UKBouldering.com

Factors that would makes you visit or avoid a bouldering wall? (Read 20036 times)

ducko

• junky
for me,
weather if its nice ill go outside,
distance is always a factor except all the walls by me are the same distance away
quality of the problems and variety in the area is the main thing

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
cost is a big factor and weather or not my mates were there but the biggest one would be the conditions at the crag

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Anywhere that plays Johnny Cash or Fall Out Boy on repeat for 8 hours!

Would that make you visit or avoid?  :-\

Ah... I didn't read the topic title very carefully. This situation is clearly to be avoided at all costs!

Things that make a good wall are:

Posh toilets, good coffee, campus board, BM2000, Lots of wide compression problems and some minging board style crimping.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Will post it in the syphoned thread!

Simon Brown

• regular
  • Saggy, and a bit loose at the seams.
Time constraints
weather
my health
variety of angles/styles
good cafe
showers
BM2000
The people there
Campus board
Space to stretch, do yoga

Which is the most important blend depends on how I feel that day.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
for me two of the most important aspects are customer servive(how friendly the staff are) and the standard/frequency of route setting.its also really nice if there are lots of good climbers there that arent quiet as good as i am  :whistle:

The Aaronator

• menacing presence
And another thing....People performing ridiculous feats of yoga most definitely makes me avoid a climbing wall. (Go to West View on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening and you'll see what I mean) :whistle:

webbo

• forum hero
Munech
Is the wall in Bielefeld easy to gain entry.Is there any taxing regs that will stump an inability to speak German.My daughter moves there on friday so  I suspect I will be out there in the near future.
Do you know if there is any real rock in the area.

i.munro

• junky
So a couple of months in we have, on the "go to " side (with no of times mentioned in brackets)

good setting (2)
frequent setting
other people there/ambience (4)
good gender balance
variety of angles/styles
price(3)
scruffy
busy
posh toilets  -- really??
good coffee
good cafe
customer service
showers
BM2000
Campus board
Space to stretch, do yoga

on the "avoid side"  things are a bit less clear

crowding
heat
absence of cowboy hat wearers -- not sure if this is intended for this thread??
looking 'log' on website - I'm guessing  anti-log means tall & steep
skin unfriendly  -- don't get this. they all use the same holds don't they? Is sliminess a good thing?

So what seems to be the attraction for most is  other people closely followed by cheapness (which I suspect means the place being pretty crowded in order to make money).
Thanks everyone.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Munech
Is the wall in Bielefeld easy to gain entry.Is there any taxing regs that will stump an inability to speak German.My daughter moves there on friday so  I suspect I will be out there in the near future.
Do you know if there is any real rock in the area.
Bielefeld is super-easy access. Just stroll in, no front desk, just a ticket machine. Nobody checked my ticket; I guess as it's the Alpine Club not a commercial venture, they assume - hopefully correctly - most climbers are decent honest folk. Otoh: no drinks or snacks either, bring your own. Finding it is easy with google maps or a navi; I have no idea how far it from public transport as I was in a hire car. Note: only open in the evening on weekdays.

Depends what you mean by real rock "in the area". I've only been there a few weekdays in winter so didn't really have occasion to check anything out, but according to kletternimnorden.de/ there's a quarry with some bouldering right on the outskirts of Bielefeld in the Teutoberger Wald, and I'm sure there would be cragging somewhere within a hour or two's drive.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
skin unfriendly  -- don't get this. they all use the same holds don't they? Is sliminess a good thing?

To a degree. I find that on plastic routes, it's best to get on them when they've just been set, the holds are nice'n'rough and the friction is good.

Whereas for bouldering, where one is pulling harder on smaller/slopier holds and making more attempts, a certain amount of smoothed-offness is indeed no bad thing.

webbo

• forum hero
thanks for the info .I had found the wall when i googled rock climbing Bielefeld.my daughters husband is in the army based out there,so hopefully ther might be the odd squady who climbs.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
They don't all use the same holds, I think Bleaustone holds are noticably smoother than Holdz for example. Also, if holds have been used a lot, i think they do get smoother (nothing to do with slime). Smoother holds means less pain, and you need to squeeze them harder - what's not to like?

i.munro

• junky
Also, if holds have been used a lot, i think they do get smoother . Smoother holds means less pain, and you need to squeeze them harder - what's not to like?

Sounds like polish to me & I'm not a fan.
However let's assume that your typical customer thinks as you do. What could  the owner of a new-ish wall do to address this?
Bit of a catch 22 isn't it? People are avoiding the wall as the holds haven't been worn by a lot of use & the holds aren't being worn because people are avoiding the wall ...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
However let's assume that your typical customer thinks as you do. What could  the owner of a new-ish wall do to address this?

Wooden holds (ideally on a steep woody).

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal