UKBouldering.com

Snowballing... (Read 45803 times)

RopeBoy

• menacing presence
#50 Re: Snowballing...
December 11, 2010, 12:42:58 am
Yeah, there was snow on my pavement at 1700 and when I went back out at 2100 it had almost all gone :-\

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#51 Re: Snowballing...
December 11, 2010, 09:23:09 am
Forecast to frost again high up tonight. Get compacting people!

205Chris

• forum hero
#52 Re: Snowballing...
December 11, 2010, 09:29:14 am
I'm at burbage now. Landing's intact but they are melting. Crag's stil :please:l drying out so I'm going to start building them back up as there's still plenty of snow.

205Chris

• forum hero
#53 Re: Snowballing...
December 11, 2010, 09:31:41 am
Random emoticon in the above post as I'm using my phone.

Derek Mild

#54 Re: Snowballing...
December 11, 2010, 04:26:14 pm
Went for a look around Stanage this afternoon. Not much snow left below the popular end, more under the crags towards High Neb. Burbage North still has some meaty accumulations, Burbage South stripped nearly completely.

We found some reasonable flattened landings round Pedlars Slab area, it would be possible to make a good landing under Spearing the Bearded Clam too but we ran out of time. Rusty Wall and Rusty Wall Crack have significantly improved landings but the cracks were a bit seepy round there. Didn't make it into Plantation but Shine on and Cemetery etc have a very rocky landing that would take a substantial amount of work, though the snow exists close by to create the platform if people can be bothered.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#55 Re: Snowballing...
December 11, 2010, 05:38:10 pm
Good scenes at Burbage North today, big terrace under Nicotine stain etc, decent platforms under Ai No Corrida, Three Blind/ Snowblind, Nefertiti, all of which got several ascents. Puck only needs a bit of work. Particularly enjoyed some of the lobs off Ai No Corrida!

For those of you who professed ignorance:

Boom!

205Chris

• forum hero
#56 Re: Snowballing...
December 11, 2010, 05:50:33 pm
Particularly enjoyed some of the lobs off Ai No Corrida!

Indeed, and some crazy one handed cut loose shizzle as well........ ;)

Nan

• addict
#57 Re: Snowballing...
December 11, 2010, 06:29:46 pm
Awesome day out at burbage north.  Shame on all those that did not shovel!  Anyone know if anything has had landings built elsewhere?  Will be out tomorrow hoping theres enough snow about to build some more.  Top effort to all those that put the time in with a spade/shovel!

dave musgrove jnr

#58 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 07:27:58 am
Made a platform under Boys will be Boys yesterday & did it. Still feels high but at least it's a flat landing. Should last through today.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#59 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 09:19:39 am
Shame on all those that did not shovel! 

Yes, shame on you all! Shame on you if you visited a Peak crag sans-shovel! Shame on you if you actually went climbing on your free day from work instead of investing time shovelling snow - hang your heads lads!  ;)

205Chris

• forum hero
#60 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 09:24:06 am
Latest from stanage. Platform left beneath boys, it's still more of a route than a highball. Best drifts seem to be out towards high neb. With the frost overnight platforms at burbage should be intact or could be rebuilt with minimal effort.

Plantation drying nicely, careless looks in good nick. Bit of ice on the roads so take it easy on the drive out.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#61 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 10:35:39 am
Shame on all those that did not shovel! 

Shame on you if you visited a Peak crag sans-shovel!

Seems ice axes are more popular nowadays.  :whistle:

205Chris

• forum hero
#62 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 04:56:35 pm
Another crowd at Burbage North today, good to see people out enjoying the platforms with stuff still getting ascents.

The snow's compacted quite a lot so they should hang around for a day or two at least, when I left tonight the current state of play was (using the JB snowball rating system)

Nefertiti*** - Good landing but the top breaks are seeping slightly and will take some drying out.

Three Blind Mice** - Landing lower than last year but the crux is still safe with a couple of pads. You'll still need to bring your topping out skills though.

Ai No Corrida */** - Still a landing but not as wide as it was. Saw some falls from high up today but it needs good spotting.

Sadly there wasn't much scope for snowballing at high neb. There were plenty of drifts but not really in the right places. Slap and Spittle was probably the best option but it's not been platformed yet.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#63 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 05:05:14 pm
Nice work Chris

Anyone heading out tomorrow afternoon? I'm keen to have a look at Nefertiti before the snow disappears.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#64 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 07:25:04 pm
Loads more snow forecast for the weekend.
Has the snow always created drifts like it has the last few years or is it just the wind has been blowing in the right direction?

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#65 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 08:03:25 pm
Radioactive Dustbin gully full of snow and flat. Fun.

Derek Mild

#66 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 08:25:12 pm
Adam, the winds need to be from somewhere between the NE and the SE during and after snowfall in order to build drifts under the  West and South West facing crags, this hasn't happened for a number of years until last January.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#67 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 09:24:30 pm
Its pretty rare we get snow unless the wind is in the (north-)east though. The main thing is we haven't had such significant falls for years.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#68 Re: Snowballing...
December 12, 2010, 10:10:53 pm
Loads more snow forecast for the weekend.
Has the snow always created drifts like it has the last few years or is it just the wind has been blowing in the right direction?

shit... that will be an on call where i sleep in all night at work then... sunday

you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get a cheep freelander at the moment...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#69 Re: Snowballing...
December 13, 2010, 08:51:49 am
Good luck, guys, but I fear you may be too late.

No need to sound smug about it :)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#70 Re: Snowballing...
December 13, 2010, 09:43:55 am
For those of you who professed ignorance:

I thought you were going to link to the original Japanese film (a memorably unwise early date with Mrs duncan). Strangely, I can't find any clips of it on youtube...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#71 Re: Snowballing...
December 13, 2010, 04:33:45 pm
the platform beneath Nefertiti is holding up well, no danger of it disappearing I would have thought. Good effort by the builders. Unfortunately the route was wet but the bottom half dried out enough for a 20 minute play just before dark

For those seeking an easier time, High Flyer has a good platform beneath it.  The crux is pretty low and the top out steady, easiest E3 tick you'll ever get  :whistle:

Nan

• addict
#72 Re: Snowballing...
December 13, 2010, 05:00:31 pm
the platform beneath Nefertiti is holding up well, no danger of it disappearing I would have thought. Good effort by the builders. Unfortunately the route was wet but the bottom half dried out enough for a 20 minute play just before dark

Hoping the platform and the weather holds for the weekend, the latter isen't looking too likely but im after round two!  What where the other platforms, couple of people did a bit more building on the Ai No Corrida one yesterday.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#73 Re: Snowballing...
December 13, 2010, 05:27:46 pm
Definitely looks like more snow before the weekend, I'm ust hoping it'll be ok for Wednesday afternoon.  Good to know some more work's been done on Ai No Corrida, I didn't go down there because of Chris's mention of the requirement for spotters but I'll have a look Wed if it might be ok without.  or try to make a friend before then

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#74 Re: Snowballing...
December 13, 2010, 07:30:16 pm
So did it rain in the peak today?
forecast doesn't look great for tomorrow.
Hoping to get to burbage north, if anyone has got any conditions reports in the morning, please post up.
Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal