UKBouldering.com

router craziness (Read 2693 times)

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
router craziness
December 12, 2010, 10:17:14 am
I have a Billion 5200n router, a PC, a laptop and PS3.  Latter is hard wired, the PC and laptop wireless.  All usually works fine, albeit that I can't have any other connection on if I want to play games on the PS3 with a reasonable connection speed.  Some weeks ago the router stopped working via wireless.  I have a poor, due to distance and number of connectors, wired connection which I used for the PC for a week or so.  Was about to buy a new router when it all started working again.  Today wireless has stopped working again on both PC and laptop.  The router reports Rx error and drop count is massive.  Wired connection works fine.  router is broadcasting SSID, just can't connect.  What's it all about then?

And yes I've rebooted everything several times including the router.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 10:36:31 am
This is a bit of a bullshit tech support style answer, but have you checked to see if there is a firmware upadate for the router?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#2 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 10:40:18 am
Rx is the receive side of the transmission - do both the laptop and the PC have issues connecting to the wireless? Assuming yes then I would be looking to borrow another router to see if the problem lies there to start with.

Updating the firmware on the router could also be an option as TomTom points out.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 06:16:33 pm
If you're playing shooters then you're better using a wired connection anyway. Just saying.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 06:29:12 pm
router is broadcasting SSID,

What was the strength of the signal that you had when things worked fine?

What is the strength of the signal now[/when things aren't working]?

Your laptop should be able to tell you how strong the signal is currently, but you'll likely have to rely on memory for the former (unless things magically right themselves very soon).

If there is a large difference between the two it may indicate a possible hardware problem with the routers wireless, but its exceptionally hard to diagnose router problems over t'net (especially without getting very detailed/technical).

BTW if its this model it indicates the following with regards to firmware upgrades...

Future firmware upgrades can be downloaded using a user-friendly Web-based Interface.

So check the routers WebUI management page for whether there is a firmware upgrade etc.

If you're playing shooters then you're better using a wired connection anyway. Just saying.

:agree: Ditto for the desktop, you don't move it around much, if you've multiple connectors, its well worth grabbing a long network cable and having that run directly.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#5 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 07:42:13 pm
Ta everyone.  I think wireless part of router is buggered since errors are all Rx and not Tx.

It's not got the latest firmware but then it has been working fine and finding the latest firmware, literally, takes me round in circles on the Billion website.  Both laptop and pc have worked fine.

PS3 for gaming is hard wired Bubbs.  I said that.  You read posts as bad as I do.  :kiss2:

PC is also hard wired, but has moments of not responding, so wireless n is more reliable, hence I use that and unplug the wired cable most of the time.  That could also be symptamatic of a problem with the router I guess but more likely the length of cable and my shoddy home made J45 connections.

New router it is.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 07:51:09 pm
Tried screwing a new router out of your ISP? If you've been with them a while the 'my routers borked and XYZ were offering a free one if I moved to them' line might work??

Depends though, most ISP's seem to be strategially aligned with Satan...

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#7 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 08:31:45 pm
Good idea, I might just try that.  The new router that is.  I am already aligned with Luc as we like to call him.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#8 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 09:17:49 pm
netgear all the way.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#9 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 09:30:56 pm
We used to have two netgear routers, one for me and one on the missus' business line.  Both kept dropping out repeatedly.  The BT 'engineer' came round to check out her business line and concluded it was because of interference from the lamp in the front room.   :wank:

More likely the shit single strand of copper wire running over from the exchange and crazy frequency change in our incoming electric supply creating huge RFI.  All of which means I am far better of running a nice mc cartridge in the stereo of course  :thumbsup:

The router was great, when it worked, but I wouldn't recommend them if you have a variable electrical supply.  The Billion router coped much better.  Until it crashed.  :thumbsdown:

Anyone got a shit incoming electrical supply (ie. down to 210V) and can recommend a router?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#10 Re: router craziness
December 12, 2010, 09:41:55 pm
OK.

fair go.

It's just the netgear I got when my router tried to ruin my life.. as recommended from the techies on here... really sorted me out. there again...  I seem to have a power supply that is stable.. and i'm close to an exchnage.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: router craziness
December 13, 2010, 07:32:48 am
No idea about how they perform under dodgy/inconsistent power supplies, but I swear by Linksys/Cisco routers myself.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal