• forum hero
Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 07:59:42 am
planetmountain.com

Weird ice-bouldering comp thingy  :?

dave

#1 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 09:02:45 am
anyone else find the whole ice climbing comp scene (and drytooling in quarries etc) just a bit, well how do i put it, shit?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 09:09:16 am
Yeah, it just leaves me completely cold (ho ho!) but then I've never tried it so it might be the mutts nuts.

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#3 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 09:13:43 am
Look crap to me, certainly it not like true bouldering (look easy).

dave

#4 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 09:23:47 am
surely with axes in hands its just a lof of fannying about on jugs all the way!

Avoiding the Traitor

• forum abuser
#5 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 09:29:34 am
no crimping, sloper or even smearing !!

It a joke !!

dave

#6 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 09:40:00 am
also, stuff like this just seems so detached from real climbing as to be a complete mystery to me:

granted i do have a plywood board in my cellar......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 10:01:17 am
I see it as a form of aid-climbing really.

JR

• forum abuser
#8 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 10:45:54 am
its proper bo fun....

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#9 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 11:01:33 am
Isn't it a bit like chipping?

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#10 Ice bouldering
February 13, 2004, 11:16:49 pm
Full on dry tooling is pretty wierd and quite removed from any notion of traditional climbing - but some people love it. The first time I saw it done at a really hard (M10) level I was gob smacked at the techniques that were used (velcro pads on each shoulder to hold axes during hand swaps!, rock shoes with heel spur crampons).

I've been to the Haston cave near Cogne and it was quite disturbing. The harder routes are outrageous and I left the crag feeling a bit confused by it all. The more natural lines (i.e. linking ice sections with short rock sections) did make sense, but some of the routes had drilled placements which I thought was unacceptable. Also the wear and tear on these routes from just one ascent is quite bad.

The rock here is soft and doubt it would be of any interest to summer rock climbers - perhaps this is a justification?

Stevie Haston's routes did seem to be of the 'non-drilled'/stronger line variety and not the safe clip ups that you might think from the pictures in the mags. Some of the stuff in the main Cogne valley that he has done is awe inspiring.

I do like mixed climbing of the the Scottish/Welsh variety where there is a good mix of frozen turf/neve/ice/rock placements. Unfortunately global warming seems to have a grip on our fickle winters - the last good one was 2001, and of course the Foot and Mouth crisis did its best to spoil that great season.

Climbing classic summer routes in winter conditions is supect I know - I have done it on occasion, but I do feel uneasy about it.

Winter climbing is going through a strange phase at the moment, and I'm not sure I know what the answer is.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#11 Ice bouldering
February 15, 2004, 04:24:28 pm
Quote from: "dave"
anyone else find the whole ice climbing comp scene (and drytooling in quarries etc) just a bit, well how do i put it, shit?

yeah totally... everyone is all about their dry-tooling and whatnot nowadays. I thought this was the grit season!

climbing with axes, rubbish!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#13 Ice bouldering
February 17, 2004, 12:48:18 pm
Looks like a good way to get an axe in the face when it pings off at ya.

...and some winter climbers have the nerve to take the piss out of bouldering  :roll:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#14 Ice bouldering
February 23, 2004, 10:20:26 am
Just got back from four days winter gully climbing in and around Fort William. First time and fantastic fun! My main point being that we went to the Ice Factor and to try out the new indor ice wall (when the snow had all but melted), and bugger me if it wasn't a really good laugh! They even have a cave section (it's actually for practicing ice screw placements) which we were able to ice boulder in. It's nothing like real climbing (i.e. bouldering), but good fun all the same!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal