UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 221656 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#475 Re: There's an app for that?
July 11, 2012, 09:10:52 pm
I've been using Avast but the anti-theft stuff looked a bit of a pain to setup and use, especially if you re-flash your phone quite a lot as I do.

Android lost looks pretty good and easy to use so have installed that.  The clever thing about Avast is that if you're rooted then you can prevent the phone from being reflashed.

If I ever have a ROM I'm going to keep for a while then I'll revisit it, but until then Androidlost is really nice, the webui is so easy to use.

Totally unrelated, but I've just been using this Twitter client today and it's really sweet: Twicca - super customisable and has stuff like word filters, etc. Very good. Seems to have lots of plugins too, e.g. a plugin to clip a tweet straight into Evernote.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 09:16:49 pm by Bubba »

lukeh

• addict
#476 Re: There's an app for that?
July 12, 2012, 08:56:52 am
If you've got one of the newish Samsungs there is also http://www.samsungdive.com/DiveMain.do as a basic option. Thankfully not had to use it though.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#477 Re: There's an app for that?
July 12, 2012, 09:27:08 am
Hadn't realised Samsung have a service, cheers lukeh.

Also been put onto Prey which is available for laptop OS's too as well as Android.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#478 Re: There's an app for that?
July 12, 2012, 09:51:23 am
Androidlost was the first to work since the tweaks to Android which broke Where's my droid etc. It seems fine to me.

I've relied on Androidlost recently and it worked well. First it picked it up on googlemaps and showed where it was (at least I kew it was in or around the house) and I then got the alarm to go off and found it had slipped down the back of the bed in the van.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

SA Chris

• forum hero
#480 Re: There's an app for that?
July 18, 2012, 02:29:39 pm
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but not sure I want to dig through 20 pages. Anyone recommend a good app for making cheap / free overseas phone calls mostly to SA and Oz? Not bothered about any face-to-face stuff.

Tried Skype - bit of a pain on phone. Viber is the one to go for. Can phone anyone else with the app anywhere in the world for free. Quality not great over 3G, but fine over WiFi.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#481 Re: There's an app for that?
July 18, 2012, 02:39:14 pm
What was awkward about Skype and in what way does Viber differ?

I've used Skype on laptops for a few years now so found using it on the phone pretty straight-forward.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#482 Re: There's an app for that?
July 18, 2012, 02:47:22 pm
Easy to install, doesn't eat disc space, automatically detects who of your contacts list also have Viber and lets you either phone or text automatically via Viber to them.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#483 Re: There's an app for that?
July 18, 2012, 02:53:47 pm
Cheers for the synopsis.

Installation would be the same for either (certainly under Android) wouldn't it?  I.e. install from Play store (either WebUI or the phone itself).

Guess I never had issues with others having Skype installed as I'd come from a pre-existing contacts list so as soon as I logged into Skype on the phone it synced those.

Disc space worries are a thing of the past for me, but can see it might be an issue for some.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#484 Re: There's an app for that?
July 19, 2012, 09:09:28 am
Don't think the excellent VLC (Beta) has been mentioned yet.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#485 Re: There's an app for that?
August 11, 2012, 10:40:24 am
Any recommendations for an Android photo editing app ?  To be honest all I want to do is quickly share photos I've taken via googlemail (as an attachment), but the original photos are 2-3Mb and would like to resize them so that they're just sent as a couple of hundred kb for someone to download on 3G quickly.

I know there are innumerable apps to edit/resize pics, but they all seem to require you to open the app, navigate to find the pic, then open it for editing, resize it, save as a new name, then I would have to go into gmail and navigate again to find the pic to attach to an email.  My Galaxy S2 has a nice option direct from a camera image to share via FB/gmail/txt/etc.  so ideally just want an app that gives the 'resize and share via gmail' option..

any ideas?   I have instagram which lets you share directly and do a quick edit enroute and I think resizes it appropriately, however it doesn't give gmail as a sharing option

not too bothered about all the other editing stuff like effects, text, frames, etc.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#486 Re: There's an app for that?
August 14, 2012, 02:57:23 pm
I know there are innumerable apps to edit/resize pics, but they all seem to require you to open the app, navigate to find the pic, then open it for editing, resize it, save as a new name, then I would have to go into gmail and navigate again to find the pic to attach to an email.

Thats kind of how applications work, although something like QuickPic allows you to share edited pictures from within it (including the option to send using gmail).

My Galaxy S2 has a nice option direct from a camera image to share via FB/gmail/txt/etc.  so ideally just want an app that gives the 'resize and share via gmail' option..

That sounds like you want an alternative camera application rather than the editing application you state in the opening line, otherwise you will be stuck doing the above.

Camera ZOOM FX might have this sort of functionality, despite having bought it in a sale (currently on sale now too) Ive not used it as I have no problem with the default camera and resolution.

I dont get why someone on 3G has a problem getting a couple of Mb image files (data allowance permitting), shouldnt take that long, and if they use Gmail, there is usually a "preview" option to pictures which lets them see a thumbnail of the picture anyway. :shrug:

Anyway, trawl through the Photography section (can not suss out square brackets on this keyboard so heres the plain URL http://play.google.com/store/apps/category/PHOTOGRAPHY )

ben

• obsessive maniac
#487 Re: There's an app for that?
August 20, 2012, 02:20:42 pm
slackline - thanks and yes you're right, I guess I was after an alternative camera app, not an editing app, sorry..

maybe like you say I should just tell people to man up and receive their Mb's via 3G, it's just for people like my wife who never know what their data limit/usage is at any point

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#488 Re: There's an app for that?
August 22, 2012, 01:46:30 pm
Best application name ever, for making cheap international calls.....Foocall
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:51:41 pm by slack---line »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#489 Re: There's an app for that?
August 22, 2012, 01:50:40 pm
it's just for people like my wife who never know what their data limit/usage is at any point

Guess what?

There's an app for that, e.g. 3G Watchdog

(or others suggested as also installed from that page)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#490 Re: There's an app for that?
August 22, 2012, 02:10:39 pm
There's quite a useful depth of field calculator produced by aimenrg.com. Useful if you don't really have a feel for this (like me!)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#491 Re: There's an app for that?
August 22, 2012, 02:22:58 pm
There's quite a useful depth of field calculator produced by aimenrg.com. Useful if you don't really have a feel for this (like me!)

Check your camera, it may be able to help depending on model (you shoot with Canon don't you?)

My D90 has a button bottom right of the lens mount which you press and you get depth of field preview.  Some discussion on its use on this model.

http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/17933/how-do-you-use-the-depth-of-field-preview-button-on-a-nikon-d90
http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_d90/discuss/72157613161764721/

Worth checking to see if there is such a feature on your body? :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#493 Re: There's an app for that?
September 13, 2012, 11:38:19 am
do you really need to post this in more than one location?  :P :read:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#494 Re: There's an app for that?
September 13, 2012, 12:10:18 pm
do you really need to post this in more than one location?  :P :read:

Well given the BMC sponsor the site I figured it would help to promote it in that sub-forum too.

But then not everyone who uses Android applications would look there for useful apps, hence posting it here too.

Currently the location for Horseshoe details Bamford (which is probably a good thing!).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#495 Re: There's an app for that?
September 26, 2012, 06:15:10 pm
From Twitter

#25billion app downloads on Google Play! For the next 5 days we’ll be offering apps for 0.25c only. New apps every day: http://goo.gl/XUBRh

rodma

• forum hero
#496 Re: There's an app for that?
September 27, 2012, 08:26:35 pm
From Twitter

#25billion app downloads on Google Play! For the next 5 days we’ll be offering apps for 0.25c only. New apps every day: http://goo.gl/XUBRh

Good shout

Downloaded something unrepeatable last night and paper camera tonight. Already have the sketchbook app. The selection changes every day it would seem so don't hang about if there is something you want

tomtom

• forum hero
#497 There's an app for that?
September 27, 2012, 08:39:35 pm
fire sale? ;)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#498 Re: There's an app for that?
September 29, 2012, 09:02:45 am
If you don't already have it then make sure you don't miss Tunein Radio Pro for 25p. One of the best apps about.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#499 Re: There's an app for that?
November 02, 2012, 11:23:55 am
If you don't already have it then make sure you don't miss Tunein Radio Pro for 25p. One of the best apps about.

If you didn't snap up that bargain you can get TuneIn Pro for free today through the Amazon App Store (they give away a free app every day).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal