UKBouldering.com

This anyone's from here!? (Read 43749 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#100 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 01:20:32 am
Home alone star Macaulay Culkin

Suggested (unlikely?) culprit

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#101 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 06:35:28 am
Hey

He is a 15 year old lad who is keen on climbing.

Not sure he deserves his profile on UKC being posted up here and he certainly hasn't done anything to have his photo posted up here and mocked by you PaulB.

That is well out of order

Dave

chris j

• forum abuser
#102 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 09:46:28 am

If you look towards the bottom of his 'about me' jazz...do we have a culprit or a misguided soul?

Or an impressionable 15 year old who saw the list 4 days ago, thought it was cool and updated his profile a day later...?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#103 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 10:09:19 am
He is a 15 year old lad who is keen on climbing.

Not sure he deserves his profile on UKC being posted up here and he certainly hasn't done anything to have his photo posted up here and mocked by you PaulB.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of the Shit, isn't that...? thread?

He posted his own profile on UKC, its not been posted here at all.  Its been linked to from here, subtle/obvious/pedantic but it is not the same as posting it here.  One of the intrinsic aspects of filling out such a profile is that anyone can then look at it.

Same as your profile here.

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#104 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 02:26:16 pm
This is a pretty light hearted thread tbh,

it's not as if:
a) I actually believe he wrote the blog (though he may have done...)
and
b) if he did write it then I would do anything with regards approaching him.
Infact nearly all the comments above found the blog to be an amusing distraction.
If I were him I would be loving the connection.

Paul B

• forum hero
#105 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 02:47:19 pm

Well out of order? Get some context. If you took this thread seriously it might come across as very offensive but like a lot of things posted on here (thankfully), they're not 100% serious (in fact far from it). Take a look at the thread linked, I've been likened to a buck-toothed Beegee's star amongst other things.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#106 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 03:01:12 pm
it's not as if:
a) I actually believe he wrote the blog (though he may have done...)

You are only speculating that the lad was the author of the coolist and by your own admission he probably isn't. Consequently singling out a 15 year old who hasn't posted here for ridicule is arguably verging on cyberbullying.

I would remove the post/s if he requested. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#107 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 03:04:54 pm
Take a look at the thread linked, I've been likened to a buck-toothed Beegee's star amongst other things.

Yeah.

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,2309.msg204401.html#msg204401

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#108 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 03:17:45 pm
a) I don't see that age has anything to do with it.

b) Correlating two things (two coolists one on a blog and one on a user-profile) is hardly (cyber-)bullying! 

c) No derogatory comment was made by camear, he simply posited that b) might be indicative that both have the same author.

d) Pointing out a likeness isn't (cyber-)bullying either (in my world, but some may disagree), but it wasn't camear pointed out the likeness (I think he looks more like that young chap from Nestle myself).

:shrug:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:46:06 pm by slack---line »

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#109 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 03:19:46 pm

Well out of order? Get some context. If you took this thread seriously it might come across as very offensive but like a lot of things posted on here (thankfully), they're not 100% serious (in fact far from it). Take a look at the thread linked, I've been likened to a buck-toothed Beegee's star amongst other things.
Here here

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#110 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 03:20:55 pm
Yeah come on shark it's not as if anyone's had a pop about someone's abysmal spelling on the photo captions they've posted on the internet or anything really nasty like that.

Paul B

• forum hero
#111 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 03:37:18 pm
Here here

I hadn't seen the manipulated version. Thats going to haunt me forever.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#112 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 08:04:09 pm

Paul

You are an adult who posts on here and who knows (at least by way of the site) a lot of the people on here and takes part in the banter of this site. So any mickey taking of you is completely different. Posting a link (I take your point slack-line) to a photo of a 15 year old lad who has never posted here and then ridiculing him is in my opinion out of order.

To me age is important here, he is just a kid, keen on climbing and undoubtedly had no idea that anyone would want to link his photo from UKC to here and then take the mickey out of him. Yes, his profile is open to everyone (as is mine here) but I still don't see that, that makes it okay.

As for whether I take the thread seriously. Of course I personally don't but I reckon that lad might.

Maybe instead of puntering me, you should just stop and have a think about whether you might have done something a bit wrong...

Dave

nik at work

• forum hero
#113 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 08:09:37 pm
Spot on Davo/Dave.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#114 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 08:16:51 pm
At some point kids have to accept the fact that there is a big nasty world out there where people disagree and take the piss out of each other (which is exaggerated by the anonymity of t'net).

I'd say at 15 he's getting close to being there.  After all, not long till he can legally have sex (not that such an arbitrary line has stopped anyone before), and just over two-ish years till he can get pissed and join in our farce of an electoral system.

I'd hazard a guess that he's already seen some things on t'net that are likely far more upsetting/disturbing than being likened to a movie star (which actually might be considered a compliment depending on your stand point).

Besides, with posting on UKC he's likely had far worse than an anonymous (unless Paul knows him?) piss-take for a vague likeness.

Its all about perspective really.

Paul B

• forum hero
#115 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 08:28:00 pm
Again, go flick through the linked thread; Ondrawad features a lot, from an early age (as well as in the muscular deformities etc.). Different because he's waddage? (I'd say he's pretty keen on climbing as well). There are other instances as well; the red tips lot, Sasscotty when he first showed up etc.

The whole thread is tongue in cheek, if you think being likened to the star of Home Alone is in someway a nasty or hurtful insult I'm at a loss, it clearly isn't.

Davo

• obsessive maniac
#116 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 08:49:24 pm
Hmmm... not sure I see much similarity between this situation and Lord Ondra but to be fair I never did really like what people said about him. I didn't comment in those instances because he is quite clearly a pro climber who is in the public domain etc...

Anyway, we shall just have to agree to disagree because I do see something wrong with what you did.

Dave

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#117 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 09:19:54 pm
This wasn't me but I reckon its somebody of University age. The use of the word choad is quite telling, it's quite "in" in the Leeds and Man circles. I would suggest that a collaboration effort from the Manc Uni lot would be most likely. If its one guy alone then I must commend them for their knowledge of climbing history and also the goings on of UKB and UKC.
My first thought was that it was Ewan but he says it wasn't him.

Fortunately, TomTom I'm still at uni and hopefully will be next year too.

Stubbs

#118 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 18, 2010, 09:55:16 pm
Will, I bet the earliest use of the word choad on this forum predates when I joined in 2004, it's been around for sometime, mainly to describe what Saltbeef is packing...

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#119 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 19, 2010, 12:00:19 am
 :off:

The first ascent on ukc for a climb with the word choad in the name is from 1999

Oad to the Choad
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=68197

so that is 11 years at least

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#120 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 19, 2010, 02:18:27 am
Indeed. It struck me that it was a particularly popular word in the Leeds Uni club at the mo. In fact one of the climbing houses is actually called Choad Hall (where Ewan, Dave Warburton and a couple of others who know Franco and the Manc Uni lot live).

markwellin

#121 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 20, 2010, 03:20:29 pm
im pretty she its franco's doing this
http://www.ukclimbing.com/images/dbpage.html?id=146912

check out the innit in the picture comments,

stonemonkey

• regular
#122 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 20, 2010, 03:31:31 pm
jesus, innit  :bow:
 :wank:

Franco

• menacing presence
#123 Re: This anyone's from here!?
November 20, 2010, 05:06:31 pm
Nowt to do with me innit. Mint Blog though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal