UKBouldering.com

The ongoing questions of a southerner moving to Sheffield... (Read 11777 times)

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters

Nobody can recommend a good barber then?

I use the barbers on Valley Road - about 5 minutes walk from Sloanes medical centre - though I can't remember the name of the place (5 minutes up Valley Road and he is situated on the left hand side just before the junction of Rushdale Road). He always manages to make me look reasonably respectable which is an art form in its own right really. 

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm after a decent pedicure in Sheffield - none of that goldfish nibbling shit either..
any recommendations?

T_B

• forum hero
I would have expected, coming from Bristol, that you'd be after a stylist? If so, I can recommend Taylor Taylor hair on Division Street:

http://www.taylortaylorhair.co.uk/?page_id=1700

tomtom

• forum hero

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
I would have expected, coming from Bristol, that you'd be after a stylist? If so, I can recommend Taylor Taylor hair on Division Street:

http://www.taylortaylorhair.co.uk/?page_id=1700

I'd have thought this was more Brizzle stylee

http://www.naughtycats.co.uk/crystalhealing.html

cha1n

• forum hero
Thanks for the links guys. I'll definitely stop in twiggys for a nipple wax.

cha1n

• forum hero
Right then, we landed late yesterday and immediately agreed that knowing the best local takeaways is a must! Any info on this?

I think I've spotted one of the climbers on the street, who else would own a tarted up T4?!

Paul B

• forum hero
Check out the Sheffield Restaurant Recommendations thread for general foodie knowledge.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
For collection near you... Kashmiri aroma... For the total knowledge... Yep.. See the above thread recommendation. For pizza, sunset pizza deliver, based at norton roundabout.. They should deliver to you. The chilli ones are above the norm, in flavour and heat. I don't rate their kebabs, but I do highly rate Woodeseats kebab house, I don't think they deliver.

For a walk in gents hair cut, between a barber and stylist... Gents Division on meadowhead .

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
At Woodseats Mehek Indian and the Chinese next to it (kitchen king?) are decent as is the Italian next to them. Chinese across the road from them is shit. Pizzas and burgers, do Pizza Panda just down the road opposite the Chantrey pub.

These all deliver and I think all are on Just Eat but if you're collecting then the best Indians are Viraaj and Kashmiri Aroma which as Paul says you'll see mentioned on the restaurant thread. Both are excellent, the latter probably the best in Sheffield.

Simon W

• menacing presence
You've got loads of options up in Woodseats, will take you a while to work your way through those. New Bamboo is alright for Chinese, Kashiri Aroma and Viraaj for curry. 3 decent chippies, Woodseats Fisheries if you're not that hungry Poisedon if you are. Woodseats kebab for.......kebabs and Spoon for breakfast. Also got chains like Dominoes, KFC and Subway up there. Not really a good pub up that way, closest to you is Broadfield on Abbeydale road which also does good food. Ale House on Fraser road does good beer but is a bit of an odd place, members only at weekends. Loads of options on London road and Ecclesall road in town. Edo sushi, Maveli for South Indian and Ginseng for Korean are all good eats I've had recently

Simon W

• menacing presence
That shit Chinese over the road may well be New Bamboo, don't really like Chinese food so prob not the best judge on that one, Woodseats Kebabs do deliver, come in a wrap not pitta, as all the best kebabs always do

Simon W

• menacing presence
Make that Chinese over road the Canton Wok, New Bamboo is my old local Chinese back in Kent which won't be much use. Shouldn't write on here while listening to the football!

cha1n

• forum hero
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry about the delay replying, we only got internet installed today and I recently smashed my android phone.

We went to Kashiri Aroma yesterday evening. It was nice but not sold on it yet, might try the other one next time. It was nice inside, service was great, etc but the curries were a bit different to what I'm used to. The chicken in the gf's was cut into strips like a fajita and mine was diced really small like you get in sandwiches. They tasted good though, if a bit hot. The chilli grading scale must be toned down for us southerners!

Sorry about not looking in the restaurant thread, I forgot the board existed as it was mainly aimed at the Sheffield area or at least it was when I read it last. Glad I can have a little nose of it and find some good places to eat.

Climbed for the first time since I've been here today. Got completely shut down at Raven Tor but subsequently found out that I was climbing everything with really shit beta and I was not using a hold on powerband because I thought it was the 'mono' mentioned in the guidebook, even though it clearly wasn't a mono. I sort of expected it to be packed there but there was hardly anyone there and could of done with some more pads really!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Pads on Powerband? What for? To keep your shoes clean?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Mono on powerband?

cha1n

• forum hero
Mono on powerband?

It says in the guidebook you have to stay high on pinches and not use a mono, and even though it was clearly a 3-4 finger horizontal slot I was avoiding, I couldn't really see a mono anywhere so assumed people used it as an undercut mono or something? Meh, who knows, I sacked it off and went to try something easier. Will be back though.

Pads on Powerband? What for? To keep your shoes clean?

Ha, nah I sacked Powerband off because I couldn't figure much of it out and decided to serious drop my expectations. Went to try 'Basher's Problem' and was getting all confused on that too. I came back to watch a video of people on it to find out that I was going too far right. I did it all first go to the point where I would have had to have thrown for the jug but I was too scared to do it without more pads! Tempted to go back today really but might accept defeat and go back next week or something.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal