UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 221868 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#150 Re: There's an app for that?
May 11, 2011, 05:54:39 pm
I haven't got a clue what you are on about.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#151 Re: There's an app for that?
May 11, 2011, 06:58:59 pm

Do you keep a "ToDo" list for anything?

I  do (for work, climbing, shopping etc.), and I keep it on my computer, but I use multiple computers and my phone and would like to have the same ToDo list available everywhere and be able to add to it from any device and have those notes appear consistent across all computers/phone.

This does that.  8)

tomtom

• forum hero
#152 Re: There's an app for that?
May 11, 2011, 08:02:17 pm
Has anyone used a notebook app?

I take a notebook into meetings, to jot down what I have to do etc.. and I use it to take notes of thoughts, ideas blah blah... but I've just lost my most recent one (grr...) with 2 months of quite useful ramblings inside it. So often having iphone, PC etc.. (maybe at some point some sort of tablet in the future) I thought that some sort of digital notebook thingy that updates between machines etc.. would be a good idea. Anyone used one? heard of one? any reccomendations? I could use a text file that I update via dropbox or something, but it would be good to have something I could cut and paste into and even insert doodles etc.. instead of just text...

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#153 Re: There's an app for that?
May 11, 2011, 08:40:42 pm

I  do (for work, climbing, shopping etc.), and I keep it on my computer, but I use multiple computers and my phone and would like to have the same ToDo list available everywhere and be able to add to it from any device and have those notes appear consistent across all computers/phone.

This does that.  8)

As much as I love Tasker it would be a far simpler approach to use the Catch app with the Firefox extension (in Beta) to do that. Highlight anything on your computer, right click and upload it. Add a Bookmark to catch.com (assuming that you can not remember the URL  ;) ) and you have access to your notes from any of your computers. There is also the option to email notes as well and while you only get 70Mb per month on the free account it should be enough to do the To-Do list sharing that you are looking for.

EDIT - It could work for you as well Tomtom as it works on the gayPhone but the storage options aren't cheap according to the article linked above.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:47:00 pm by butters »

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#154 Re: There's an app for that?
May 11, 2011, 11:45:28 pm
Just installed and tried Cam Scanner for android. 'Scans' documents using the camera, trims them and saves as pdf or pic file. Very useful indeed. Files are smaller than taking photos, you can tag the scanned images and search through them easily.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/camscanner-phone-pdf-creator/com.intsig.camscanner

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#155 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 08:42:10 am
As much as I love Tasker it would be a far simpler approach to use the Catch app with the Firefox extension (in Beta) to do that. Highlight anything on your computer, right click and upload it. Add a Bookmark to catch.com (assuming that you can not remember the URL  ;) ) and you have access to your notes from any of your computers. There is also the option to email notes as well and while you only get 70Mb per month on the free account it should be enough to do the To-Do list sharing that you are looking for.

EDIT - It could work for you as well Tomtom as it works on the gayPhone but the storage options aren't cheap according to the article linked above.

Its not so much Tasker that has driven my use of MobileOrg, but my use and love of Emacs and discovering Org-Mode a month or so ago.  I use it all the time at work and home and basically whenever I'm sat in front of a computer, once the key-strokes have been committed to memory its so quick to switch between buffers, saving files as you go, and Org-Mode itself is simple and effective to use.

Whilst Catch also has dictation capabilities, the fact that Tasker can be employed to dictate notes to the MobileOrg app is just a bonus for me, integration with my "work" environment is more important than having a dedicated app to do something which I then have to learn/get used to (yes I have to learn MobileOrg too, but it integrates with what I already use).

Anyway, another useful app discovered whilst getting all this to work which is useful if you ever need to debug or send error reports is...

CatLog which reads the logcat and can be searched for strings and then saved to text (either on SD, within Dropbox folder or sent as an email) so you can provide feedback to developers and troubleshoot problems.  Unlikely to be of use/interest to many though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#156 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 08:48:47 am

Yes, I use one of those ultra slimline multiplatform virtually free disposable tablets with no power requirements for such things.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#157 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 08:52:44 am

Yes, I use one of those ultra slimline multiplatform virtually free disposable tablets with no power requirements for such things.

Me too, its so thin, it lives in my back pocket and i don't even notice it

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#158 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 09:18:02 am
Paper isn't geeky enough for me.  :whistle:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#159 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 09:34:05 am

The ones that are made from a natural, renewable, carbon neutral resource?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#160 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 09:39:35 am

The ones that are made from a natural, renewable, carbon neutral resource?

...and easy to lose?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#161 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 10:37:50 am
That's the one lagers.

...and easy to lose?

I avoid that by not being an idiot and not losing them.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#162 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 10:43:28 am
I'm an idiot and lose bits of paper, well actually its my own fault most of the time for putting them into the recycling bin without checking what they are, so that makes me an even bigger idiot, but I'm in rush to recycle my phone.

Anyway, whats the point of having a smart phone if you're not going to use it for something geeky?  More useful than having an app that makes stupid noises a la The Apprentice last night.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#163 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 10:52:34 am
I haven't a clue about all that complicated stuff but I use Astrid to keep track of what work I have to do, important reference numbers, how much money people owe me etc. As I always have my phone on me I don't feel the need to sync it with anything else and it's dead simple and nice to use.

That Google Docs app is very cool. Can now access my Font problem "maybe some time before you die if you're really really lucky" ticklist spreadsheet from my phone complete with hyperlinks to Bleau.info.

8)

Anyway, whats the point of having a smart phone if you're not going to use it for something geeky?

Although I'm a total luddite in comparison to you I agree. Most people's who have smartphones either don't use them for much more than a non smart phone can do or fill them with stupid games and apps that make farting noises.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#164 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 11:02:41 am
I haven't a clue about all that complicated stuff but I use Astrid to keep track of what work I have to do, important reference numbers, how much money people owe me etc. As I always have my phone on me I don't feel the need to sync it with anything else and it's dead simple and nice to use.

That Google Docs app is very cool. Can now access my Font problem "maybe some time before you die if you're really really lucky" ticklist spreadsheet from my phone complete with hyperlinks to Bleau.info.

8)

:-\ so why isn't your ticklist in Astrid then?   :fishing: :jab: :tease:

Anyway, whats the point of having a smart phone if you're not going to use it for something geeky?

Although I'm a total luddite in comparison to you I agree. Most people's who have smartphones either don't use them for much more than a non smart phone can do or fill them with stupid games and apps that make farting noises.

:clap2: :hug: Mrs slackers doesn't make as much use of her phone as she could (although I wouldn't subject her to the MobileOrg stuff, she doesn't use Emacs), but she does use the net a fair bit for Farcebook and Twitter, and uses it for emails too.  Just a shame she's on Orange and as such can barely get a signal once 1ft inside a building (should probably set her up with roaming on T-mobile/Orange properly).

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#165 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 11:04:45 am
I use Astrid to keep track of what work I have to do, important reference numbers, how much money people owe me etc.

Is she that Swedish secretary with the long legs?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#166 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 11:05:31 am
I've got a burping app that's hilarious!

Have I bollocks. Must admit that both the app ideas on the Apprentice were nothing short of tragic.

I admit I probably don't use mine to its fullest potential, but I do use it to a level where it meets my needs. Is there any point in trying to make it do any more than that?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#167 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 11:10:34 am
Can now access my Font problem "maybe some time before you die if you're really really lucky" ticklist spreadsheet from my phone complete with hyperlinks to Bleau.info.

what's wrong with just using this for that list?

http://bleau.info/shop/degres6.html

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#168 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 11:11:15 am
I do use it to a level where it meets my needs. Is there any point in trying to make it do any more than that?

No, thats exactly the level you should be using it at (but if that doesn't include a fair amount of net usage then you're likely paying over the odds and wasting your money).  Everyones (well most peoples) needs change over time though, which is one of the reasons this thread is here, so that we can share the useful things we've discovered e.g. FlexT9/Swype is something that several people have found very useful.

My needs included syncing my notes across computers and my phone which is how I discovered and have started using MobileOrg.  Like I said it probably wouldn't be of much interest to anyone else unless they already used Emacs.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#169 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 11:23:06 am
Can now access my Font problem "maybe some time before you die if you're really really lucky" ticklist spreadsheet from my phone complete with hyperlinks to Bleau.info.

what's wrong with just using this for that list?

http://bleau.info/shop/degres6.html

You're just jealous.  ;D

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#170 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 02:42:02 pm
http://market.android.com/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator ]Google Authenticator [/url] gives a second layer of security to your account.  Could be handy for when your playstation steals all your personal info.

It is probably ott if you have different strong passwords for everything but for minimal hassle it could save a lot of faff..

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#171 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 04:15:17 pm
Has anyone used a notebook app?

I take a notebook into meetings, to jot down what I have to do etc.. and I use it to take notes of thoughts, ideas blah blah... but I've just lost my most recent one (grr...) with 2 months of quite useful ramblings inside it. So often having iphone, PC etc.. (maybe at some point some sort of tablet in the future) I thought that some sort of digital notebook thingy that updates between machines etc.. would be a good idea. Anyone used one? heard of one? any reccomendations? I could use a text file that I update via dropbox or something, but it would be good to have something I could cut and paste into and even insert doodles etc.. instead of just text...

tom, there;s an iOS app called Evernote (http://www.evernote.com/) which seems pretty cool (I have downloaded it but don't actually own an iOS device that can make use of its full functionality.

Basically it's not a "note-taker", but rather you can take photos of handwritten notes or flyers, posters whatever and it uses OCR to recognise the characters to provide a searchable database of your notes/photos/whatever.

sounds cool and also has a companion web app.

if only i could afford an iToy!

edit: on second viewing i don't think it is iOS specific (is it?) - there's certainly a windows version at least.

cofe

• forum hero
#172 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 04:23:20 pm
I've used evernote a bit and it's pretty good.

chris j

• forum abuser
#173 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 04:24:30 pm
I'm guessing I'm using my android for a lot less technical stuff than most of you (actually i have trouble thinking of things I would want it to do beyond games, email and weather forecasts, and act like a phone...) but I'm liking Rainwatch, which takes the Met Office rainfall map data and presents it well so you can scroll through the forecast easily. Only does the forecast for the next couple of days though.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#174 Re: There's an app for that?
May 12, 2011, 05:54:21 pm
I frickin love you all! I've been using 'Rememberthemilk' for a while and I liked it but was annoyed it wanted to charge for Android sync. Nice interface but not enough to pay for. Just set up Producteev and Astrid and it looks just the ticket. Even better Producteev did a import from RTM!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal