UKBouldering.com

Help wanted to get outside bouldering.... (Read 4476 times)

becdent

Help wanted to get outside bouldering....
January 03, 2011, 10:29:55 am
I really want to start bouldering outside as Im so tired of the indoors.....Ive only bouldered outside a couple of times V0/V1 (indoor V3/V4) but loved it! Im also hoping to make it out to font in the spring so I need to get on it.

Can anyone offer any help from the transition from indoor to outdoors? Id quite like to hook up with some people or have a few coaching sessions for starters to build my confidence and obviously meet new folk.

Im based in scotland but prepared to travel at weekends (Im moving south within the next 6months anyway).

Thanks!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
Your best bet would be to get speaking to people at the indoor wall. The chances are that most of them are just climbing indoors when they can't get outside. Try to find people climbing at a similar level to yourself. I'm not saying that people who climb harder won't want to go outside with you, but the venues worth visiting may well be different to those operating at harder grades, so there may not be as much for you to do.

If you have your own pad, it will help.

tomtom

• forum hero
Your best bet would be to get speaking to people at the indoor wall. The chances are that most of them are just climbing indoors when they can't get outside. Try to find people climbing at a similar level to yourself. I'm not saying that people who climb harder won't want to go outside with you, but the venues worth visiting may well be different to those operating at harder grades, so there may not be as much for you to do.

If you have your own pad, it will help.

First,  :wave:

Second,  :agree: with Drew... 

Where are you moving South to? There may be more people on here there (if you get what I mean).

Drew's also right that in that getting your own mat means you can operate independently of anyone else.. so you can rack up to the crag and just try stuff out for yourself.. Chances are if you go there at a weekend (crag dependent) there may well be a few other bods around who can show you some stuff??

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Where is Soctland are you based? If you turn up at any of the more popular spots there will usually be folk around, and most are usually approachable.

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
Agree with the above. Just get yourself a mat and get to the crag.

Last year was my first season outdoors and I met so many friendly people at the crag who were more more than willing to offer friendly advice: one or two who have now become good friends and regularly climbing partners.

Dont get discouraged either. I found when I first switched to outdoors I had to drop down to a V0 after doing V4 indoors but it's amazing how quickly things progress when you stick with it.

I used to love climbing indoors but now it seems like a poor substitute for real rock!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Agree with the above: getting to the crag is the main obstacle you'll face.  My start point for climbing outdoors was the date I bought a car, before that, even getting to the largely terrible local crags involved hours of hanging around bus-stops.

So, if you have a car and a mat you can get off to flyer.  Just find the nearest crag that has a reputation for lots of good quality , easy stuff (buy the guide if flush, or just ask at the local wall).  Once there, rest assured that people will be only too happy to give you a guided tour, if only because it'll allow them to show off their party pieces!  If you can't get to the crag, don't worry - ask friendly faces at the wall, or advertise on the notice board  - someone with room in their car will always want a spotter (or someone to ring the ambulance when the high-ball'in goes wrong!).

becdent

Hi!

Great thanks for all the sound advice! I thought it may just be the case of turning up with mat in hand and giving it a go and chatting to people who were there.

I spent yesterday trying to decide which mat to buy.......

Initially I was going to go for the moon warrior but can actually afford the moon saturn or the metolius boss hog. I have a big enough car that will fit the bigger mats so should I just bite the bullet and get a bigger one which do seem thicker and Im perhaps thinking it will give me more confidence to fall????

Im based in glasgow so was checking out the local boulder spots yesterday online in the central area of scotland. There is enough to get me started for sure. I will start to ask folk at the wall too. Im hoping to move to the peak area either side really depending on where I can get a job and so I can really get stuck into the climbing.

Thanks  :)

b3n99

• stalker
If you want to save a bit on the mat then check out the alpkit mats, very cheap (£70) and not bad quality at all, i've got two and they have lasted heavy use for a good 3 years. If you don't plan on going too high then there perfectly suitable.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
There's stacks in the Glasgow area. If you are a complete beginner expect to struggle at Dumbarton though, the rock takes a bit of getting used to.

Worth having a look through this if you don't want to buy a guidebook.

http://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Bouldering

erm, sam

• forum hero
If you get a pad that is too big you might get narked of with hauling it around. A warrior type pad is a good size for me..

tomtom

• forum hero
An alpkit Phud wont last forever, but is great value for money - esp if just starting out etc..

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
If you can get to the Clydebank GO Outdoors shop you might be able to get a decent pad in their half price sale today.

becdent

Thanks again for the tips - I wanna boulder with you guys ; )

Fras

• regular
Per my UKC suggestion, speak to Mark McG; he's super-enthusiastic, knows a lot of folk, is insightful and would be a particularly useful contact for a beginner. The scottish bouldering guide suggestion is good too. You could also try visiting Craigmaddie once it dries out and warms up a bit, if Dumby gives you "the fear". And get a Phud. :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal