UKBouldering.com

Route 66, Goya and King Edward at Black Rocks (Read 11116 times)

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Route 66, Goya and King Edward at Black Rocks
November 22, 2010, 12:21:09 pm
We had a lock at these yesterday, but were unsure about exactly where they went.

I presume that Route 66 starts on the obvious flat slot down on the left, but then where exactly does it go?

On Goya does the line climb left or right of the main arete? Is the left side of the top in (I pressume the holds in the crack to the left are out)? How does this climb?

For King Edward, the guide describes moving left from some(?) starting position to two opposing side pulls, but online it is described as starting from the two sidepulls?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
On Goya does the line climb left or right of the main arete? Is the left   side of the top in (I pressume the holds in the crack to the left are   out)? How does this climb?

On the steep left side, heel hooks and holds on the right, as I recall.  The last move is a bit of a gripping lunge for a hueco over the lip. Not sure which crack you mean. I don't remember the problem being elimate at all (but it was a while ago).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:37:58 pm by Tom de Gay »

grimer

• forum hero
Hi Andy,

best to refer you to where i got the info:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=147120

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=114706

sorry for the confusion

I think Dr T might be from around there, and Tom de Gay will know about Goya.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Cheers fellas.

So it seems like King Edward starts from the two sidepulls.

I could still do with more clarification for the exact line of Route 66. Does it go diagonally up from the slot, or traverse right to the edge first? When near the edge, is everything in, or is it eliminate? Hopefully Mark Evans, or someone he climbs with could answer these?

Tom, does Goya go to the hueco on top with your right hand, with your left on a pocket/ pinch on the arete? Or does it go to the hueco with your left somehow?

Thanks again.

cofe

• forum hero
I always thought that what became Route 66 was nearly a very good line, but it was flawed for the reasons you mention - specifically does it eliminate stuff? I've not looked at it for a year or two mind.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
It's all a bit lost in the mists of time, so not sure I can give decent beta. Pocket/pinch on the arete with your right I would have thought, as you're climbing the prow on the steep left side, then throw one on for top with your left (or maybe it's your right...)?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
So you definiely throw with either your left or your right. I'll make a note of that.

Goya looks to be the best of the problems (discounting the ones which are really routes) at Black Rocks.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Pardon my ignorance. Is Goya the same as My Brown Trousers, i.e. the lower left arete on the Gaia block and is Route 66 the thing under Pseudonym?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Yes. I have it down as Brown Trousers in my list of justice too. Better name I reckon.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
Both names courtesy of Grimer, who graciously offered Goya as an alternative name to My Brown Trousers for the new guide. Thought I'd go for Goya, rather than put it to the UKB vote... though My Pigeon the Horse Bean or somesuch would have been more in keeping with tradition.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
You may not remember, but the name My Brown Trousers originally came, indirectly, from you.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,7616.msg112878.html#msg112878

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Threads like this are one of the reasons I love UKB...

Tb

• Derby Arboretum Boulder
My interpretation of King Edward, moving left to the side pulls and trying to avoid feet on the back wall would be tricky I think!
Its a shame there isn't more space under the boulder.  Apologies for the quality of the video.

cofe

• forum hero
What's people's general take on the bouldering at Black Rocks? I've done bits: most on Railway Slabs, black Gdn, bits on main face, golden days, but nothing on the top blocks. Just wondering how to handle it for the bouldering guide. Ta.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The Block is the best highball slab venue on grit. If that's not your bag, its not worth a special visit just to boulder unless a local/ connoisseur.

cofe

• forum hero
I had a good look at Route 66 today and can only assume that at the grade it avoids the crack at the back.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
I think this must be the case. There are two pics of it on UKC and the climber is on the lip on both and there is no chalk on the crack.
Did you check out the angel boulder while there?

cofe

• forum hero
Yes. I'll never get those 20 minutes of my life back.

grimer

• forum hero
Twenty minutes? That's nothing, I think me and offwidth had three visits to find it.

To be fair, the guide does say that it is of 'minor interest, even to locals'.

cofe

• forum hero
There weren't even any locals there when I got there. Speaks volumes.

At least you know your directions work. 

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
So if My Brown Trousers is

the lower left arete on the Gaia block

a boulder problem up a small prow on the left of the Gaia block, just beneath slanted and enchanted

then what is the arete directly below the start of Gaia, which is a good problem in the low 7s?

cofe

• forum hero
You mean on its right side? Dunno. Isn't it still a project on its left?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I always thought it was Tom's thing. Ben did it more or less straight on on monday in a few goes, good problem.

cofe

• forum hero
Tom's thing is left of it, so I think Ben's is probably new. I think he should call it 'Alan's Deep Bath'. Grade?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
You need his opinion really, though at the time it was swayed by the assumption that Tom had given it 7b+ or 7c. To me, it looked about 7a+...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal