UKBouldering.com

Next Years Project (Read 3355 times)

Peanuts

• player
Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 11:21:21 am
I thought i'd post this in the general chuffing board before moving on to more focused begging in the beta sub-forum :-

Well there are some hard choices to be made,  I need to start work on next years project or start eating pies and take up knitting. Owing to my rather long list of prerequisites for a route which include proximity to Sheffield,  ease of access,  likelyhood of being dry and suitability for a stamina plodder, the options are few.  Obviously, this inevitably leads us  to The Tor (with the exception of the stamina bit) which as I say means some hard choices. Having done all the easier routes and not being particular interested in bizarre link-ups,  I have narowed the  options to one of  either; Pump up The Power, Boot Boys or Revelations which obviously means I'm screwed :-[ The one guttering candle at the end of the wind tunnel is that I have all winter to train for my chosen project so the question that I have for you Tor regulars and power monsters is ... which of the above would be suitable for someone lacking basic power(no self deprication here) but with a moderate amount of general fittness and four months to train?  and what specific training would be of most benefit ? (dur ... power ?? dur-brain)

Your thoughts and knowledge are, as ever, gold dust 8)

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 11:49:42 am
Have you done Chimes of Freedom? Less bouldery/knacky/powerful than the other three you mention, plus there's sort of a bit of stamina stuff at the top.

Out of the other three, Boot Boys is the least bouldery assuming that your finger fits in the mono at the bottom. If it doesn't then it's probably the hardest of the lot. Revelations boils down to one hard move - you may as well try it and see if you are anywhere close to the move.

Peanuts

• player
#2 Re: Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 11:57:24 am
Tragically, that was this years prolonged but ultimately successful project, you see my dilemma  :-[

north_country_boy

• junky
#3 Re: Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 12:08:14 pm
Bodybuilder? At least you won't have to queue for it now  ;)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#4 Re: Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 12:17:38 pm
Set your sights higher and try Mecca ?

Have at least one pie in the meantime though - you look like you need one

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#5 Re: Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 12:25:52 pm
Have you already done Caviar? As consistently dry, nice moves and holds and less bouldery (easier) than your three suggestions.

Peanuts

• player
#6 Re: Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 03:31:57 pm
Caviar is indeed a good suggestion but I figure that it will be easier to persuade belayers  to go to the Tor than Rubicon.

The way I see it is, Revelations is the route I would most like to do as it has history and character but may be too bouldery for a relative weakling such as my self unless there is some secret cunning that I'm not privvy to.  Boot Boys would be my second favourite as it looks like a great route but pockets have never been my forte and I may have to join AA (anorexics anonymous) before I could pull hard on shit mono's. Which leaves us with PUTP which is probably the least favourite of the three as it is hardly a classic (YMMV) but possibly the one that might succumb to a regimented training regime over the winter.

Standard disclaimer applies as I may be talking total cock.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 03:56:22 pm
a relative weakling such as my self

...Standard disclaimer applies as I may be talking total cock.

That first bit is total cock for a start. If you're not psyched for a given project then I'd of thought it'd be tough going right from the start (saying that I have zero tenacity so I'm not best placed to offer advice)?

Get on Revelations if its the one you'd most like to do, as you say; you've got all winter to train.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#8 Re: Next Years Project
November 01, 2010, 10:06:41 pm
Exactly, you ain't going to do it by not trying it.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#9 Re: Next Years Project
November 10, 2010, 05:13:58 pm
Move to Yorkshire and wait for Kilnsey to dry out  :-\ :whistle: ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal