UKBouldering.com

issue: Burbage Valley Zip Wire (Read 60234 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#75 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 20, 2010, 01:01:30 pm
I used the above address and was informed by a kindly email server that david.howarth@kier.co.uk is a more up to date address for him.

Thanks Sam, had an idea that might happen.  Not sure what the craic is, but I'm assuming Kier have taken over property management for SCC....  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#76 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 20, 2010, 01:08:04 pm
I might have missed something in the earlier posts but surely any zip line would run over and potentially obstruct the footpath (/ honoury mtb bridleway).  That can't be right?

I think the video posted near the start of the thread (now removed from YouTube by owners, presumably Adventures Are Us Ltd.) showed it going from Burbage West and finishing below the path on the other side of the valley.

I used the above address and was informed by a kindly email server that david.howarth@kier.co.uk is a more up to date address for him.

Me too as I still can't find "Adventures Are Us Ltd." on the Planning Applicaiton site so was trying to ask where I could read the full application.  Six months is quite a long time and the application may have progressed further if no objections can be registered with Property Managers, any idea as to who is in charge during this period and might be more appropriate to contact?  It would in theory be possible to use the Planning Applicaiton site if the application could be found!  :wall:

Quote from: Automated Reply
I'm now out of the office until Tuesday 30th June.  Additionally, with effect from 1st July, the corporate property and facilities management sevices will be delivered by Kier on behalf of Sheffield City Council.

Could you please therefore address all future correspondence to me at the following e-mail address david.howarth@kier.co.uk.  My telephone number is 0114 2734543. If your enquiry is urgent while I'm away please phone 2734598 for further assistance.

On this occasion you need take no further action as this message has been auto-forwarded to my new account, however, I would appreciate it if you could update your records accordingly.

Kind regards,

David Howarth

Nice to see the Council starting to save money by further contracting out work!

Monk

• regular
#77 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 20, 2010, 01:49:19 pm
Does anyone know how they are attaching the zipline at either end?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#78 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 20, 2010, 01:55:57 pm
Does anyone know how they are attaching the zipline at either end?

Chewing gum & blu-tack.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#79 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 21, 2010, 10:20:07 pm

You have to draw the line somewhere, and for me this fails on two principles: involves the building of a structure,
and queueing paying punters.

It's a commercial installation with a potential high spike in traffic. Guiding's commercial, but you tend not to get dozens of clients concentrated in one area. I take the point about traffic created by our sport's popularity but I can't think of an equivalent intensity of use. I think installations of any sort in the National Park are out, excepting tents.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#80 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 21, 2010, 10:49:39 pm
In my limited experience and having had a few conversations Kier are a right bunch of see you next tuesdays.

In any event does anyone think that this is a vaible plan?

Personally I would be good money after bad that their insurance brokers will stop taking calls after the first few of them die of chronic breathing difficulties caused by laughing too much.

This is a dead parrot.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#81 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 22, 2010, 09:32:13 am

This is a dead parrot.

..eee's snuffed it.  He's run up the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibule.  Bereft of life, 'e rest's in peace and if you 'adn't nailed 'im to the perch, 'e'd be pushin' up the daisies.  This is an ex-parrot............

sorry -  :guilty: - feel free to carry on................

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#82 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 22, 2010, 10:02:23 am

This is a dead parrot.

..eee's snuffed it.  He's run up the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibule.  Bereft of life, 'e rest's in peace and if you 'adn't nailed 'im to the perch, 'e'd be pushin' up the daisies.  This is an ex-parrot............

Thats Monty Python, not Carry On.  ::)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#83 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 22, 2010, 10:52:52 am

This is a dead parrot.

Thanks matron........

Thats Monty Python, not Carry On.  ::)

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#84 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 22, 2010, 11:56:07 am
I might have missed something in the earlier posts but surely any zip line would run over and potentially obstruct the footpath (/ honoury mtb bridleway).  That can't be right?

I think the video posted near the start of the thread (now removed from YouTube by owners, presumably Adventures Are Us Ltd.) showed it going from Burbage West and finishing below the path on the other side of the valley.

Me too as I still can't find "Adventures Are Us Ltd." on the Planning Applicaiton site so was trying to ask where I could read the full application.  Six months is quite a long time and the application may have progressed further if no objections can be registered with Property Managers, any idea as to who is in charge during this period and might be more appropriate to contact?  It would in theory be possible to use the Planning Applicaiton site if the application could be found!  :wall:

Quote from: Automated Reply
I'm now out of the office until Tuesday 30th June.  Additionally, with effect from 1st July, the corporate property and facilities management sevices will be delivered by Kier on behalf of Sheffield City Council.

Could you please therefore address all future correspondence to me at the following e-mail address david.howarth@kier.co.uk.  My telephone number is 0114 2734543. If your enquiry is urgent while I'm away please phone 2734598 for further assistance.

On this occasion you need take no further action as this message has been auto-forwarded to my new account, however, I would appreciate it if you could update your records accordingly.

Kind regards,

David Howarth

Nice to see the Council starting to save money by further contracting out work!

There is a thread about this on cocktalk. Usual dickish comments, but one post that sounded reasonably sensible suggested it doesn't need a planning application as its temporary, just an 'activity license'?  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#85 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 22, 2010, 12:17:43 pm
Is there such a thing?  Might it be known by a different name as a search for "activity license site:www.sheffield.gov.uk returns no hits.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#86 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 22, 2010, 12:21:17 pm
Is there such a thing?  Might it be known by a different name as a search for "activity license site:www.sheffield.gov.uk returns no hits.

Well I did say I got it off cocktalk.... :whistle:

galpinos

• forum hero
#87 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 22, 2010, 03:13:05 pm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aala/#

( :google:)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#88 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 22, 2010, 03:29:17 pm

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aala/#

( :google:)

Good work, here is Adventures Are Us Ltd's License.  No mention of a zip-wire in there, although its not clear which of the four broad activities it would actually fall under.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#89 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 23, 2010, 10:21:40 am
Good work, here is Adventures Are Us Ltd's License.  No mention of a zip-wire in there, although its not clear which of the four broad activities it would actually fall under.

There's just one more thing bothering me........

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#90 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 23, 2010, 10:28:40 am
 :lol:

Adventures Are Us

#91 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 12:22:38 am
Official Press Release to UK Bouldering & UK Climbing Forums.

Re: Burbage Valley Zip Line.

Hi everyone my name is Darren Thomas of Adventures Are Us Limited. Firstly I would like to apologise to everyone who has been upset or angered by the proposed zip line at Burbage North. There are very good reasons why we wish to run the zip line and we would run it responsibly and without damaging the environment. It would not be a regular event. It would not be a permanent set up and upon de-rigging you would find no evidence it was ever there. I respect and value all the comments( both good and bad ) which have been made. However I feel that you have been misdirected from the start by the originator. I respectfully request you to follow the link to our website for a full and accurate explanation. I am sorry it is so long but there has been a lot said which is simply untrue. Please read it and then make your mind up.

Darren Thomas & Committe Members.

Adventures Are Us Limited.

http://www.adventuresareus.com/burbage_zip.html

Palomides

• forum abuser
#92 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 09:30:57 am
That is really impressive - there's only one minor typo in your press release and no horrible spelling mistakes.

Your explanations and descriptions sound very reasonable, especially the limits on use.

As I previously commented, I'm not opposed to this sort of thing on principle, but I still think that the Burbage Valley is not the place for this. Have you considered other locations?

daprince

• regular
    • timeticks
#93 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 09:31:46 am
For my money I'm against it not because I don't think it will be well run or environmentally sound but because it sets a precedent.

I been to the Alps where anything goes and many things went. I've also rigged zip lines in a few places in the past but the people I rigged them for got it for free. Maybe if they were happy to re invest all profits into projects with the Peak Park I would feel differently but somehow I doubt it.

The 4 X4  off roaders and mountainbikers are now purpose building playgrounds for their activities and Go Ape stylee developments are springing up. Most of these are kept out of site of the many for the most part. This all seems better than spoiling the view in an area that is mainly about the view.

Anyone remember the proposed helicopter tourist flights over the Cuillins?

Or the proposed outdoor bouldering comp a good few years back?

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#94 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 09:52:01 am
Official Press Release to UK Bouldering & UK Climbing Forums.

Re: Burbage Valley Zip Line.

Hi everyone my name is Darren Thomas of Adventures Are Us Limited. Firstly I would like to apologise to everyone who has been upset or angered by the proposed zip line at Burbage North. There are very good reasons why we wish to run the zip line and we would run it responsibly and without damaging the environment. It would not be a regular event. It would not be a permanent set up and upon de-rigging you would find no evidence it was ever there. I respect and value all the comments( both good and bad ) which have been made. However I feel that you have been misdirected from the start by the originator. I respectfully request you to follow the link to our website for a full and accurate explanation. I am sorry it is so long but there has been a lot said which is simply untrue. Please read it and then make your mind up.

Darren Thomas & Committe Members.

Adventures Are Us Limited.

http://www.adventuresareus.com/burbage_zip.html

I've read this, and it is well written, but I am still completely against the idea of a Zipline in Burbage, there are many other areas including some quiet dales in the peaks that this could be done in causing less impact.
Also what is there to stop other companies 'getting in on the act' if this is allowed?
I'm not sure I liked the 'threats to sue' bits towards the end , bit nasty that

Could someone (John or Slackline maybe) post the names and addresses of any of the land owners/and appropriate agencies involved, which are referred to in the article. Thx

dave

#95 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 09:58:56 am
Its good to see the thought that's clearly gone into this, and it being seemingly of noble intentions etc. But I still think that burbage is still an inappropriate venue for this kind of thing.

Also, remember that however much thought, consideration, and nobble intentions has gone into this, most of that groundwork is invisible to the causual observer who rolls up one day at burbage, sees some guys with a zipline setup and think "hey that looks rad, why don't I go and set one of them badboys up myself - ch-ching ££££". I.e. it sets an example that I'm not convinved is a good one for use of national parks.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#96 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 10:03:23 am
A well written and clear post from Adventures Are Us Ltd. thank you it clarifies things well (although a minor technical point is that these are forums and not blogs).

Could someone (John or Slackline maybe) post the names and addresses of any of the land owners/and appropriate agencies involved, which are referred to in the article. Thx

Its but a few searches/clicks away with  :google:

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#97 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 10:11:01 am
A well written and clear post from Adventures Are Us Ltd. thank you it clarifies things well (although a minor technical point is that these are forums and not blogs).

Its but a few searches/clicks away with  :google:

Fair enough, I thought as you have already spent sometime looking into the application you  may already have them.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#98 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 11:22:52 am
Darren, I've read your press release.  I have nothing against zip-lines in the right place.  Burbage Valley is not the right place.  Please take your idea elsewhere.

Paul B

• forum hero
#99 Re: Burbage Valley Zip Wire
December 24, 2010, 11:27:47 am
An eloquent press release however personally I still don't feel Burbage Valley is the place for this. I'm also heavily dubious of a few of the claims:

You can run a zip line, with two anchors and a tensioing system, plus people whizzing along it with less environmental impact than four boulderers? Do you care to qualify this (somehow)?

Secondly, you say that the anchors that have been chosen were selected as they don't get in the way of anything etc. That sits at odds to an earlier observation in this very thread (by Nai?). Again, could we have some fact, a photograph perhaps showing which anchor you intend to use?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal