UKBouldering.com

Somerset/Bristol area (Read 3175 times)

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
Somerset/Bristol area
December 29, 2010, 12:16:33 pm
Go easy, I'm a newbie round here.

I'm staying with the old folks over the festive period and hoping to get out for a finger stretch between enormous helpings of cold turkey and xmas pudding.  Where do the locals go for perma-dry bouldering (besides the climbing acadamy)?

I'm from the Highlands and despite the weather always being pish there's normally somewhere perma-dry for the keen.

Cheers in advance,

Gaz

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Somerset/Bristol area
December 29, 2010, 12:48:07 pm
Nothing springs to mind as being permadry. only thing I can think of as a possibility is Gollum's Cave above Avon Gorge. Downside of it though is that it's shit.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Somerset/Bristol area
December 29, 2010, 03:02:45 pm
Brizzle is not great for bouldering.  What there is is outlined here.

In Somerset there is some half-decent bouldering underneath the Weston-Sand Point toll road, on Sand Point itself (I've not checked this out) and at Bread Down.  These are all quick drying areas not prone to seeping.

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
#3 Re: Somerset/Bristol area
December 29, 2010, 03:06:21 pm
Brean Down.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#4 Re: Somerset/Bristol area
December 29, 2010, 07:54:23 pm
Cheers folks,

I'd assumed Brean would be the best shout.  Took a stroll out there yeterday and it was drenched from top to bottom - some weired humidity from the rapid change in temps I think.  Oh well, maybe tomorrow...

Three Nine

• forum hero
#5 Re: Somerset/Bristol area
December 29, 2010, 08:29:58 pm
hi, we went to look at brean yesterday and twas fucked. I think its snow melt from above maybe? could you let me know how its shaping up if you go in the next couple of days (the sport bit - boulder cove). cheers

b3n99

• stalker
#6 Re: Somerset/Bristol area
January 02, 2011, 10:13:29 pm
There is a severe drought on any decent bouldering round bristol, best bet is probably toll road crags very near the centre of Weston-super-mare. Was dry on friday apparently, topo on esoteric bouldering, bristol area section. Theres also loads of room for new problems, especially some hard ones!

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#7 Re: Somerset/Bristol area
January 03, 2011, 09:57:47 am
Cheers for all the info folks.

I've now left the south on the way back to the highlands and am staying with the lass' family in Staffordshire so lack of rock isn't an issue.

I'm originally from Somerset and so not surprised by the lack of bouldering, but definately surprised by the lack of a sufficiently keen/mad bouldering scene to try to do something worthwhile.  There are defintely one or 2 places that would be pretty good if there were enough folk on them - Croscombe, Brean bouldering, the Toll Road and some of the wee caves by the road higher up Cheddar Gorge for a start.

Anyhoo,  not my problem now!

Cheers,

Gaz

b3n99

• stalker
#8 Re: Somerset/Bristol area
January 04, 2011, 12:40:44 pm
Your not the only one thats a bit shocked by the lack of keen boulderers, especially because of the great scene at the academy. There is however a few climbers (especially young guns) keen to blast there way through the hard projects around, look out for some of the hardest problems in the area to have ascents soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal