UKBouldering.com

Pins And Needles? (Read 5256 times)

Gritter

• menacing presence
Pins And Needles?
July 06, 2012, 05:08:24 pm
Last sunday I was on jack the nipper at Anston and at some point after the first move I felt an electric shock sensation followed by a numb thumb, index finger and middle finger. I thought nothing of it at the time but then it remained numb for the rest of that evening. Since the incident I have been experiencing very slight pins and needles and a very slight click in the forearm on rotations of the wrist with a thumb placed on my forearm about three inches up from the inside of my wrist. I  get the same feeling when bending my wrist forward and trying to pinch my stomach and if i try and do a really wide pinch way out above my head.
I've been to see my GP who did some basic CPS tests and said that this was not the case and she suspected I had slight tendonitis. I'm going to font next thursday for nine days and would appreciate any advice/help (should i climb on it?)  because I am going well under!
Thanks.

Gritter

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 06, 2012, 05:12:04 pm
*CTS

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 06, 2012, 05:17:02 pm
I've had this before, I've always put it down to a tendon pinging across the median nerve within the carpal tunnel.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 06, 2012, 06:20:37 pm
just getting over a similar thing, but my pins and needles was in the back 2 and i felt like i had a constantly knocked funny bone... also happened at anston! i saw a phsyio and it turned out it has a bad neck amongst other things. hammer ibuprofen and rest for a while. i can climb now but obviously warmup really well.  its horrible when you can see you're nerve pop over the base of the ulna. yuck.

Gritter

• menacing presence
#4 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 06, 2012, 09:34:24 pm
Did you carry on climbing with it GCW? how did it respond?

Gritter

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 06, 2012, 09:38:08 pm
How long to rectify the problem?

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 06, 2012, 11:47:05 pm
nerve injuries can take a while. they tend to aggrevate when youre asleep so hurt more in the morning. dont fall asleep on youre arm! cos that hurts. just try to reduce swelling ie hot/cold therapy and ibuprofen. see a phsyio soon is my advice! cos i went a month of thinking i could rest and it would get better but my neck got worse and it spread to both arms. if id seen a physio earlier i would be fit and ready by now

Gritter

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 08:18:39 am
Cheers for that mason but it sounds like you were suffering a lot more than I am, I can go all day without feeling it as long as I don't do any of the positions I mentioned above and even when I do its only very slight and luckily have no issues sleeping with it. I am also of the opinion that something is aggravating my median not my ulnar as its in the thumb ,index and middle. I will definitely be icing religiously but wondered if sauna/steam would be beneficial or possibly a Jacuzzi jet to give it a type of deep massage? will splinting it help?

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 09:26:38 am
splinting will stop you putting youre hand into the positions that make it hurt throughout the day. would think massaging would help relieve the tension. and yeah the 2 different nerves running along the arm affect different fingers... pretty usefull if you think about it hahaha. ibuprofen...............

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#9 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 09:55:55 am
I stopped trying the problem that did it (it was weird open handed hold) but carried on climbing. It took a couple of weeks to fully settle.

Gritter

• menacing presence
#10 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 10:13:15 am
I think it was the weird open handed upside down hand on jack the nipper that did mine! 2 weeks I can deal with, just have to chill on the first couple of days at font, thanks. Mason you'll be glad to know I'm on the ibuprofen! lol  :2thumbsup:

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 10:49:48 am
good man and its quite a coincidence that i was trying jack the ripper when mine started hurting... its a killer hahaha. hope font goes well then

Gritter

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 01:43:30 pm
Ta.

Danny

• junky
#13 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 01:59:44 pm
I've had a range of problems a bit like this in my left arm, mostly relating to my shoulder and neck. One thing my physio showed me when I was trying to get sorted was "nerve flossing"

Sounds daft, looks daft, but it worked very well for me. You have to be careful with it, though, nerves are quite delicate things:

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 04:29:52 pm
thats the only thing they got me doing. feels weird....

Gritter

• menacing presence
#15 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 04:30:40 pm
Do those exercises work for the median nerve as well? I presume they will. I had my first session of acupuncture and Chinese massage today which without wanting to jinx myself seems to have been massively beneficial, immediately afterwards all of my symptoms had disappeared. Gonna have another session before font and hopefully I'll be good. Interestingly they recommended heat compresses over ice to increase circulation and advised me in the future to only use ice for up to 48 hours after receiving the injury. What are peoples thoughts on this?

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#16 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 04:37:27 pm
just on a warming up for climbing note... walking in really quick helps cos of the increased blood flow. flossing helps get the nerve running through the tunnels properly again. works for both the nerves i think. there must be some wrist massages on the internet that would help...

Gritter

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 04:53:16 pm
Trust me I'll be walking in quickly in font its my first trip, super psyched!

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#18 Re: Pins And Needles?
July 07, 2012, 04:58:28 pm
can't get to the boulders fast enough in font....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal