UKBouldering.com

Help needed from clever computer type folks (Read 3168 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Here is the beef.

My house mate has a dinky little Acer netbook laptop effort. It has Norton on it, but it has somehow managed to get a nasty visrus type thing on it. I have tried to download Superantispyware but it wont let the programme run. I have tried ruinning msconfig , after seeking advice but it won't let me do that either. A pop up box appears every time saying this programme is infected and the only way to stop it is to buy this software. I know its a scam, its obvious but it is rife throughout the comnputer and the poor lad has only had it for about 2 months. I have looked into doing a system restore but he has never set it up.

Any helpers?  :blink:

Robl

• addict
  • A bit of an animal
what is the program called that keeps popping up - ? Google it and usually someone creates an automated cleaner for this type of malware.

Hope this helps

Drewski Rootbitch

• addict
I'd start with a boot in safe-mode, run Norton (hate Norton) in a full scan. Then download spybot S&D and Adaware and full scan with both this should hopefully sort out most things and get the stress levels down a bit.
Don't forget a boot time scan (back to Norton) afterwards.
 ::)

Paul B

• forum hero
what is the program called that keeps popping up - ? Google it and usually someone creates an automated cleaner for this type of malware.

Hope this helps

Type the exact phrase that pops up into Google and I'd be surprised if you didn't find a "HowTo" on removing it as this thing is quite common.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
boot up in safe mode (holding f8 during boot normally I think) then run various anti virus/ anti malware programs

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is great for removing nasties.

Download the installer first, then install it and do a full scan once you've booted into Safe Mode.

You should be able to run SuperAntiSpyware in the same way.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Cheers all, gonna have a go at sorting it out tomorrow night. Will let you know the outcome as there is a strong chance I will fuck it up somehow!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
I had this a while back, it was a total nightmare - it prevents you from running any other software to remove it. Luckily I had a dual boot option so used the other OS to remove it. Good luck.

Edit: some more info here: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,15785.msg275435.html#msg275435

Its not a virus so norton won't pick it up, its a program that your mate inadvertently gave permission to install itself.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 03:38:10 pm by Johnny Brown »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
We had it too - just passed laptop on to technogeek brother in law and he got rid of it.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
We had this on my Father in-laws machine. Malware bytes sorted it eventually. Handy work around was that it's autorun was related to the main account, if you have another account try logging in with that to run MWB

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal