UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 219983 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#325 Re: There's an app for that?
October 22, 2011, 09:23:53 am
Never be stuck for words again with Viz's Profanisaurus.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#326 Re: There's an app for that?
October 22, 2011, 09:34:52 am
 :lol:

Paul B

• forum hero
#327 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 03:29:34 pm
is anyone using something other than the standard web browser on Android? I just failed to install Firefox as my Wildfire isn't supported...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#328 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 03:32:45 pm
No cos I have no bother with the standard one............... but this is supposed to be good.

https://market.android.com/details?id=mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#329 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 03:33:33 pm
Had a play with Opera Mini now that I'm using Opera on the desktop more, nice syncing (something that Google have caught up with recently with newer versions syncing Chrome).  Opera will also do some stuff on their servers to make pages load faster.

No real preference though.

iain

• forum abuser
#330 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 04:10:10 pm
I don't use the default one cause it doesn't easily do different tabs/windows. I have also used Opera Mobile/Mini and like them but switched to Dolphin Browser when I compared with a friends and it was faster. I like it a lot. Only annoyance is that the default search can't be changed to be UK centric.

Opera will also do some stuff on their servers to make pages load faster.

That can make a big difference and my wife's wildfire seems to like it.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#331 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 08:35:22 pm

I'm also using Dolphin Browser HD.

It's a very capable browser but the thing that made me choose it over other similarly capable browsers is the Lastpass Plugin

I just put google.co.uk in my speed-dial to get UK results. It should probably be location aware but this doesn't seem to be working.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#332 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 08:38:37 pm
Was going to suggest that you add google.co.uk as a speed dial but you beat me to it. Interesting to hear about the Lastpass plugin - will have to check that out. 

Paul B

• forum hero
#333 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 08:39:44 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. My main reason for wanting to change was to sync everything between multiple version of firefox. Obviously this doesn't work if you've got a Wildfire.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#334 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 08:56:20 pm

There's an app that syncs between FF and Dolphin but not used it.

I guess if I wanted to sync bookmarks I'd use Xmarks - what else do you need to sync to the mobile version of FF?

Paul B

• forum hero
#335 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 09:07:30 pm
it does passwords too (history, tabs etc. too if you want). Mainly I just wasted today streamlining my timewasting  :worms:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#336 Re: There's an app for that?
October 28, 2011, 09:17:50 pm

Can't beat Lastpass for passwords imo - works in most browsers and most OSs.

Paul B

• forum hero
#337 Re: There's an app for that?
November 10, 2011, 01:52:34 pm
Well after failing to get the new gmail update to work correctly I finally flashed a Custom ROM last night (Cyanogen 7.1.1). I was pretty disapointed to find the stable release was unstable and that the status bar etc. just wasn't there and the first thing I encountered was a mass of Force Close messages!

Reading a bit further a thread suggested the nightly build was actually stable so I tried that and it seems to be working swimmingly. However, what Cyanogen gives with one hand it seems to take away with the other. For instance, I think its pretty handy in the messaging app (HTC Sense UI) that there's a link to your phonebook, in this I seem to have to type the name and then take the first number even if there's three and god knows how you send to multiple people?

Simple things like the stopwatch and timer are no more and although I can get them from the market, they're not as neatly intergrated and I'm yet to find one as good.

Thankfully I made a backup before flashing so theoretically it should be easy enough to go back (I've also made a backup of this setup and a seperate backup [using Titanium] of apps and system data. If I've got that right I can now switch between two setups or use a new custom ROM and titanium to get up to speed pretty quickly?

For anyone else using Cyanogen, have you really found it better?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#338 Re: There's an app for that?
November 10, 2011, 02:07:57 pm
Not being very good with techy stuff and not having time to sit down and work through it properly I never got round to rooting my Legend. Now I have the new Samsung it's so much better anyway that I still don't feel the need to fuck about with it and with Ice Cream Sandwich coming (possibly) next month I probably wont for a while.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#339 Re: There's an app for that?
November 10, 2011, 02:20:48 pm
Oops wrong thread......  :sorry:

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#340 Re: There's an app for that?
November 11, 2011, 10:51:34 am

For anyone else using Cyanogen, have you really found it better?

I've done the same and on balance would say that gingerbread was better. I do like the drop down slider in cyanogen where you can change the setting (wi-fi, bluetooth on/off)
Setting aps to cache to the SD card has really helped with the limited internal storage of the desire (my main reason for rooting). Also the gallery that comes with it is loads better than stock.
I think I need to spend more time setting it up to get the most from it.
I'm tempted to try the the MIUI rom at some point but need to set aside some geeking time.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#341 Re: There's an app for that?
November 11, 2011, 01:22:02 pm
I use CyanogenMod and have done on my 2 Android phones thus far - on the whole I have found it much better than HTC's and Samsung's stock ROMs but you need to know what you're getting in to, some of which I will explain below...

Well after failing to get the new gmail update to work correctly I finally flashed a Custom ROM last night (Cyanogen 7.1.1). I was pretty disapointed to find the stable release was unstable and that the status bar etc. just wasn't there and the first thing I encountered was a mass of Force Close messages!

This can happen sometimes and may just mean that you need to wipe and re-flash the ROM and Google apps packages

Reading a bit further a thread suggested the nightly build was actually stable so I tried that and it seems to be working swimmingly. However, what Cyanogen gives with one hand it seems to take away with the other. For instance, I think its pretty handy in the messaging app (HTC Sense UI) that there's a link to your phonebook, in this I seem to have to type the name and then take the first number even if there's three and god knows how you send to multiple people?

Nightly builds are as the name suggests the latest versions built every night and include the latest fixes for issues but sometimes these fixes cause other issues which then need to be fixed - essentially a 'stable' ROM is the end product of sometimes hundreds of nightlies that have then resolved all issues and provide the desired functionality of that ROM - does that make sense?

Simple things like the stopwatch and timer are no more and although I can get them from the market, they're not as neatly intergrated and I'm yet to find one as good.

These apps are baked in to the proprietary ROMs that each handset manufacturer usually makes for each device and for example in the case of HTC includes their 'Sense UI' which push a flashy and glossy front end on to the 'base' or 'stock' Android OS - this is the reason that some custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod are faster because they don't have all of this 'gloss' to process and render, and this goes back to my opening statement of knowing what you are getting in to.
If you want a flashy ROM which proprietary/built in functions then the manufacturers ROMs may be the way to go.
If you want a fast ROM that can allow you to do more with the device, add programs you want and that does not have some bloatware in there then a custom ROM may be your best bet.

Again, let me know if this makes sense or if you want me to dip in to anything further - I will try and help where I can but don't pretend to know Android inside about, but am a keen custom ROM community member.

Thankfully I made a backup before flashing so theoretically it should be easy enough to go back (I've also made a backup of this setup and a seperate backup [using Titanium] of apps and system data. If I've got that right I can now switch between two setups or use a new custom ROM and titanium to get up to speed pretty quickly?

ALWAYS take a backup before you tinker with or change your ROM, and then backup the contents of your SD card to your PC or something as this is where this data is stored in case you corrupt your SD card.
Unfortunately I might be there bearer of bad news - Titanium Backup on backups up your apps and app data, and your system settings so I am guessing this is all you have.
In order to do a full backup you generally need a custom recovery image (its been so long since I had a stock recovery image that I can't remember if it has this functionality, so happy to be proven wrong here). You 'recovery' is kind of like your BIOS on a PC but allows you to backup your full phone (OS, app, settings etc) and play around with other options, do full wipes (important before flashing ROMs) and other functionality.

As you have likely realised in reading this I am quite in to the topic so let me know if you have any questions and I'll help if I can (and will try to help find the answer if I don't).

Peace out.  :-[

Paul B

• forum hero
#342 Re: There's an app for that?
November 11, 2011, 01:36:50 pm
Nightly builds are as the name suggests the latest versions built every night and include the latest fixes for issues but sometimes these fixes cause other issues which then need to be fixed - essentially a 'stable' ROM is the end product of sometimes hundreds of nightlies that have then resolved all issues and provide the desired functionality of that ROM - does that make sense?

I completely understand this but I still think (and the thread I found suggests I'm not alone) that releasing something as a stable build with a glaringly obvious error that wasn't previously present is pretty poor. Ok, so the nightly may progress past 'new' issues that are found in stable builds and thus be better but this was down to basics; battery, signal etc.

I can deal without the glossy UI, thats fine. However things such as not being able to access your phonebook from the messaging app seems to be another very basic flaw especially when typing will only take the 1st number for a person which isn't always correct, how do you get around this?

Now that I've got root access does that not allow me to use superuser functions such as overclocking anyway? Granted, I'll never get away from the added bloat...

Oh and the backups I have are:
backup image of stock ROm and all my crap
backup image of Cyangogen nightly + all of my crap.
Titanium, system data, apps, settings.

That combination (I think), allows me to jump between Stock and Cyanogen and then if there's an update or other ROM to flash I can just use the Titanium stuff to get up and running quickly. It certainly allowed me to go back to how it was.

On the note of speed, it did seem slightly faster. However, neither mine + crap, or cyanogen + google apps felt anywhere near as swift as the other Wildfire that Nat uses which is basically straight out of the box.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#343 Re: There's an app for that?
November 11, 2011, 01:56:01 pm

I completely understand this but I still think (and the thread I found suggests I'm not alone) that releasing something as a stable build with a glaringly obvious error that wasn't previously present is pretty poor. Ok, so the nightly may progress past 'new' issues that are found in stable builds and thus be better but this was down to basics; battery, signal etc.

Nightlies should not be considered stable because of what they are - a revision of code to test new functionality and find other/new bugs. I can't speak for the forum you are referring to but thats how I see it. There are Release Candidates (RC's) which are more stable and then the full stable versions themselves outside of nightlies.
I can't speak for the install on a device either as any number of things can and do go wrong every now and again with flashes of ROMs - a re-flash might fix your issues and it has done with mine a few times.

I can deal without the glossy UI, thats fine. However things such as not being able to access your phonebook from the messaging app seems to be another very basic flaw especially when typing will only take the 1st number for a person which isn't always correct, how do you get around this?

Not sure how your phone is set up but when I go in to the messaging app on my phone and type in someone's name with multiple numbers then it gives me them as options.

Now that I've got root access does that not allow me to use superuser functions such as overclocking anyway? Granted, I'll never get away from the added bloat...

Yep, suppose you can.
Haven't tried it myself so I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Oh and the backups I have are:
backup image of stock ROm and all my crap
backup image of Cyangogen nightly + all of my crap.
Titanium, system data, apps, settings.

That combination (I think), allows me to jump between Stock and Cyanogen and then if there's an update or other ROM to flash I can just use the Titanium stuff to get up and running quickly. It certainly allowed me to go back to how it was.

Cool, so you're covered there.

On the note of speed, it did seem slightly faster. However, neither mine + crap, or cyanogen + google apps felt anywhere near as swift as the other Wildfire that Nat uses which is basically straight out of the box.

Interesting...
As with anything computery I guess it could be any number of reasons from apps installed, numbers of apps, settings etc.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#344 Re: There's an app for that?
November 14, 2011, 08:53:10 am
Replicant for Android uber-geeks only (its a 100% open source version of Android).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#345 Re: There's an app for that?
November 14, 2011, 02:58:55 pm
Any suggestions for cataloguing tools for books/CD/DVD/games/etc.?

I'm going to clear some shelf space but before boxing books up want to record what I have in a database.  Tedious to type all that shit out so am after an app that scans the barcode or takes the ISBN as input, nips off to some online db (be that Amazon or whatever) and returns all the details for me.  I can then tag them as I desire and eventually find things if I decide I need or want to sell them again.

I tried Shelves and My Collection this morning, but neither could retrieve details for my copy of Hueco Tanks : Climbing & Bouldering Guide and whilst I've not masses of obscure climbing guides, I've a fair few older books.

Anyone who has used anything like this with recommendations for/against your insight would be appreciated.

lukeh

• addict
#346 Re: There's an app for that?
November 15, 2011, 02:11:56 pm
Any suggestions for cataloguing tools for books/CD/DVD/games/etc.?

The HandyMarket Barcode Scanner by Qpen.NET may be a partial fix. It searches Amazon for the barcode, so as long as the book you have is on there it should work, so solves the problem of things not being found (pretty big database!). Its an extra click to save it to your amazon's wishlist. Which is the problem, as the wishlist is not very exportable. You can cut and paste from the compact print list on amazons site, but this leaves the items name author etc all on one line (possibly fixable with some excel trickery...).

Good luck!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#347 Re: There's an app for that?
November 15, 2011, 02:25:50 pm
Cheers for the suggestion, looking for something thats native rather than saving to Amazon wishlist (would likely end up buying something I've already got!).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

ben

• obsessive maniac
#349 Re: There's an app for that?
December 06, 2011, 11:46:15 am
any recommendations for an Android app to play mp3/wma files on my HTC Desire?

Have been using Mort player but it's not great.  Would rather not have ad's, happy to pay a couple of quid for a decent player..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal