UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 220068 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#525 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2013, 09:37:40 am
Not sure if it can, or what you already use, but I've used PuTTY for my pi successfully.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#526 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2013, 10:01:17 am
PuTTY is for Windows, not Android.

The SSH client I use on my phone is Irssi Connectbot and I've set it up to use keychains and copied over the target computers public keys, so this will get around having to enter the password.  As far as I can tell though there is no option for passing commands to the ssh you are invoking.  If it were a command line (from a Linux computer) then you can pipe commands over ssh using...

Code: [Select]
ssh pi@192.168.0.50 "sudo halt"

So you could try installing a terminal emulator on your phone, sorting out the keys for DSA/RSA and then using the above, but if the Pi is hung it may not even be possible to SSH in and you'd be best off pulling the power plug and restarting.

EDIT : You will of course have to have keychain installed on the Pi and running, so after ssh'ing in

sudo 'apt-get install keychain'

For more info on keychain and passwordless login see here (but substitute every 'emerge' for 'apt-get install')
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 10:12:50 am by slackline »

andy_e

• forum hero
#527 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2013, 10:04:06 am
PuTTY is for Windows, not Android.

Note to self: Look at topic title before answering question...

Paul B

• forum hero
#528 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2013, 12:35:31 pm
Cheers Slackers. I've generated an RSA key on the pi itself but I'm struggling with how to use that via Connectbot?

I tried using a local connection to make a .ssh directory but I was told it was a read only file system (and I do have root access).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#529 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2013, 12:46:06 pm
Ooops, might have misled you I'm afraid, its the other way round you generate a key on your phone and place that on the target (in this case the Pi).  When I do this its normally a two-way interaction* so I can ssh between computers, which is why I got wrong (I did this on the phone on a rainy day without climbing in Sella in November last year).

This should help

:sorry:

* For what its worth I tend to keep public keys within a folder on my Dropbox account so I can install them on new computers easily.

Paul B

• forum hero
#530 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2013, 01:04:49 pm
still can't manage to dump the key onto the pi itself via connectbot or using ftp to try and access the .ssh directory?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#531 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2013, 01:14:28 pm
Connectbot won't transfer the key, try an sFTP client of some description (I use AndFTP).

You might have to create ~/.ssh for the 'pi' user if its not already in place.

Once you've copied the key over it needs to be placed in ~/.ssh/authorized_hosts (see above linked Keychain guide), so

pi@pi $ cat ~/tmp/my_phones_key >> ~/.ssh/authorized_hosts

...will append it to the file (you want to append on the off chance the file already exists and has some keys in it for some reason, as you then don't over-write as you would if you piped it with a single '>').

NB - I've not actually done this with the Pi yet myself.  Just have Connectbot setup to ssh into my main server.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:26:27 pm by slackline »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#533 Re: There's an app for that?
March 11, 2013, 03:49:03 pm
GMusicFS

Means you can access your Google Music from the player you are used to using, on that note I've recently switched to and been impressed with GoneMad Music Player, highly configurable (trial lasts a few weeks but its only fuck all to buy).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#534 Re: There's an app for that?
March 11, 2013, 09:25:48 pm
GMusicFS

Means you can access your Google Music from the player you are used to using, on that note I've recently switched to and been impressed with GoneMad Music Player, highly configurable (trial lasts a few weeks but its only fuck all to buy).

Not masses of use for it but someone on another forum I frequent has written the following for using GMusicFS on a more traditional computer* (downside is files aren't tagged, and there's not masses of point to it if you've already got the music on your computer anyway!**)...

Anyone wanting to add it to their distro can do so by:

install

apt-get install python-pip
pip install [url]https://github.com/terencehonles/fusepy/tarball/master[/url]
pip install [url]https://github.com/simon-weber/Unofficial-Google-Music-API/tarball/develop[/url]
pip install [url]https://github.com/EnigmaCurry/GMusicFS/tarball/master[/url]

create a config file ~/.gmusicfs

[credentials]
username = your_username@gmail.com
password = your_password

chmod it so no one else can read it

chmod 600 ~/.gmusicfs
create mountpoint

mkdir -p $HOME/google_music
gmusicfs $HOME/google_music

switches

sage: gmusicfs [-h] [-f] [-v] [-vv] [-t] mountpoint

GMusicFS

positional arguments:
  mountpoint          The location to mount to

optional arguments:
  -h, --help          show this help message and exit
  -f, --foreground    Don't daemonize, run in the foreground.
  -v, --verbose       Be a little verbose
  -vv, --veryverbose  Be very verbose
  -t, --truefilesize  Report true filesizes (slower directory reads)

:off: and rather  :geek: but could potentially be of use for Raspberry Pi owners (although again see ** as streaming from your local server would be more straight-forward, especially as its unlikely to be integrated into XBMC (yet at least)).

* But running GNU/Linux, in this case a Debian based.

** They run a streaming server and were looking at a way of storing the music in Google's cloud.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#535 Re: There's an app for that?
March 11, 2013, 10:31:26 pm
I got the original post, link to the app and understand the idea of it totally but that last one may well be the least comprehensible thing you've ever posted on this site slackers.

What the actual fuck? :o

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#536 Re: There's an app for that?
March 11, 2013, 10:36:38 pm
 :sorry:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#537 Re: There's an app for that?
March 12, 2013, 05:14:39 am
What you've got to understand about slackline is that where most of us have a brain, he instead runs a linux kernel...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#538 Re: There's an app for that?
March 12, 2013, 07:18:49 am
 :lol: :-[

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#540 Re: There's an app for that?
March 25, 2013, 08:32:36 pm
So you geeks on two wheels, whats the best turn by turn app for following a route whilst biking? Ideally with the ability to cache for areas with no signal. I want to download a route then have audible instructions via headphones or speaker. Dont think Strava or Endomondo does this. Can i import a route to Google nav?

Paul B

• forum hero
#541 Re: There's an app for that?
March 27, 2013, 02:47:57 pm
Sorry I can't help with that one!

Has anyone re-purposed an old Android as a Satnav? I was thinking of throwing NavFree USA onto my Wildfire given my pseudo contract expires today (GiffGaff).

I'm not sure what the best way is of getting the phone to as empty as possible to stick this onto it mind you.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#542 Re: There's an app for that?
March 27, 2013, 05:06:06 pm
When we were in Canada last year I used my phone a bit as a satnav, caching maps whenever we had free wifi. With google nav I think the cached maps are stored on the SD card. Worked fine for shorter journeys, but limited on big US drives, and you can't zoom in.

Paul B

• forum hero
#543 Re: There's an app for that?
March 27, 2013, 07:52:37 pm
that's why I was looking towards NavFree as basically you get the whole map. The only thing that isn't saved is house number and POI information (which I can live without). As you download by state, I should be able to get everything applicable quite easily. I'll likely give it a go either way and as I said the biggest hurdle is getting my phone back to stock so it actually has the required space!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#544 Re: There's an app for that?
March 27, 2013, 10:57:26 pm
I'll likely give it a go either way and as I said the biggest hurdle is getting my phone back to stock so it actually has the required space!

I would have thought it was as simple as doing a Factory Reset (located somewhere under settings) but then I remembered it was you asking Paul...  ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#545 Re: There's an app for that?
March 28, 2013, 12:33:23 am
actually, you're about right. The main problem is the manufacturer bundled a load of cr*p I don't need/want.

crimp

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#547 Re: There's an app for that?
April 12, 2013, 03:04:31 pm
ClimbingAway

Mentions that an Android version is in the pipeline.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#548 Re: There's an app for that?
April 15, 2013, 09:36:21 am
I remember looking at The Photographers Ephemeris a while ago when JB and PaulB mentioned it and was put off by the price being >£5.  Today it was £3.10 (for Android, for iFern it appears to be $8.99  :tease: ).

http://laptopiniran.tumblr.com/

I use AndroidLost for this sort of thing (but to date I've never had my phone stolen or lost it).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal