UKBouldering.com

Deregistering from UKC (Read 10566 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 09:16:37 pm
Email him stating that under the data protection act they are obliged to remove from their records any data pertaining to you (for example, name, email address, and possibly username) if you request it. This is law, they can only hold personal data about you without your consent if there was some kind of statutory requirement to, which there isn't. Tell them if they don't comply, report them to the ICO. Might even be worth contacting the ICO for advice.

What Dave said.
More info here in the retention of personal info section.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/data_protection/supporting_evidence.aspx#retention

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#26 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 09:23:41 pm
“Personal data” are defined in the 1998 Act as:

… data which relate to a living individual who can be identified – (a) from those data, or (b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller, and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual.

I can't see how website login data counts as "personal data" unless you use your full real name as your username or register using an email address that is equivalent to your full name.

dave

#27 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 09:45:47 pm
Your email address should count as personal data - at the end of the day it does one way or another identify you. Say if you emailed mick ryan with a death threat, perish the thought, but if you did and you used a personal account that you were bothered about (like gmail, hotmail, your work or ISP account etc) then the five-o would be able to trace who you are. If your email address contains elements that would enable your place of work to be established (like ...@somewhere.ac.uk or gov.uk) then that would be argued to be identifiable. If your email or username contains a name or a widely-known alias then again, potentially identifiable.

Obviously there are some grey areas, but the point being that the borg would have to be pretty damn sure of their position legally to be bothered to rebuff anyone's serious advances to get their account closed. Good practice for anyone resposible running a business is to assume any data on users or customers counts as personal data.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
Say if you emailed mick ryan with a death threat, perish the thought, but if you did and you used a personal account that you were bothered about (like gmail, hotmail, your work or ISP account etc) then the five-o would be able to trace who you are.
Yeah but the authorities are a different case entirely - they could trace you via the IP used to make such a dastardly post anyway unless you'd been clever enough to hook up a load of proxies/TOR/etc ... and probably even then they'd still have a fighting chance.

I guess a fixed IP address could be considered to be personal data as could emails like the examples you've given, but I doubt you could argue that the username "Dave" or a generic webmail address like fluffybuttsnuffles@gmail.com is.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#29 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 10:04:07 pm
i think they refuse to delete your account just to be spiteful.at the end of the day i would rather leave my account with no details left on it and not deal with mr ryan than argue the toss even if i know he has to do what i say.i definately think im a calmer,better person since i stopped using ukc

dave

#30 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 10:09:31 pm
Say if you emailed mick ryan with a death threat, perish the thought, but if you did and you used a personal account that you were bothered about (like gmail, hotmail, your work or ISP account etc) then the five-o would be able to trace who you are.
Yeah but the authorities are a different case entirely - they could trace you via the IP used to make such a dastardly post anyway unless you'd been clever enough to hook up a load of proxies/TOR/etc ... and probably even then they'd still have a fighting chance.

I guess a fixed IP address could be considered to be personal data as could emails like the examples you've given, but I doubt you could argue that the username "Dave" or a generic webmail address like fluffybuttsnuffles@gmail.com is.

come on, how many people do you know called dave? Nobody. I only know of me and some guy in sri lanka.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#31 Re: Deregistering from UKC
November 10, 2011, 10:39:21 pm
And at least your fluffybuttsnuffles email address clearly identifies that it's you and not the sri lanka dude who would otherwise be inundated with requests for tall person's cheating beta...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal