UKBouldering.com

campus rungs - any spare? (Read 10151 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
campus rungs - any spare?
January 09, 2011, 03:05:56 pm
Anyone got individual campus rungs for sale? Preferably two of diffferent sizes.

My New Year's resolution to man-up and start deadhanging has met a bit of an impasse.  The most suitable bit of wall only has a narrow strip of usuable brickwork.  Exploratory drilling (failed bid  to mount an old moon board) showed that the most of the wall directly above the door is plaster (might have been an 8' foot doorway there once?).  As a result, I can't accommodate a full board so reckon a couple of wooden rungs, fixed directly into the strip of brick-backed wall would be some compensation. 

Unfortunately, rungs are only sold in five-packs, so having two of different sizes would be pricey and wasteful.  Can anyone help?  And yes... I know I could feasibly make my own but I don't have any suitable tools and I have only to look at wood for it to splinter horribly so I really would prefer to pay for something nicely finished.

Cheers

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#1 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 09, 2011, 04:35:56 pm
What sizes do you want?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 09, 2011, 05:16:09 pm
Well, it's for deadhanging, so I definitely want one 'small' rung of 20mm or a little less, something like the smallest metolius rung would be good (0.75" / 19mm).  Plus a larger one for warming up / one-handed training.  Not sure of the best size but something like either a medium or large metolius rung would do (1"/1.25" or 25/32mm.

rich d

• forum hero
#3 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 09, 2011, 05:30:09 pm
I've just found the same above my kitchen door, so if anyone's got another spare once the Moose has begsied his, I'd love it. Medium or large metolius single would be fantastic.
Rich

Ollie Wragg

#4 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 09, 2011, 05:34:27 pm
Have you thought about skirting-board drilled on a doorframe?  That works a treat!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#5 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 09, 2011, 05:40:58 pm
@richd

.... I share your pain!  I had hoped to be fingerboarding after this weekend.  Instead, I'm making plans to buy polyfilla!  My never-been-used moon board will probably be mounted on a beam in the converted attic - it's a nice enough space but a bit cold and easy to avoid.  If I get some rungs for above the living room door they'll confront me everyday - hopefully encourage impromptu midweek training hits whilst cooking my dinner etc.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#6 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 09, 2011, 05:46:08 pm
Have you thought about skirting-board drilled on a doorframe?  That works a treat!

I can't fix anything on the doorframe or immediately above it - frame's too weak and its just plasterwork immediately above.  Using skirting board is a fall-back option - cheers for the suggestion - but I'd like to at least try to get hold of something with a nice finish and the right size.  I would have thought someone would have spares knocking about - surely not everyone can have enough room to install a full five pack.

rich d

• forum hero
#7 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 09, 2011, 05:49:37 pm
@moose
Me too, got a metolius board in the garage - however it's cold, have to go outside the house to get in there, no TV, very antisocial. Thought having a small board above the kitchen door would inspire me (leave me with no excuse) to pile the time onto deadhangs.
Might have to get some wickes soft wood and give it a go, however my DIY skills and tools are non existent, and if it was an "official" campus rung the wifey will be slightly less shirty about putting it up - rather than some bodged offcut of wood that I stick up.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#8 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 10, 2011, 11:53:05 am
bump... anyone out there plagued by orphaned campus rungs :wave:

Robbie_Phillips

#9 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 11, 2011, 06:53:39 pm
Why don't you buy some of Rock + Run? If not then make them if you can...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#10 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 08:38:48 am
ffs! because as I point out in the original post, the shops only sell them in packs of 5 of the same size and I only want two of different sizes. 

Buying from rock+run would cost £65 and leave me with eight unwanted rungs.  As for making my own, given that I'd have to drive around buying tools, teaching myself to use them, and then finding suitable lumber, I'm understandably keen just to ask whether anyone has a few spares they can lend me. 

galpinos

• forum hero
#11 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 08:53:24 am

Moose, when you end up caving in and buying two sets of rungs, could I have two of the eight orphaned ones please, one of each size?

;)

gme

• forum hero
#12 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 09:30:57 am
I cant believe anyone would buy a campus board rung. The only technical thing about what your doing is fixing it to the wall.

Goto any timber shop ask to look in the off cuts and you will get, for free, the wood you need. all you need then is a saw (if you have not got one ask them in the same shop and i am sure they will cut it for you, they will sn**ger at the same time though) then sand off the edges.

You dont need to incut them as i presume your mounting them on a vertical wall, the only reason they are incut on a campus board is because it overhangs, therefore there incut to make the surface in contact with your tips horizontal.

If you need them incut just sand more, its only softwood so will take five minutes.

£65.00 for eight is just plain wrong.

gme

• forum hero
#13 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 09:31:39 am
Cant believe i have had the word sn**ger edited either.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#14 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 10:41:08 am
 ;) Ive heard you can buy these as an alternative.... by the looks of it for about the same price as a couple of rungs.  :-\

http://tinyurl.com/6kqlhx6

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#15 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 10:49:51 am
Cant believe i have had the word sn**ger edited either.

Its automatic and done to avoid criticism or support of racism as search algorithms aren't smart enough to understand context and simply look at the syntenic letters, don't take it personally.

gme

• forum hero
#16 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 11:12:44 am
Not taken personally at all. Find it both amusing and alarming that everything i do or say on a forum may be edited by some all seeing eye.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#17 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 12:01:52 pm
I like how n**ger gets censored, but cunt is fine.

chicane

• player
#18 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 12:16:58 pm
buy a set after agreeing to sell the spares to others on here?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#19 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 02:13:54 pm
Well, I've admitted temporary defeat.  Stopped off at a builder's merchants during lunch and bought two of 16" lengths each of 15x45mm and 23x45mm wooden rail and a mixed pack of cabinet paper.  Pine rather than hardwood but, for £2, I guess I'll cope if I can't sand out the splinteryness and it's money down the drain.

chris05

• forum abuser
#20 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 02:37:07 pm
I have a pine rung beneath my BM, with only a little sanding its fine, no splinters as yet.

Its not very secure though as the screws I used were probably not long enough, I think of it as good training for the real stuff!

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#21 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 10:43:05 pm
They sell em in packs of 3 at the TCA climbing shop if that's any help - http://www.tcaclimbingshop.com/Default.aspx?LoadContent=DeptCampusRungs&DeptID=13

I'd still just make em myself though

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#22 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 12, 2011, 11:13:29 pm
Not taken personally at all. Find it both amusing and alarming that everything i do or say on a forum may be edited by some all seeing eye.

Dont take it personally...

I would hope the vast amount of stuff on here is not subject to edit... I have seen little evidence for that in recent years... however the place needs to be in at least some sense appropriate the general population who can lurk /post as they will. it would be hard to keep the site going if there was swathes of posts that were offensive to the majority of the population.

this is not unique to here... in fact you can get away with some right shite that other forums would ban you for...

and that is good IMO

on topic....

I will have a look round my garage..

I may have some *back in the day* S7 rungs... only the odd few... if so.. they are yours   ;D

( not some softwood... real nice grain.. it's just most of them are now holds on my board!)

Paul T

• regular
#23 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 14, 2011, 04:35:26 pm
They sell em in packs of 3 at the TCA climbing shop if that's any help - http://www.tcaclimbingshop.com/Default.aspx?LoadContent=DeptCampusRungs&DeptID=13

I'd still just make em myself though

We haven't been asked yet but we're happy to sell singles too. If you do want singles of any size then just email simon@theclimbingacademy.com and we'll work out a price with postage dor you.

If you do make them yourself then use a piece of hardwood rather than soft as it will last the test of time a little better.

gme

• forum hero
#24 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 14, 2011, 05:42:46 pm
This hardwood thing mistifies me. I built the campus board that was out in Ben Moons garden for two years before being used at the school for god knows how many years. All of the rungs were made from the cheapest quality softwood that you could buy (we didnt have a lot of money, we built the whole school for around £800) and to my knowledge we never broke one.

In fact i would think that nearly all of the holds on the school boards were made from off cuts of softwood from lavers. The only things that broke were a couple of 8mm crimps we had incut that got used for footholds (on basic knitwear if i am correct). this was pretty standard on all boards and i cant remember spending most of the nineties pulling splinters out of my fingers.

Luthor

• menacing presence
#25 Re: campus rungs - any spare?
January 14, 2011, 06:12:59 pm

We haven't been asked yet but we're happy to sell singles too. If you do want singles of any size then just email simon@theclimbingacademy.com and we'll work out a price with postage dor you.

If you do make them yourself then use a piece of hardwood rather than soft as it will last the test of time a little better.

Hmm.. a mixed set of three could be useful.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal