UKBouldering.com

USA car - Buy or Hire? (Read 9082 times)

tj

• regular
#25 Re: USA car - Buy or Hire?
January 15, 2011, 05:54:13 pm
JK- his name is Ewald & his email is:

Vadly442@aol.com

Don't have any more details I'm afraid. The Chevy we hired was the very bottom of his range, and only had a bed in it (i.e. not a full conversion by any means), but we had a great time with it.

TMR

• regular
  • MORE.....MORE POWER
#26 Re: USA car - Buy or Hire?
January 16, 2011, 06:23:12 pm
spent 3 months in the states a few years back. The majority of people we met on the way had bought vans (in many state parks you pay for parking your car/van and the pay additional for tents so you save money if you can sleep in your van). The most popular choice seemed to be to fly into vancouver, and buy a car there as there are far fewer restrictions than in the states. Its a long long drive down to califonia, but you can stop at smith rock on the way down which is superb (two day drive from smith to san fran). I would also massively recommend goin to Indian Creek and red rocks if you can find the time.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#27 Re: USA car - Buy or Hire?
January 17, 2011, 09:16:59 am
One  thing to remember if hiring is that they almost never have economy cars so you get a standard car (eg Focus) at minimum. Economy rate can be very cheap if you haggle for price in advance and sort your own insurance. A bigger thing to take 6, 7 people may be more than twice the cost and cuts your flexibility. The van/tent saving often doesn't work: many campsites you pay for the pitch (with max no's for people, cars and tents).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal