched for Sharpe Financial Services it seemed to take me to a secret level, It seemed to enter a first person shooter game where I (in the character of LagerStarfish) had to battle a 12 legged green puss filled blobby thing with an uncanny resemblance to Eric Pickles.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#635 Re: There's an app for that?
June 20, 2014, 01:58:34 pm
It's not meant to be Erik Pickles - it was loosely based on Dave Simmonite and his bid for world domination, but the graphics folk got the scaling all wrong (cm instead of pixels?)

If you make enough in-app purchases you get the chance to buy a DFB upgrade (and I get to go to the Maldives on holiday)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#636 Re: There's an app for that?
June 24, 2014, 12:35:18 pm
I might have mentioned this before but newer devices* have built in air-pressure sensors (i.e. barometers), the PressureNet application collects and submits this data with a view to building more accurate local weather forecasts.

You can (purportedly) have fine-grained control over who the data (which includes location) is shared with. 

* See list on Play page for supported devices, there may be more though.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#637 Re: There's an app for that?
June 24, 2014, 10:50:49 pm
won't people with terminal flatulence like me skew the data?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#638 Re: There's an app for that?
June 25, 2014, 07:05:18 am
:lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#639 Re: There's an app for that?
June 30, 2014, 10:26:06 am
BMC Summit now available electronically

I wonder if it includes all the junk advertising pamphlets for life insurance etc. that comes with the printed version each month? :clown:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#640 Re: There's an app for that?
July 16, 2014, 10:16:58 am
Going to give this a whirl... Commandr

And now you don't need to go into your web-browser to find out Where The Fuck Should I Go For A Drink although it didn't automatically obtain my location, a quick Tasker profile sorted that out though.  Announced in glorious style on Twatter.  The iOS version has been updated too

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky
#641 Re: There's an app for that?
October 30, 2014, 01:19:55 pm
Does anyone have a link for the apk of Show Box?

Found it: http://www.showboxdownload.com/2014/08/show-box-for-android.html

Paul B

• forum hero
#642 Re: There's an app for that?
November 25, 2014, 07:56:31 pm
My phone will no longer work with the bluetooth in my car (an issue with E46 BMWs and Android it seems) which is a tad frustrating. However, I've found that the voice recognition dialling on Android is actually pretty good.

Is there a way (without handling the phone, Moto G) to get to the voice search section, and turn on speaker phone? does it require an App?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#643 Re: There's an app for that?
November 25, 2014, 09:00:44 pm
I know on the Samsung S3 that I am still persisting with there is the option to turn on "Voice Control" and you just talk to the phone to get it to do things though whether that covers what you need I don't know.

Paul B

• forum hero
#644 Re: There's an app for that?
November 25, 2014, 10:07:44 pm
Looks like on the Moto X it's a simple checkbox on the voice controls setting (should work for you too Butters) but on the Moto G, not so simple.

Moto-voice isn't compatible despite Motorola's documentation saying it is.

Tasker can do it (but I'm still reluctant to actually spend money on apps  ;) ), but I've got Condi (for free which is tasker-basic effectively). Especially ones that are offered free and then revoke that status with a crafty update.

I've just tried auto-speaker or something similar and it seems to work. Whether it does in the car or not is another question. Likely it'll put my mother on speakerphone in the middle of the office tomorrow. Bad robot.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#645 Re: There's an app for that?
November 25, 2014, 10:40:54 pm
It's the voice control switch on mine but it does the same thing by the sounds of it. I briefly tried it but it seems that Google forgot to test the system against my broad Suffolk accent dulcet tones so it was a bit hit and miss at best on a good day.

Not tried Tasker for voice control but I know it is possible - whether that would have any more success given the above is debatable but I might have to have a play with it to see if I can get it to snooze the alarm or something equally random.

As for paying for it - it was so long ago that I bought it that it has more than paid for itself now as far as I am concerned and it is probably the most well known of all the automation apps so it gets a lot of add-ons written for it including the excellent Auto Notification (paid for so you will never download it or look at it ;) ).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#646 Re: There's an app for that?
February 05, 2015, 02:01:42 pm
Quick question for the Android-ers out there.

I'm after a good music player app which does NOT categorise stuff by album and instead just uses the folders I've loaded up.

I'm getting sick of dropping a folder of, say, 10 random tracks onto the phone only to find that I can't listen to them together without making a playlist, plus the "album" list being cluttered up with "albums" I've only got on track from.

Hope that makes sense!

andy_e

• forum hero
#647 Re: There's an app for that?
February 05, 2015, 02:06:07 pm
Winamp?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#648 Re: There's an app for that?
February 05, 2015, 02:07:32 pm
I put "music folder player" or something like that onto the oldest child's phone - she hasn't complained yet, but she may well have put something else on instead

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#649 Re: There's an app for that?
February 05, 2015, 02:24:01 pm
VLC can play music from a folder (whilst also being one of the best video players for android). You just swipe the menu in from the left and select directories then pick your folder and the music will be played in the order it appears in the folder.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal