UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 219993 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#175 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 05:57:42 pm
I've used evernote a bit and it's pretty good.

Some good suggestions there - but none of them allow you to type notes, copy and paste in text/pics AND doodles from the screen... grr..

Paul B

• forum hero
#176 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 09:34:49 pm
I'm guessing I'm using my android for a lot less technical stuff than most of you (actually i have trouble thinking of things I would want it to do beyond games, email and weather forecasts, and act like a phone...) but I'm liking Rainwatch, which takes the Met Office rainfall map data and presents it well so you can scroll through the forecast easily. Only does the forecast for the next couple of days though.

good beta. The Met office rainradar is fantastic for seeing whats going on in the Peak.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#177 Re: There's an app for that?
May 13, 2011, 09:23:21 am
Subsonic stream your music from your home computer to your Android phone.

Server software costs €10 for a lifetime license.

I've already done this using free software, setup Music Player Daemon and then use MPDroid (although yet to do it on my NAS).

An advantage being that once you set port-forwarding on your router you can listen from any computer, so I can sit at work and stream my music over t'internet to my desktop and not just my phone.

The disadvantage is you need to be a geek to bother.

Paul B

• forum hero
#178 Re: There's an app for that?
May 13, 2011, 01:08:41 pm
I believe you can do the same for free on Tversity (free edition as well as paid).

tomtom

• forum hero
#179 Re: There's an app for that?
May 21, 2011, 10:09:51 am
Especially for those UKB'ers who've migrated to the East End of London, introducing 'Angry Hipsters'  - a take on angry birds, but -- you get the jist from the picture. Apparetly its not bad, and streams the soundtrack from some last.fm style service etc..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#180 Re: There's an app for that?
May 25, 2011, 07:05:55 am
Not sure I'd use it often but SendSpace sounds handy.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#181 Re: There's an app for that?
May 25, 2011, 05:51:43 pm
Has anyone come across an Android app they could recommend for recording/ planning training? I used to use a spread sheet on my ipaq, nice and simple. I've looked at a lot of calendar apps and none of them do it for me, either too busy or too shit.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#182 Re: There's an app for that?
May 26, 2011, 04:08:48 pm
Don't use one myself, but saying what you've tried and are dissatisfied with might help prevent people suggesting things you've already tried.

HTC may well lift bootloader lockdowns

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#183 Re: There's an app for that?
May 26, 2011, 04:25:06 pm
Has anyone come across an Android app they could recommend for recording/ planning training? I used to use a spread sheet on my ipaq, nice and simple. I've looked at a lot of calendar apps and none of them do it for me, either too busy or too shit.

Best Calendar app that I have found is Touch Calendar which accesses your Google Calendar (assuming you have one set up). The other option that springs to mind would be Google Docs

Paul B

• forum hero
#184 Re: There's an app for that?
May 26, 2011, 04:42:02 pm

I hope that trickles down to the Wildfire as I increasingly feel like it could do with a few tweaks. When doing anything with it whilst it receives a call it stops, takes a moments pause (long enough for you to wonder whats up with it) and THEN starts ringing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#185 Re: There's an app for that?
May 26, 2011, 04:47:27 pm

I hope that trickles down to the Wildfire as I increasingly feel like it could do with a few tweaks. When doing anything with it whilst it receives a call it stops, takes a moments pause (long enough for you to wonder whats up with it) and THEN starts ringing.

Article indicates that its newer phones and started happening when the Incerdible S came out....

The vendor had previously allowed device owners to unlock the bootloader on the device but placed restrictions on its latest range of Android smartphones starting with the Incredible S in March, ensuring its customers could no longer load custom firmware onto their devices.

Paul B

• forum hero
#186 Re: There's an app for that?
May 26, 2011, 05:06:11 pm
the 2.2 updates to the wildfire included an updated bootloader and I don't believe anyone has managed to either downgrade to 2.1 or flash it with a custom ROM

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#187 Re: There's an app for that?
May 26, 2011, 05:46:53 pm
That's right from what I've read.

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#188 Re: There's an app for that?
May 26, 2011, 11:29:07 pm
Don't use one myself, but saying what you've tried and are dissatisfied with might help prevent people suggesting things you've already tried.

Yeh, fair point. I've tried Business Calendar, Jortle and Touch Calendar. Currently rocking Touch Calendar for calendar stuff but have set it to sink with work calendar so don't want to mix the two up.

Best Calendar app that I have found is Touch Calendar which accesses your Google Calendar (assuming you have one set up). The other option that springs to mind would be Google Docs.
Google docs is a good shout. I have a paper spreadsheet of each month on A4 (a la R.Simpson) that I find helpful to plan/ track training. An electronic version would be ace. Obviously excel on ipaq was bon for this.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#189 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 12:05:33 am
the 2.2 updates to the wildfire included an updated bootloader and I don't believe anyone has managed to either downgrade to 2.1 or flash it with a custom ROM

Not heard that, cheers.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#190 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 12:15:21 am

Yeh, fair point. I've tried Business Calendar, Jortle and Touch Calendar. Currently rocking Touch Calendar for calendar stuff but have set it to sink with work calendar so don't want to mix the two up.

Google Docs sounds like it is the way forward.

The paid for version of Touch Calendar (approx. half a fuck-all) allows you to use different colours for each calendar to make them easier to differentiate between but I don't know if that is restricted to Google calendars only - could be worth checking out though as an alternative.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#191 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 10:27:31 am

Not heard that, cheers.

Just had a thought, which 2.2 update is it thats causing this?  Is it the official ones from the phone companies which will have trickled down from HTC or the cyanogenmod custom ROM type ones?  Presumably the later won't include such an updated bootloader (unless of course its based on the HTC version which includes them).

tomtom

• forum hero
#192 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 11:13:38 am

Google Docs sounds like it is the way forward.

The paid for version of Touch Calendar (approx. half a fuck-all) allows you to use different colours for each calendar to make them easier to differentiate between but I don't know if that is restricted to Google calendars only - could be worth checking out though as an alternative.

Google docs is 'nearly' a killer app IMHO. On all platforms its just not quite polished enough for anything more than basic ish text use with the odd figure. I use it quite a bit for article/doc preparation between multiple authors and it's good but just that little bit too clunky/bland....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#193 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 11:26:15 am
it's good but just that little bit too clunky/bland....

At its heart though its still a Word Processor, which will never be as polished as a mark-up language.

I do like the Google Docs app on Android though, fits things into a small screen very well.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#194 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 11:29:57 am

Not heard that, cheers.

Just had a thought, which 2.2 update is it thats causing this?  Is it the official ones from the phone companies which will have trickled down from HTC

Yes.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#195 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 11:34:42 am
So if you're on 2.1, root your phone and upgrade to a >=2.2 ROM from Cyanogen/XDA/Evo/etc. you can avoid that problem.

That said, HTC have announced they will now be removing the bootloader lock, all you have to do now is wait for them to release an update if your stuck with a locked bootloader.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#197 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 11:58:21 am
So if you're on 2.1, root your phone and upgrade to a >=2.2 ROM from Cyanogen/XDA/Evo/etc. you can avoid that problem.

That said, HTC have announced they will now be removing the bootloader lock, all you have to do now is wait for them to release an update if your stuck with a locked bootloader.

That's right. I didn't bother rooting my phone when I was on 2.1 and it was only when I was thinking of trying it (after getting 2.2) that I found out about the bootloader thing. Not too fussed as the phone works fine on 2.2 and I can get a new one in a few months anyway.

Paul B

• forum hero

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#199 Re: There's an app for that?
May 27, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
Should I know what this bootloader thing is? 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal