UKBouldering.com

Plasces to stay in Mallorca (Read 8564 times)

chummer

• forum abuser
Plasces to stay in Mallorca
September 07, 2009, 11:33:56 pm
Looking for any info on places people have stayed or know of in Mallorca specifically near the DWS. Last time we just dossed but am thinking of maybe an apartment or similar, my Spanish is pretty shite so any info would greatly speed up the process of looking, cheers.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
September 08, 2009, 10:31:38 am
If you want to be near the DWS but will still have a car and can travel a bit, this place is great:

http://www.hostaloliver.com/home.php?idioma=ing

It's walking distance to Cala Figuera where there is some bouldering and potential for DWS (as well as lots of nice bars and places to eat), although I don't think any of the routes are in the commonly available books, so if you wanted to do really local stuff you'd just have to make it up.  It's a 5 or 10 minute drive to Cala Santanyi, where Es Pontas is, and not too far from the other main areas; Barques, Diablo etc. if you have a car.

Fairly reasonable to stay, really nice accommodation and the owners are lovely, they also do great, reasonable food and have a bar, pool and internet access on site.

Also, if there are a group of you and you're going off season it's worth checking out villas, again you'll need a car really as they tend to be further out, but you can get bigger ones with private pools pretty cheap if you go out of the main tourist season.

chummer

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
September 08, 2009, 12:33:44 pm
Cheers for that Magpie, the Hostel's a good option, sharing the family room (there's 4 of us) would be about £18 a night which ain't too bad. If there's anyone heading out there in the next two weeks(we go on Saturday) and is keen to share the cost of a villa then please get in touch. In the mean time any other suggestions are gratefully received including any up to date knowledge on dossing there, any problems encountered with increased popularity? Good new/old dossing places etc?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#3 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
September 09, 2009, 06:17:44 pm
If your after dossing spots, the path on the way down to Cala Barques is very popular and usually a good scene. Lots of trees to pitch tents between.
Also something at Cala sa nau, bit more organised with bbq's at night and stuff.
You might not get Diablo in great nick that time of year. Sun doesn't get chance to dry rock out enough, which can make for hellish conditions. I pretty much fell off the easy fr6b traverse in, catching myself on a hold falling, yet managed to flash afroman, so go figure!

Anything else you need to know?

chummer

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
September 09, 2009, 09:05:40 pm
Cheers for that Adam, looks like we're dossing although unlike last time thinking of taking tents, one of the lads dossed at Cala Barques earlier this year so has got the knowledge for that, just seeing if there were any changes, problems or new spots really, Cala sa nau sounds interesting, I'm thinkin there will be a good scene at all the main spots at this time of year.
Speaking of scenes, were there plenty of people about on the crags when you were there, and did you need to fix any bail out knotted ropes or were there plenty in place where needed? Keen as Colmans for some Astroman action, good effort, I guess a good breeze should help with the conditions..?
Cheers
Jon

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#5 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
September 09, 2009, 10:15:40 pm
Yeah it was a few weeks back i was there. Just a weekend visiting the girlfriend on holiday. We fixed a rope at some venues, but there is a ladder now at Diablo in Afroman cave so all good. Couldn't comment on conditions as i have been 3 times to Diablo, all terrible conditions.

I don't know if you are still in Wales, i assume so, but i'll be staying at Doyles for a few days from tomorrow, so if you need any more info, i'll be about.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#6 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 01:37:10 pm
Can anyone recommend me a place to stay in mallorca? I am after a B&B I am planning on going in March.
Preferably near ish Sa gubia we will have a car with us so not too much of an issue if its a bit away.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 01:40:18 pm
Not B&B, but we booked our appartment in Porta Polenca (?sp) from Holiday Lettings, 3-bedroom apartment 20m from beach with roof top patio, about £400 for a week from this Saturday (really looking forward to a much needed holiday).  Town appears to have a fair bit open in the "off" season too which is good.

Why B&B though?  Its surely one of the easiest meals to make yourself (boil/fry egg/bowl of cereal/toast some bread).

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 02:36:05 pm
You'll like PP, Slackers, it's really lovely and close to loads of good climbing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 02:47:07 pm
Excellent, I've only heard good things about Mallorca so far, can't wait.  Going to go horse-riding one day too which should be fun (providing I don't get thrown off!)  :thumbsup:

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 02:50:27 pm
you need to be nearer the Manacor area if you're specifcally interested in the DWS. I'm sure there are loads of off-season bargains to be had.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#11 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 02:53:02 pm
Probably only going to have an afternoon/day max at that (one of my friends I'm going with is a wuss and dosen't like swimming/getting wet, the other is a cripple with long-term back problems so falling off into sea isn't appealing).

Thanks again for the loan of the guide book, been flicking through to build up PSYKE.  :bounce:

ShortRound

• addict
#12 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 03:31:41 pm
Mallorca is brilliant. If you get rubbish weather in the Northern mountain crags head for Cala Magrana or Tijuana in the South as the weather was always much better there.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#13 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 03:43:47 pm
Why B&B though?
I like to wake up and have my food made for me especially on holiday. Appartments is an option though if we get enough of us going.

I went to Mallorca and stayed in an appartment just outside the village of valldemossa last september I was not keen on the appartments. Love the rest of the holiday.

I am really keen to get Albahida done this time round.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 03:50:12 pm
Planning on getting Albahida done ourselves too, looks & sounds fun.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#15 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 03:57:47 pm
Are you going to do the ab or the ridge walk?
I am hoping to link it into the ridge walk and end up at the Pub (restaurant) by the car park for a celebratory  :beer2: or two.

I have been keen for that route ever since I was half way up a route on a hanging belay on sector paret del coloms looking across the valley at this amazing looking line. :jaw:

ShortRound

• addict
#16 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 03:59:41 pm

Albahida is fun, absolutely ridiculous amount of threads in the upper pitches.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 04:00:24 pm
Undecided, guess it depens what time we finish, but pub sounds good and would definitely be my preference  :beer1: :beer2:

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#18 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 04:20:27 pm
Albahida is an awesome route, you'll love it.  :thumbsup:

If I was going to do it again I'd seriously think about abbing off, we did the ridge walk and it was horrendous.  However, we climbed it in August and were walking off at about midday/1pm and we managed to get lost (a shortcut seemed like a good idea at the time) and ended up off the ridge almost falling off the other side of the bloody crag, oh and we ran out of water just after we got to the top.  In cooler weather, and if you actually follow the guide book and stick to the ridge, it's probably an alright walk off.  :whistle:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#19 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 04:21:26 pm
Are you going to do the ab or the ridge walk?
I am hoping to link it into the ridge walk and end up at the Pub (restaurant) by the car park for a celebratory  :beer2: or two.

I would definitely do the ridge walk, it provides a proper finale and feels hairier than the actual climb!  Always nice to get a proper summit tick, although I'm not sure if I would feel the need on any subsequent ascent as it's a long walk down an endlessly switch-backing path.  Still, do that and you'll work up a righteous appetite for going to the restaurant.  I remember celebrating with a huge piece of a loovely chocolate fudge cake with ice-cream.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 04:26:16 pm
Excellent, I'm sold, I was toying with the idea of not bothering with taking gear just for one route, but after chatting to a couple of people who'd done it last night and positive comments it will be coming along.  :thumbsup:

BenF

• forum hero
#21 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 04:36:21 pm
I went to Mallorca a couple of weeks ago and had possibly the best week's sport climbing and dws I've ever had.  Every route I did was brilliant and every crag distinctive.  Sa Gubia was amazing (up there as my favourite crag ever), Perxes likewise and some of the smaller crags like la Creveta and Betlem were great fun to spend a day at too. 

We were staying at a friend's apartment in Port d'Alcudia which is obviously a long way from the SE dws venues but out of season the roads were pretty empty and we comfortably got down to Santanyi in an hour.  I can't wait to go back there next year.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#22 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 07:06:34 pm
Slackers, if you're only going to have one day DWS, go to Barques. Beautiful beach well off the tourist trail with some amazing climbing. Get involved with the easy lines up the right side of the first cave. Fairly low, massive jugs, loads of fun.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 08:07:55 pm
Cool, cheers for the tip  :thumbsup:

Paul B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Plasces to stay in Mallorca
November 17, 2010, 08:25:05 pm
The Mrs. won't go back after taking her to Diablo on her first day  :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal