UKBouldering.com

Whitehouses (Read 3869 times)

uptown

• junky
Whitehouses
November 29, 2010, 09:51:49 am
Think snow, think Whitehouses.
It was great this January and February and will probably be mint again now whilst many other crags are buried.
A few helpful tips:
It's less than a minute from the road so condition checks and 'prep' work are simple.
Take a shovel for the lay-by parking and make sure you park facing downhill (there's a hardcored turnaround 100yards up the hill on the right when approaching from Pateley.)
The North Yorkshire rural gritting stocks are close by and so the roads seem to get good early treatment by the council.
Ignore the guidebook and avoid the Raikes approach - very steep and icy hairpin! Use the main B6265.
Take your wellies, I might see you there this winter.

uptown

• junky
#1 Re: Whitehouses
December 01, 2010, 08:56:09 am
Monday conditions were mint. 10 minutes to clear snow off the top as a warm-up and 10 minutes towelling.
Tuesday conditions were mint. Katz had already done most of the clearance, so 5 minutes to brush and towel, and I levelled the landings.
Today looks poor - there's a lot of snow up there at the mo, and the forecast looks 'heavy'.
I'll head back Thursday or Friday and post again.

Parking is 'challenging' at the mo. I had to shovel the car out last night. The hardcore turning spot mentioned above is snowed under, two entrances further up the hill on the left afford opportunity.
Wellies are a must, as are a good yardbrush and towel(s).

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Whitehouses
December 01, 2010, 08:58:57 am
Thanks for the vid, directions and conditions report Uptown..
Great effort.  :thumbsup:

andy_e

• forum hero
#3 Re: Whitehouses
December 02, 2010, 11:24:36 am
I just gave the national trust at Brimham a ring, he said unless you have a 4wd or 4x4 then access is very difficult all around. The roads were gritted yesterday but he wasn't sure when they'd next be gritted. He also said it should be ok by the weekend if it doesn't snow again. Fingers crossed!

uptown

• junky
#4 Re: Whitehouses
December 03, 2010, 08:59:08 pm
Friday -  No prep needed.
Sprinkling of snow over  the top-outs, but all problems climbable. Too cold to have melt seep. (-1)
All roads from Leeds are fine though the parking needs a shovel really.
I brushed the top before I left so it should be good this weekend too.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Whitehouses
December 20, 2010, 10:19:44 pm
Can anyone shed any light on what the problems are that come out from the back of the righthand roof?
Also has a hold broken off Crazy legs crome?
Thx.

uptown

• junky
#6 Re: Whitehouses
December 21, 2010, 11:31:27 am
Can anyone shed any light on what the problems are that come out from the back of the righthand roof?
Also has a hold broken off Crazy legs crome?
Thx.

Whoop, someone can spell.
The central roof (low start to Peshmerga) is Hamidiya at 7c ish, and the righthand roof is the technical dreamery of Spin Ghar at 7b+ ish. Take my grades with a big pinch of snow - I'd be keen to hear anyones views on grades there as I should be 'guiding' it at some point, and a lot hasn't been repeated AFAIK.
The crimp on Crazy legs Crome broke a few years back, was glued back on and then broke off again -  it's 7c+ now I reckon.
I found a fresh video of it on youtube - love the roars and the barbed wire framing. Can anyone here translate? I think I might have seen Mupcio there with a lantern recently.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Whitehouses
December 21, 2010, 04:00:46 pm
Thanks Andy. Nice work.

Jameshs

#8 Re: Whitehouses
December 27, 2010, 07:12:19 pm
Any update on here

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal