UKBouldering.com

Big pads (Read 7507 times)

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
Big pads
January 12, 2011, 11:34:09 am
In the market for a new bouldering mat and i've been thinking about going big.

Been looking at the Edelrid Crux, Moon Saturn and Metolius Colossus.

Anybody with any experience of these care to comment on em?
I've had a quick play with the Metolius one but i'd really rather go for a taco style, and given that it's the most expensive it's probably bottom of the list.

I guess lots of folk have got/used the Moon pads, but has anyone used the Edelrid one?

Nigel Poustie

• regular
#1 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 12:30:13 pm
The Ocun Dreamtime is a very large taco style pad and is very good. They are stocking them at The Leeds wall now.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 03:35:45 pm
Buy British, buy Moon.  Very well made pads

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#3 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 03:59:10 pm
For quality of foam and manufacturing I'd go for either Moon or Organics, but given that Saturns are way cheaper and easier to get hold of than the big organics, I'd get a Saturn every time.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 04:28:11 pm
I'm a big SNAP fan, especially for their foam and the shiny cowshitproof base...

Vive La France...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 04:51:10 pm
Also SNAP reads dANS upside down, so if your name is Dan (and not in either of your cases ROB or TOM) they would be ideal. Or you could just say its French for 'in' (I think).

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 04:57:43 pm
Also SNAP reads dANS upside down, so if your name is Dan (and not in either of your cases ROB or TOM) they would be ideal. Or you could just say its French for 'in' (I think).

AND if you were to read it in a mirror and insert a T it would describe my climbing perfectly!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 05:16:53 pm
you climb qANTS?

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 05:23:29 pm
you climb qANTS?

qAnTƧ  :-\ #fail I'll get my coat...

T_B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 05:27:03 pm
I've had a Saturn for over 2 years and it's been great. Not gone as soft as other pads I've had. The only issue is that it's no good to carry with stuff stuffed innit, as it unbalances you with the carry staps being so low. Better to carry a small rucksack and the pad o'ert shoulder.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 08:31:25 pm
i agree with dylan and tb on the saturn.if you decide to get one pm me.i can usually get them cheaper than the shops

Stubbs

#11 Re: Big pads
January 12, 2011, 09:10:07 pm
Big Organic are the best, hopefully they'll start stocking them in this country at some point, I know they were talking to Core about them acting as a distributor but not sure how far that got...

These http://www.asanaclimbing.com/KJSignaturePad.htm look amazing, but a little pricey!

Saturns are great, but definitely still lose their foam quality faster than the big Organics, and I've seen several where the stiching has gone leading to only having one strap or no flap across the bottom. 

As Nige said the Ocun ones are definitely worth a look, his has been going strong for a long time.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Big pads
January 13, 2011, 09:23:58 am
Cheers for the comments.

Used one of the Organics pads in Font the other week and they do look the shit. Wonder if they'd put that calculator design on it for me?
Also like the look of that Asana pad, might enquire about UK shipping costs for both...

The Edelrid stuff at Bananafingers still looks good though, and with the smaller, but still pretty big one, you get one of those little sit-start pads, which i've always wanted but i'm never shell out 50/60 notes for.
Anyone got and thoughts on them?

After i've puked at the shipping costs of US ones I guess it'll be between the Saturn and the Edelrid, might take a look at the Ocuns though.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#13 Re: Big pads
January 13, 2011, 01:08:50 pm
I have had a Saturn for about 3 years. It is a very good pad, foam is a little soft in the middle where is bends, but nothing major.

JamieG

• forum hero
#14 Re: Big pads
January 13, 2011, 01:41:52 pm
The climbing factory will make a custom sized pad, any size you want, if that is helpful.

http://www.climbingfactory.co.uk/

Vitamin K

• addict
#15 Re: Big pads
January 14, 2011, 10:22:34 am
Another vote for Ocun - I got a 'Paddy Fat' from Little Sid Siddiqui about 10 years ago and it's only in the last couple of years that I've felt it going a bit too soft for comfort. I'm sure the build quality has improved in some areas now but I've been really happy with mine.

Paul B

• forum hero
#16 Re: Big pads
January 14, 2011, 03:04:39 pm
Buy British, buy Moon.  Very well made pads

Whilst I agree on the build front and was awed by the fancy flap that covers the straps I find the saturn quite akward to move from problem to problem. Also the flap that goes underneath being held by velcro could really do with a buckle for when there's a tonne of stuff jammed inside.

sberk4

#17 Re: Big pads
January 14, 2011, 03:42:49 pm
In the market for a new bouldering mat and i've been thinking about going big.

Been looking at the Edelrid Crux, Moon Saturn and Metolius Colossus.

Don't know about the Edelrid pad, but the Metolius Colossus is pretty thin and not great foam, so I'd leave that one off unless you're really into traverses or problems for which long pieces of foam are useful.

I was in this same situation a few months ago and ended up getting a BD Mondo - I was going to get the Saturn, but the Mondo is thicker and has slightly better fabric (albeit the carrying system is shit).

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#18 Re: Big pads
January 14, 2011, 07:29:51 pm
another big up for the saturn pad,had mine a few years now and mits still going strong.downsides as said it can be an arse to put stuff inside and its fairly heavy

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#19 Re: Big pads
January 14, 2011, 08:53:29 pm
Having assisted at the rescue of a poor girl who had some nasty spinal injuries after falling with feet ~3+metres above a Metolius pad (it's never good when they call the helicopter, and this was near the main road), you couldn't give me one, unless it was for a woodie.

My next one will have three layers, so that means DMM or Climbing Factory. I'd make an exception for Snap stuff though, from what I've heard so far.

To the OP re: mini pads, I've got a Snap pizza. At £35 good for covering spikes and rocks near main pad or sit starts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal