UKBouldering.com

Joker / Ace / Blackpool Sam confusion (Read 18761 times)

Greg C

• forum hero
The problem with these threads are nobody ever provides hard evidence so I thought I'd break the mould.....however if we use hard evidence we might draw the thread to a conclusion and thus eliminate our chances of slagging the fella off for another 90+ pages. 

I'm just saying instead of rumour and character assassination  :chair: why not use a holistic approach and look for details surounding the alledged event.   :-\

Look chief, if you are going to go all Perry Mason I suggest you read all the posts in the thread before quoting 'evidence', as you put it, which merely serves to confuse the matter further. Earlier in this thread the honorable gentleman (Mr. Tonks) stated that Sam didn't do The Ace because his mat blew away, although he had done The Joker earlier the same day. Fine. Except you then wade in and tell us he didn't do The Ace because there was ice and snow all over the top of the block. I assume a freak blizzard blew in after he topped out The Joker? All you have done is confuse us all even more....

So far in this thread are 3 'concrete' reasons why Sam didn't do The Ace - all different. Look, he said he didn't do fine, why don't you just leave it at that.

TN080

• regular
In summary, this thread has proven that sam, whilst putting in a good effort,  has not done The Ace (in 2009). Yet, contradicting his email, the big man himself has openly claimed an ascent whilst out at the crag. Furthermore, he also stated he was not media shy and would like is achievements to be recorded (ie. lakes bloc graded list etc.). This leads me too question other ascents he has openly claimed at the crag. Now if these claims turn into similar stories to the one similar to The Ace, they need to be sorted and information corrected in the record books. This air of mystery is one that needs sorting for the sake of our sport. Not only do liars demean other climbers' ascents, it also creates a bad name for our (the uk’s) strongest climbers.

Now my view on the issue is that I hope he has done what he says he has and I don’t want to slag him off. BUT, if in any other sport you rocked up and claimed some of the best achievements in the world with confused, changing and absurd evidence/explanations you would be laughed out of town. Climbing should be no different. In my (over 25) personal experiences and observations of Sam at ‘his local’ crags suggest he has not demonstrated the talent or strength you see in many V11 climbers let alone V14 ones. Now I will eat my words and make my apologies as soon as I’m proved wrong. The last thing I want to do is take ascents away from somebody but this needs to be sorted out.

The problems he has claimed that I feel need more (concrete) evidence on are:

Art the heart of it All
Kaizen (original)
Voyager
Little Women
The keel Project (to the right of Iron Man)
Texas hold ‘em SDS
Karma of the Trees SDS
Super Submarine
Isle D’encanta
Zoo York
Memories of Tomorrow
Any Major impressive Links (that he has crushes)
Or any other significant problems that have been witnessed and demonstrate his ability as one of Britain’s top boulders.

I hope people understand the reasons for this rant and take it the right way.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
In my (over 25) personal experiences and observations of Sam at ‘his local’ crags suggest he has not demonstrated the talent or strength you see in many V11 climbers let alone V14 ones.

Kaizen (original)

I have watched Sam do AOSD with a weightbelt, and have seen a video of him doing Kaizen original and falling off the last move.  I have also watched him do all the moves on Kaizen in person.

Now, I'm not claiming that proves all his ascents, but I disagree that he's never shown he can climb like a V11 climber.

TN080

• regular
Thanks GCW, this is the sort of info that needs to be said. Now it was also mentioned in conversation that your saw Sam do Little Women. Can you confirm this.

Stubbs

I think it's only fair that doubters identify themselves in these sort of situations.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Now it was also mentioned in conversation that your saw Sam do Little Women. Can you confirm this.

No, I didn't.
I saw him trying it on the occasion before he did it, but he linked it through to the last section, and basically did it in 2 overlapping parts so I have no doubt he could do it.

erm, sam

• forum hero
In summary, this thread has proven that sam
Unless I have missed some obvious "proof" it hasn't proven anything. Much conjecture has been spewed, thats about it.

The problems he has claimed that I feel need more (concrete) evidence on are:

Art the heart of it All
Kaizen (original)
Voyager
Little Women
The keel Project (to the right of Iron Man)
Texas hold ‘em SDS
Karma of the Trees SDS
Super Submarine
Isle D’encanta
Zoo York
Memories of Tomorrow
Any Major impressive Links (that he has crushes)
Or any other significant problems that have been witnessed and demonstrate his ability as one of Britain’s top boulders.

If it is so important, drive over to his house and ask him.

I hope people understand the reasons for this rant and take it the right way.

Not really. The last thing the world needs is another tedious self important 'we are owed the facts' thread.
It started off as vaugly amusing rumour and my mate heard this thread, illustrating more than anything how unrealiable hearsay is, but you seem to want it to evolve into a good old fashioned witch hunt.

Either ask the man himself or SHUT UP about it.

Despite sharing the same first name I have no vested interest and couldn't actually care less.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
As an aside, when did Sam claim he'd done the Keel project on the Shelterstone?  As far as I was aware he hadn't.

Oh, and I've seen him link the first moves of Il Pirata too, until his bulk loosened the starting jug.

account_inactive

• forum hero

:lol:

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
you forgot the Spaniard and it was a tandem.
Punter

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal