UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 221847 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#550 Re: There's an app for that?
May 17, 2013, 12:43:20 am
I remember looking at The Photographers Ephemeris a while ago when JB and PaulB mentioned it and was put off by the price being >£5.  Today it was £3.10 (for Android, for iFern it appears to be $8.99  :tease: ).

an essential app for house hunting - you can stand in the garden and work out which bits will get the sun at different times of the year

google sky might also be suitable?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#551 Re: There's an app for that?
May 17, 2013, 10:12:24 am
If you don't NEED it on your phone its also free, and much more usable, as a desktop app. I have it on phone and ipad but rarely use it off a proper pc.

Paul B

• forum hero
#552 Re: There's an app for that?
June 15, 2013, 09:22:12 pm
that's why I was looking towards NavFree as basically you get the whole map.

Righteo, I've been using NavFree for almost 3 months now. Quite frankly it has been awesome. One route it plotted looked a little too long and on closer inspection was simply due to the fact that I hadn't added a state which we'd cut through briefly, the result was an 8 hour detour (which we of course ignored).

It is best if you have a data connection or wifi connection which you can use the in-built google search to find your destination but the town, street, zip (eugh) etc. works well enough. Favourites, POIs all work as well as my aged TomTom One XL which was stolen some time ago.

It's way better (IMO) than navigating using google maps.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#554 Re: There's an app for that?
August 17, 2013, 08:30:58 am
TuneIn Pro is todays free application on the Amazon Market.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#556 Re: There's an app for that?
August 28, 2013, 07:05:22 am
Impressed with Titanium Backup from the people who write ClockWorkMod.  Pro version sync to online too, well worth it for < than a pint costs.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#557 Re: There's an app for that?
September 01, 2013, 09:33:07 pm
Slowly getting addicted to using this in my day to day decision making:  Oblique Strategies app

Invented By Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt in the seventies to help break blocks in the creative process. An I Chjing for the post-rock generation.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#558 Re: There's an app for that?
September 20, 2013, 02:59:29 pm
Google bought Quickoffice about a year ago.

As of today they are giving it away on Android and iOS install and sign in < 26th September and get an extra 10Gb allowance on Drive (but only for two years).

neilslim

• regular
#559 Re: There's an app for that?
September 26, 2013, 11:32:52 pm
Ea Sports Fifa 14 is free for the next few days from Google play...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#560 Re: There's an app for that?
September 27, 2013, 12:29:57 pm
Ea Sports Fifa 14 is free for the next few days from Google play...

Bargain. Those with not much storage should be aware that the file is 1.27GB though.....

Paul B

• forum hero
#561 Re: There's an app for that?
September 27, 2013, 05:00:56 pm
Is there a viable home finance app (for Android, preferably for a large tablet)?

My folks use MS Money on their Desktop (which is starting to feel very slow and outdated) and as MS Money is no longer produced by MS I thought now might be a good time to switch. Something which might also have a windows application (and sync) might be a bonus. I'd guess they're likely to want something a tad more polished than a Google Spreadsheet (slackers).

An app which is made by a reliable developer which is likely to exist in a years time would also be a bonus (this makes me think that it may cost a f*ck-all or two but that's OK).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#562 Re: There's an app for that?
October 01, 2013, 04:29:12 pm
After banging my head against my HTC for literally seconds, I got fed up not being able to work out how to cache maps on the recently updated version of Googlemaps and googled it.

So, if you're wondering how to cache maps, it's all detailed here.

You can also stare places as favourites (which i do often so I can find places without internet) by searching for the place then swiping upwards.

:2thumbsup:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#563 Re: There's an app for that?
October 01, 2013, 11:41:52 pm
Seems rather a backward step. It should have a link at the bottom of the search page but mine doesn't.
https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3273567?hl=en-GB&ref_topic=3273087

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#564 Re: There's an app for that?
October 01, 2013, 11:49:40 pm
Scrub that, yes it does. Put cursor in search bar then scroll down list that pops up.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#565 Re: There's an app for that?
October 01, 2013, 11:54:43 pm
Also lost the ability to manage offline maps. Can only delete entire cache from the app settings

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#566 Re: There's an app for that?
October 02, 2013, 04:36:09 am
Definite backward step,  and a little weird that it's so unobvious how to make it available. Also, I can't work out how to add a "via" destination on the navigation.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#567 Re: There's an app for that?
October 22, 2013, 07:32:22 am

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#568 Re: There's an app for that?
October 24, 2013, 09:01:10 am
wasnt sure which thread to add this to so apologies if there is a better one somewhere

havent used the fingerboard for a few weeks and did a set last night using the iphone beastmaker app... found the clock ran fast, figure it was an issue with iOS7, I amended times in my head adding a little to compensate, anybody else seen this?

Paul B

• forum hero
#569 Re: There's an app for that?
November 10, 2013, 02:56:17 pm
Forum fiend - basically it's a free version of Tapatalk which actually works. I used to use the latter but they revoked its free status with an update which frustrated me so much I refused to pay!

Other alternatives I've used were useless.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#570 Re: There's an app for that?
November 13, 2013, 08:08:40 am
CyanogenMod Installer in Play

Its probably worth reading the wiki carefully.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#571 Re: There's an app for that?
November 13, 2013, 10:46:44 am

DropSync

Great recommend there Slackers - got the paid for version and it is a very powerful tool indeed. Paid for version includes amongst other things integration with Tasker but have yet to see a need for it.

Duma

• forum hero
#572 Re: There's an app for that?
November 14, 2013, 09:03:51 pm
Forum fiend - basically it's a free version of Tapatalk which actually works. I used to use the latter but they revoked its free status with an update which frustrated me so much I refused to pay!

Other alternatives I've used were useless.

Cheers, this is handy. Like the dismissive message when you go to reply - it's like dense wrote it.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#573 Re: There's an app for that?
November 15, 2013, 09:17:42 am

DropSync

Great recommend there Slackers - got the paid for version and it is a very powerful tool indeed. Paid for version includes amongst other things integration with Tasker but have yet to see a need for it.

I might be missing something but doesn't Dropbox do the basic funtion of this app anyway? When I take a photo on my phone it automatically uploads it to Dropbox and when I switch on the dektop it tells me how many new files have uploaded and the photos / videos are all there. I realise there are other uses of the app but this seems to be the major selling point.  :-\

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#574 Re: There's an app for that?
November 15, 2013, 09:30:15 am
Phone version doesn't work the same as the desktop.

Add something to your Dropbox folder on your computer then open up the application on your phone.

The file isn't on your phone until you choose to "download" it (might be called export too lazy to check), yes you can see all the files that are there but they haven't been synced to your phone.  I expect this is by design as some phones don't have multiple Gb's of free space for syncing to phones and many unwitting people might try this on 3G rather than wireless thus incurring large data charges*).

Similarly whilst photos work as you describe (because the application is configured to do that) there isn't a "Dropbox" folder on your phone which you can just chuck files into and they'll then sync to the Dropbox cloud and on to your other computers.

Dropsync does this and basically acts the same as Dropbox on a computer.

(At least thats my understanding of it).

* I stupidly started an sftp of a 2Gb file from my phone to my desktop the other week at home without realising Wifi was turned off.  Cost me £19 to upload half the file and have had to buy a one month "unlimited data" add-on for the princely sum of £3.  :oops:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal