UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 221851 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#275 Re: There's an app for that?
August 23, 2011, 06:41:07 pm
Cerberus

(Getting seriously fed up with being stuck on 2.1 and too lazy to bother rooting the phone now as I'll be buying a new one myself in a few months).

Tsk Tsk :) not the latest build? Say three hail marys to the Linux penguin and flagellate yourself with birch sticks :)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#276 Re: There's an app for that?
August 23, 2011, 07:11:46 pm
New version of Swype available:

Looks OK but it has removed all the words that I had added to the dictionary and as if that was not enough seems to have searched through my list of contacts and added those into my new dictionary instead.  :-\

Paul B

• forum hero
#277 Re: There's an app for that?
August 23, 2011, 11:17:43 pm
the previous beta didn't seem to store any of my words anyway. I've spealt f*ck a tonne of times yet I can't swype to spell it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#278 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 08:47:43 am
Tsk Tsk :) not the latest build? Say three hail marys to the Linux penguin and flagellate yourself with birch sticks :)

The foibles of buying from a third-party (proprietary) seller like T-Mobile who are thick as shit when it comes to updates and seem to lag 10months behind (compunded by HTC not updating the ROM for the Hero beyond 2.1  :furious:).  Still will purchase my own phone and do as I please in a few months, be interesting to see what comes out to compete/supersede the Sensation/GII.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#279 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 09:05:19 am
the previous beta didn't seem to store any of my words anyway. I've spealt f*ck a tonne of times yet I can't swype to spell it.

The process for saving words to the dictionary wasn't the most intuitive in the world. It seems to be the same in the new version, type "word", select "word", select Add "word" to dictionary and it should be there. I will now await a reply saying that was what you were doing in the first place...  ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#280 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 09:13:32 am
Still will purchase my own phone and do as I please in a few months, be interesting to see what comes out to compete/supersede the Sensation/GII.

Mate of mine has just got a Galaxy S2. It's fucking awesome. He's amazed by it and he used to be an iphonegaylord. Gotta be between that and the Sensation at the moment.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#281 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 09:24:48 am

Watchoo talkin bout Willis? If you type a new word it doesn't know then it asks you "Add Word?". Do that once and it knows it from then on.

Looks OK but it has removed all the words that I had added to the dictionary and as if that was not enough seems to have searched through my list of contacts and added those into my new dictionary instead.  :-\

I've not updated yet but that sounds a bit annoying if you have to teach it again. The previous version already recognised names from my contacts though (which I find quite useful).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#282 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 09:29:27 am
Still will purchase my own phone and do as I please in a few months, be interesting to see what comes out to compete/supersede the Sensation/GII.

Mate of mine has just got a Galaxy S2. It's fucking awesome. He's amazed by it and he used to be an iphonegaylord. Gotta be between that and the Sensation at the moment.

Thats the toss up decision I'm likely to make in a few months unless anything else comes along (but may still go with those if the price drops).  Could easily be swayed against the Samsung GII by the fact that they sponsored Kenton Cool to take one to the top of Everest.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
  • BFG (Bouldering Freak of Gangliness)
#283 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 09:37:56 am

Thats the toss up decision I'm likely to make in a few months unless anything else comes along (but may still go with those if the price drops).  Could easily be swayed against the Samsung GII by the fact that they sponsored Kenton Cool to take one to the top of Everest.

I have the Galaxy S2 and can honestly say it is the most awesome phone I have ever owned!
I had the HTC Desire before and while good, the GS2 is so much faster and the screen is MMM :hug:
I am running CyanogenMod on it and it scores higher on Quadrant with this compared to the stock ROM, but then I am a bit of a CyanogenMod fanboy...  :-[

There is so much app space on it that I have almost double the apps I had on my Desire, am only using up a quarter of the available 2GB app space and I haven't moved a thing to the SD card!
Plus it has 16GB of internal 'SD' space and I transferred my 32GB micro SD card from my Desire which I have music and movies on for entertainment.  :popcorn:

Edit: As a footnote the reason I went for the SG2 over the Sensation (and I don't mind admitting that I did quite a bit of research before making my decision) was the difference in the screens between the 2 - the SG2 looks miles ahead in this department and most reviews of the Sensation suggested that they cheaped out on the screen.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#284 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 09:40:00 am
Should add that the install last night didn't go exactly to plan, deleted the current version of Swype and then ran the installer which told me that there was new version of the installer available. Selected the option to upgrade that and it threw a parse error so I just deleted the installer and downloaded the new version which then allowed me to get the upgraded version of Swype. It may well be that it thought that is was a "new" install from scratch and didn't import the old dictionary.

To be honest it is no great hassle to add words back to the dictionary again, it was the importing of random (and it was very random) parts of my contacts list to the dictionary that annoyed me more.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#285 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 10:13:39 am

I have the Galaxy S2 and can honestly say it is the most awesome phone I have ever owned!

What's the battery life like?  :off:

Fatboy

• menacing presence
#286 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 10:26:21 am

What's the battery life like?  :off:

Its getting better as the battery breaks in.
When I first got it and admittedly was using it non-stop I got about 8 hours out of it, but now that I have had it a few weeks but still with heavy use I get around 14 hours before I get warning about being <20% charge.
If I play some of the CPU/GPU intensive games for half an hour then that can take 10% off the charge straight away but that's the price you gotta pay!

Its not really an issue as far as I am concerned though as I work in front of a computer so can have it plugged in for most of the day, then any time I am wanting a longer battery life down at the crag etc then I won't be using it heavily anyway and the battery will last a lot longer as a result.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#287 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 10:40:26 am
I had the HTC Desire before and while good, the GS2 is so much faster and the screen is MMM :hug:

Course its going to be faster than the Desire, its peer from HTC is...

Edit: As a footnote the reason I went for the SG2 over the Sensation (and I don't mind admitting that I did quite a bit of research before making my decision) was the difference in the screens between the 2 - the SG2 looks miles ahead in this department and most reviews of the Sensation suggested that they cheaped out on the screen.

Both of which are dual-core, whilst the Desire is only single-core.  Plus the dual cores run at 1.2Ghz in both, Desire only 1Ghz.

Differences in the screens (capacative v's amoled) are intriguing fortunately a mate of mine has plumped for the GII so I'll be able to check it out before deciding.

Be interesting to see if Google/Motorola knock anything out at the high-end spec (esp as HTC were making the "Google Phone"/Nexus')

Fatboy

• menacing presence
#288 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 11:34:48 am

Course its going to be faster than the Desire, its peer from HTC is...

Both of which are dual-core, whilst the Desire is only single-core.  Plus the dual cores run at 1.2Ghz in both, Desire only 1Ghz.

Differences in the screens (capacative v's amoled) are intriguing fortunately a mate of mine has plumped for the GII so I'll be able to check it out before deciding.

Be interesting to see if Google/Motorola knock anything out at the high-end spec (esp as HTC were making the "Google Phone"/Nexus')

Point taken about the Desire being an older generation of phone - the difference in the screen is amazing though.
Be interested to hear your thoughts once you've seen your mates GS2.

Yeah, I can't imagine Googorola will take long to turn some beastly device out although I reckon they primarily went with Motorola for more of the business piece. Doesn't mean they can't turn out some tasty consumer devices too though!  :)

Edit: Just being pernickerty here but Samsung made the last Google phone, Slackers, the Nexus S based on the original Galaxy S.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#289 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 11:40:22 am

Edit: Just being pernickerty here but Samsung made the last Google phone, Slackers, the Nexus S based on the original Galaxy S.

:oops: I clocked that just after, although had the original Nexus in mind when writing.

Fatboy

• menacing presence
#290 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 11:56:25 am
Anyway, apologies for the  :off: -ness of that...  :-[
Back to apps and there is a really addictive but simple car game that has lost me a few hours over the last few nights - Drag Racing.

A bit of skill/timing when racing, choosing your upgrades wisely and, obviously, your painjob!  :whistle:

Fatboy

• menacing presence
#291 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 12:01:18 pm
Oo, and Gun Bros which is an awesome shooter that you can play with mates by connecting via Facebook!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
    • blog of butters
#292 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 12:02:20 pm
Well the Copy and Paste gesture on swype is a rather useful new feature.  :great:

Fatboy

• menacing presence
#293 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 12:17:49 pm
Well the Copy and Paste gesture on swype is a rather useful new feature.  :great:

That looks cool alright - will try it out later myself!

Fatboy

• menacing presence
#294 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 04:01:07 pm
Errr, slight and impending bump in the road for anyone looking to acquire a GS2 in the Netherlands any time soon...  :-\

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#295 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 04:21:12 pm
Shouldn't this be in the "Apple are a bunch of cunts" thread?

There isn't one you say? Why!?

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#296 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 05:56:23 pm
Quick note on Desire, I upgraded to Gingerbread the other day and have noticed improved battery life and better image quality. Although I could be imagining the latter as I only have my memory of how it was to go on.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#297 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 07:01:04 pm
Just upgraded to the sensation, was a close call over the galaxy s2 but felt the s2 was a bit too thin and light for my liking. Just trying to get used to Swype...might take some perseverance!  I'll update with my thoughts later!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#298 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 07:31:36 pm
you probably already have it, but the fashonable bloke at work has an Adidas app on his i-fern that identifies which of their trainers most closely resemble one that you have photographed

it's like a sneakers pr0n app

rich d

• forum hero
#299 Re: There's an app for that?
August 24, 2011, 08:39:19 pm
Does anyone use an app for blogging? (I'm on blackberry so I use the phrase app loosely)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal