UKBouldering.com

Axes out at Millstone?!?!?! (Read 102731 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#125 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 10:59:49 pm
Definitive statement: Calum Nicoll did it. We don't know who the other guy is. Not any of the others on the Northern Frontiers site.
All of which has already been stated.

Exactly.  So you've come along with an attitude.  And added nothing.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#126 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:03:34 pm

I don't climb. I've seen the pictures, and to be honest that is what it looks like - some scratched rocks. I don't deny that it shouldn't have happened, I'm simply saying that from my perspective (noting the first two replies basically said "fuck off", for trying to clear the innocent!) pretty much everyone seems to be overreacting.

I know Calum Nicoll, but I don't know him as well as Calum McLellan, and I don't often have to write his name! Perhaps I do smack of ignorance, but as I said I don't climb. I'm not trying to defend his actions, I'm just saying the response has been disproportionate - surely no-one can deny this is the case, at least to some extent.

Agreed, I take back the 'cock' comment. This has gotten particularly ugly and whilst their actions were ill judged, and their (or Callum's at least) lack of remorse and arrogance afterwards annoying I hope that people aren't going to carry out some of the threats posted above if they encounter them at the crag.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#127 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:04:59 pm
I for one have my Kamikaze sheep at the ready, just for such an occasion.

Serpico

• forum hero
#128 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:06:14 pm
I for one have my Kamikaze sheep at the ready, just for such an occasion.

A ewe-icide squad?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#129 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:09:00 pm
Fuck's sake A, that's really bad  :lol:

tomtom

• forum hero
#130 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:15:56 pm
I dont really give a f*ck about who did it as long as they (the people who did it) get the message and dont do it again!

I suspect they have now got the message - as long as they dont do it again - no problemo.

TBH, you two posting here has just muddied the waters somewhat as to which callum/stuarno or whatever was responsible.. and posting up some facebook links really just makes any wannabe stalkers life a whole chunk easier.. Its good that you want to defend an innocent mate* - but might be an idea to think and read through before pressing post.... Oil - fire - on - pour etc..

(special assault sheep)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#131 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:18:17 pm
They deserve to be fleeced, in fact I'll ram home the message.

Bell wether or bell end, tis open to debate.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#132 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:19:29 pm
Stop it with the woolly sheep puns, you baaastards.

Serpico

• forum hero
#133 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:24:41 pm
Ewe stop it.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#134 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:26:50 pm
Oh, stock it for fuck's sake.  I know you're only doing it for shear annoyance value.

WaldoXerxes

#135 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 07, 2010, 11:40:01 pm
Definitive statement: Calum Nicoll did it. We don't know who the other guy is. Not any of the others on the Northern Frontiers site.

Exactly.  So you've come along with an attitude.  And added nothing.

I posted here to make sure people didn't start naming Struan as the culprit in the same way Calum Nicoll has been (who's been named on the front page of a UKC news article!). I don't know anything else. Given the abuse I've received, I think the attitude is justified. Remember I'm not representing Calum Nicoll here. I don't think we have muddied the waters - you now all know it wasn't Struan. If we hadn't posted, he might have been named in the next UKC "news" release.

The facebook link doesn't really show anything, just a picture and his name, so I don't think it is a problem. There should be no reason for people to "research" him now, anyway.

Hopefully I won't need to reply again.

stevej

• menacing presence
#136 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 01:48:25 am
(Not that anyone is likely to either notice or care, but whilst we're on the topic of naming names I'd better point out I'm not the same person as the unfortunately named 'steveej' who is being a total bellend on the 'discussion' on the other side.)

RAK Punter

• Trusted Users
  • regular
#137 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 07:09:45 am
I may be showing my age but I always thought dry tooling was what occurred in the morning before the misses had not woken up properly and you could not reach the gel ............................ from this thread, things have obviously changed.

nik at work

• forum hero
#138 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 08:25:21 am
I agree with Duma.

I know this is an emotive issue but these two just seem to have come here to make the point that one of the people photographed at Millstone isn't the person people suspect it is. I can't see how that is muddying the waters? It's unfortunate that one of them is also called Cal(l)um (what are the chances?) but the differing surnames provides a clue I think...

How can you expect people to seriously listen to your point of view if your immediate response to someone is to tell them to "fuck off too"? Especially when if you'd actually taken the time to read what they'd written, rather than glance at the name and draw conclusions, you'd realise that they were actually adding some useful information to the debate. These two appear to have registered here simply to add information to the debate and the response is abuse? Not terribly impressive. Perhaps some people should be apologising...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#139 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 09:07:20 am
I don't climb. I've seen the pictures, and to be honest that is what it looks like - some scratched rocks.

If you don't climb you can't start to understand what a big deal this is and, other than correcting folk on the misnaming error, any opinion you have is invalid.

nik at work

• forum hero
#140 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 09:16:38 am
Seriously? Jesus...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#141 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 09:20:57 am
Seriously. I wouldn't dream of get involved in ethics of something I didn't really understand or wasn't involved with.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#142 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 09:37:29 am
I agree with Duma.

I know this is an emotive issue but these two just seem to have come here to make the point that one of the people photographed at Millstone isn't the person people suspect it is. I can't see how that is muddying the waters? It's unfortunate that one of them is also called Cal(l)um (what are the chances?) but the differing surnames provides a clue I think...

How can you expect people to seriously listen to your point of view if your immediate response to someone is to tell them to "fuck off too"? Especially when if you'd actually taken the time to read what they'd written, rather than glance at the name and draw conclusions, you'd realise that they were actually adding some useful information to the debate. These two appear to have registered here simply to add information to the debate and the response is abuse? Not terribly impressive. Perhaps some people should be apologising...

:agree:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#143 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 10:33:25 am
He isn't the Calum in question, is he? There is more than one Calum. I thought Calum Nicoll had two ls in his name, but turns out he doesn't. I don't think that is really relevant.

And also, how is this not helping? We are trying to clear the name of someone who's only crime is to be on the same website at the perpetrator. It's a shame that it needs to be done, but considering the level of stalking Calum Nicoll has received, it seems to be necessary. Perhaps you all need to calm down - everyone who's replied (except Duma) seems to be blinded by irrational hate over what seems to be (from a non-climber's perspective) some scratched rocks.

Sam

It's not helping by you fuckwits just shovelling the shit elsewhere without any attempt to use it as fertiliser.  You can't be arsed to clarify events and you wonder why people get annoyed.

You don't think it's relevant that you don't even know how to spell a friend's name?  You claimed to know him, didn't you?

"Some scratched rocks"?  That just smacks of ignorance.

You point your finger at me again, kid, and I'll snap it off.

Now, if anyone would care to make a definitive statement about who did it, and indeed who didn't, I'm fucking ears.

havin read through this entire thread....

i will post only once

- if anyone on here has joined who doesn't climb.. FUCK OFF

- if I find anyone on grit with tools, I will try to kill them.

now, leave the peak grit alone.....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#144 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 11:12:35 am
i will post only once

- if anyone on here has joined who doesn't climb.. FUCK OFF

:shrug: good luck assessing that one!

Not a great advertisement for Hug a Newbie week either.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#145 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 11:34:47 am
This poster is not a dry toolers, he’s associated with someone falsely lumped in with the dry toolers and has come on here to clear the name of an innocent party. Whilst here he has made comments to the effect that from his non-climber perspective the whole thing sounds like an over-reaction. Whilst it might annoy people that a none climber might think this (and unwisely state it here), it is hardly surprising if looked at objectively from an outsiders POV and hardly grounds for telling someone to fuck off, especially given that he’s only here in the first place because climbers on the internet have falsely vilified his mate i.e. he’s comes here as the wronged party. Some people on here need to wind their necks in, you make yourself and by association other posters on the site look like an ignorant mob.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#146 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 11:36:21 am
+1

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#147 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 11:39:04 am
also agree with Nik.
this thread just needs a bit of moderation imho. (especially the sheep puns!)
a classic case of emotions running too high.

this bloke thats been doing this stuff is just a twat and needs to get the message that his behavior is unacceptable and the climbing community is not willing to stand by and let it happen.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#148 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 11:40:28 am
and what bonners just said too.

Monk

• regular
#149 Re: Axes out at Millstone?!?!?!
December 08, 2010, 11:49:12 am
I'm glad sanity has prevailed. I always browse UKB to get a more balanced view of things, and was starting to get a little worried!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal