UKBouldering.com

There's an app for that? (Read 220021 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#100 Re: There's an app for that?
February 22, 2011, 02:30:11 am
I'm starting to get a little frustrated with force closes and battery life;

I was thinking of trying Cyanogenmod or something else. I thought Unrevoked was available but I can't get it to work and there seems to be a lot of conflicting info as to whether or not it IS indeed working for 2.2 Wildfire's (can anyone shed any light?).

Failing that is therre a way to go back to 2.1, maybe by a hard reset? Or will the OTA update have changed that to 2.2?

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#101 Re: There's an app for that?
February 22, 2011, 08:55:17 am
Another big up for Tasker. I've got mine identifying when I'm in work then calculating how much earlier or later from 9am I arrived. It then rounds it up to the nearest 15mins and automatically submits a time in lieu entry into my Outlook calendar  8)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#102 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2011, 10:06:55 pm
Vaguely on topic....

I have some ideas for apps. Not all of which are shit/mental (this assessment may change next week)

Does anyone have any experience of getting apps made/developed/sold or selling the idea to a developer? any tips?

Google throws up a few ideas, but I have no direct experience of smart phones, so haven't got a clue about it all.

tomtom

• forum hero
#103 Re: There's an app for that?
February 25, 2011, 10:20:59 pm
Can't remember who, but someone on here did a great job with the bowderstone/minus 10 topo apps.. Worth a search?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#104 Re: There's an app for that?
March 03, 2011, 03:31:32 pm
Can't remember who, but someone on here did a great job with the bowderstone/minus 10 topo apps.. Worth a search?

The Send

In my tired state whilst trying to regain some sort of semblance of normality with a couple of pints at lunch time I went ahead and purchased my second app Flext9 after a friend told me about it earlier in the week and I saw it again on Reg Hardware : Android App of the Week.

First impressions are that its very nice, easy and simple to set up and use for text entry, not tried voice recognition yet, but for £3.07 it was probably a good idea I spent it on that than a third pint.  Will report back if it pisses me off.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#105 Re: There's an app for that?
March 03, 2011, 03:51:48 pm
As it says, once you've used a Swype style keyboard, single tapping seems really slow.

Paul B

• forum hero
#106 Re: There's an app for that?
March 04, 2011, 05:31:25 pm
As it says, once you've used a Swype style keyboard, single tapping seems really slow.

although I find when I pick up Nat's phone that her tap-tap style keyboard seems a lot more responsive than my SlideIT version. I'm thinking this is due to my diminuitive processor power.

Its lack of £ symbol is frustrating me ever so slightly.

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#107 Re: There's an app for that?
March 04, 2011, 11:08:22 pm

The Send

that'll be me  :wave: largers PM me if you wanted to talk through any ideas

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#108 Re: There's an app for that?
March 05, 2011, 04:17:39 am
Does anyone have any experience of getting apps made/developed/sold or selling the idea to a developer? any tips?
Unless you're going to develop an app yourself this has got to be a total minefield - confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements/etc.

Might be better to invest time into learning to code apps yourself? Might not be of course, but I'd be intrigued to know about this too.

Paul B

• forum hero
#109 Re: There's an app for that?
March 08, 2011, 02:24:38 pm
I have to say my opinion of Android is rapidly going downhill with all of its various glitches.

Currently I'm wondering why on earth two calendars that worked yesterday, simply won't work today. I haven't changed a thing.

I use a work calendar and one for home which is shared so I know WTF is going on. Currently if something is on the home calendar and doesn't have a work event on the same day, it isn't showing. Thats shitting useless.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#110 Re: There's an app for that?
March 08, 2011, 02:33:47 pm
At least you haven't lost all your emails  :oops:

Android user forums likely the best bet for trouble shooting, never had a problem with my calendar yet, but then I don't really use calendars that much.

Paul B

• forum hero
#111 Re: There's an app for that?
March 08, 2011, 02:35:20 pm
fixed by deleting calendars then re-adding them but all I can see that caused this was turning the audible notifications off.  :thumbsdown:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#112 Re: There's an app for that?
March 08, 2011, 02:42:01 pm
Is this with stock or custom ROM?

I said it earlier but no code is ever completely bug free, if you encounter a problem its well worth reporting it otherwise no one will ever correct it (this is a key aspect of all software projects, whether they're open or not).

Paul B

• forum hero
#113 Re: There's an app for that?
March 08, 2011, 02:43:08 pm
Stock as they come, there's no working root access for Wildifre + Froyo, unrevoked was revoked.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#114 Re: There's an app for that?
March 11, 2011, 10:54:00 am
Sky Maps is a pretty good toy too.

a bloke at work has just showed me this

makes me want to get a modern phone that does that sort of shit

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#115 Re: There's an app for that?
March 11, 2011, 12:06:02 pm
Unless you're going to develop an app yourself this has got to be a total minefield - confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements/etc.

Might be better to invest time into learning to code apps yourself? Might not be of course, but I'd be intrigued to know about this too.

I came across this site when looking for an Android version of the N-Back game where people offer software projects for others to code (at a price).

tomtom

• forum hero

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#117 Re: There's an app for that?
April 01, 2011, 09:11:19 am
I think that the first app has been released by the Lagerstarfish Apps Corporation. With this app your life really is complete (or should that be incomplete)?

NSFW

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#118 Re: There's an app for that?
April 01, 2011, 01:27:39 pm
I think that the first app has been released by the Lagerstarfish Apps Corporation. With this app your life really is complete (or should that be incomplete)?

NSFW

Oh now that is truly genius and is now vying for my most favourite genius thing of the day against this:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#119 Re: There's an app for that?
April 06, 2011, 03:50:34 pm
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Wank-O-Meter is hilarious.

Google Android music app in the offing (i.e. cloud storage and playback).

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#120 Re: There's an app for that?
April 11, 2011, 01:06:03 am
Mightily impressed with the 'droid at the minute and though it is proving a bit of a steep learning curve compared to my old Nokia brick I think I am getting to know how to operate it after four or five days.

Swype is nice - single finger texting is a thing of the past!

Tasker is proving to be an equally powerful and frustrating tool - it is a bit clunky at times and could really do with being a bit more user friendly but after four days I have got it turning off Wi-Fi when not in range of the house, and I think it turns off all sound at two different times depending on whether I am working days or nights using a check on Google Calendar. Fave Profile at the minute is the really simple face down = silent one and there are a couple of others. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#121 Re: There's an app for that?
April 11, 2011, 07:49:29 am
Get the right contract (useful if you log/monitor your phone usage with one of the many apps).

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#122 Re: There's an app for that?
April 17, 2011, 04:04:26 pm
Off to france soon and need a gps app where I can pre-load the maps so i don't get nailed for data abroad. Any one   got any knowledge?

tomtom

• forum hero
#123 Re: There's an app for that?
April 17, 2011, 04:51:57 pm
Off to france soon and need a gps app where I can pre-load the maps so i don't get nailed for data abroad. Any one   got any knowledge?

On the Ifern I use Motion X GPS or GPS motion X (whichever way around). Theres two versions of the app - the freebie lets you download a few maps - the £2 one lets you download unlimited. Regular road maps or contour shaded style maps. works fine. I also (last year) downloaded a £2 sat nav app for france. It was crap. It worked but not very well.. I'd have been better off spending some ££ on a better app. it seemed to think that the fast dual carriage way N roads were narrow N roads - making you go some funny directions....

I dont know if you want these for Android - or if they are there for Android - but they probably are...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#124 Re: There's an app for that?
April 17, 2011, 06:13:12 pm
iphone or windows mobile 6.x - tomtom
android - sygic mobile maps (works on most platforms)
not sure if there is anything out for windows phone 7 yet

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal