UKBouldering.com

The Shite British Boulder Problem (Read 14473 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:00:51 am
So we seem to be decided on the Great...

But what about the worst famous problem. Britain seems to be littered with these. Shit problems that people rave about :lol:

I'll start the ball rolling - Jerry's traverse. The arse-drag epitomised. How is this so admired? I don't get it - the crux isn't climbing it, its clenching your arse hard enough to stop it touching the ground :o

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:03:44 am
The Joker? The Ace is okay as its free. But the Joker, stepping off a block isnt really classic is it... Though when i actually stick the top it will be the best problem in the world  :roll:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:05:26 am
Now i never said I liked the thing, but it is of historical significance, and the epitome of its kind (arse dragging traverses :wink: ).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:06:40 am
The Villain at the Bridestones?

Ok, it's a nice enough problem but it's not *that* good. I think people rate it because they're on some sort of Don Whillans worship tip. Never  understand this coz Whillans sounded like a right cnut.

dave

#4 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:08:08 am
i'm going to have to go for Bearclaw at the tor, closely follow by Harvey Oswald (milestone) and hampers hang.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:10:41 am
Hamper's Hang would be vastly improved if the back snapping block wasn't there.

dave

#6 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:12:26 am
and if it wasn't shit. (the trough is the best part of it). I mean ok its a good line, but the moves are shit shuffling on slopers that cut your palms to shreds, prefixed by boring footless swinging on hand-slicing jugs. what a bag of toss.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:15:18 am
I kinda like it  :P

Can I nominate everything on Peak Limestone (dons flame-suite)  :wink:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#8 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:15:46 am
Blind Date - Thrutchy nasty moves.
The Arete (Roaches) - Glass, glass, glass

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#9 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:17:45 am
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Blind Date - Thrutchy nasty moves.

Yeah yeah, i reckon we have a winner. Blind Date!  :clap:

Anyone agree

For one thing, if your tall its piss! Thats got to be a bad thing

dave

#10 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:19:20 am
fuck that, i like blind date.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:23:19 am
has to be bens roof at tor! can't even bring myself to write about it.  :roll:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 11:50:22 am

It is a bit polished, but it's not as bad as just about anything on Peak limestone and is a pleasant move.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:01:23 pm

Word on that, I don't even bother doin it any more cos its just not enjoyable

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#14 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:06:42 pm
Less of a problem, more of a boulder.

What the fuck is the point in the trackside boulder? What does it actually do, apart from sit in a field like a giant turd, with a completely piss back face and a boring front one? As if that wasn't enough, the only decent problem is too reachy to be worthwile. Sack of arse.

Failing that - rock attrocity. A line of drilled crimps in a piss-smelling cave that you only go to when it rains, whose only purpose is to make muscle bound limestone freaks feel like a hero, and to tweak A2 pulleys.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#15 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:24:29 pm
Yo Dave, you can't say Harvey Oswold is shit when you havn't done it-especially when everyone who has done it rates it! I will agree that Hampers Hang is a pile of toss, as well as a certain problem at Stanton between Big Brother and Little Brother(sorry percy).

dave

#16 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:29:55 pm
Quote from: "Scouse D"
Yo Dave, you can't say Harvey Oswold is shit when you havn't done it.

watch me!

i would have done it if the holds weren't such nasty share peices of shit - first go i tagged near the jug i remember then was too agonised to pull on properly. its only 1 basic indoor-type move anyway, and its in a shit hole. If you ask me all the people that rave about it do so cos they're under the beleif that they've just easily ticked a V8, rather than the quality of the problem. :lol:

anyway, like ben moon said, you don't have to have climbed something to say how shite it is.

cofe

• forum hero
#17 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:37:10 pm
its V6 innit? and we dick around in other caves? i thought it was quite cool. good crimps and footholds to bonza jug.

anyway the shittest problem must be on peak limestone somewhere: bear claw? to be honest you flick through the lime pages in the guide, stop at any page and that would be it.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#18 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:39:09 pm
Dear oh dear Dave-or are you just bitter cos you havn't ticked an easy V8 :wink:
Harvey Oswold is a quality problem, and one of my favourite in wales(and it's been V6 for a while now). The piece of rock it is on is very impressive, certainly not a shit hole, and the move is powerful, commiting and very satisfying...all in all, not worthy of your attack one bit!

Scouse D

• forum hero
#19 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:40:10 pm
word cofe

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:42:59 pm
I'm with Stu on the Trackside boulder. Practically every problem on it is an eliminate in some way, except Trackside and that's not very good. And as Stu also says the only decent ish semi-independant problem is totally height dependant, even if I do harbour fantasies of mantelling it.

Also on disappointing blocks is Remergence buttress. Most useful in the rain, but then the landing fills up with water. The only decent problem is the warm up - Blind Date is horrible and thrutchy, Blind Fig is nice but a total eliminate, submergence suffers from polish and anyway where's the fun in shuffling along 10cm from a puddle, Remergence as a problem is just bad, and Blind Date has a cheating method that brings the grade down to about font 6b, and the original method is just plain painful. Then there are the traverses - the ron one shuffling along under the overlap is cramped and horrible and strips the skin from your fingers (AND eliminate again). I've not done the other one. And then you've got to cart you sodden and muddy mat back to the car, so you get filthy, the car gets filthy, and you get told off whe you get back home.

Sorry, I know there's a lot of fans out there, but I just don't get the attraction.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 02:57:41 pm by Ru »

cofe

• forum hero
#21 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:43:03 pm
its V6 innit? and we dick around in other caves? i thought it was quite cool. good crimps and footholds to bonza jug.

anyway the shittest problem must be on peak limestone somewhere: bear claw? to be honest you flick through the lime pages in the guide, stop at any page and that would be it.

dave

#22 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:45:40 pm
whatever guys....its falling on deaf ears thy knows :wink: . All in know is its the least enjoyable problem i've ever been on in NWales (cromlech roof crack excepted) and i've been to parisellas a few times. Was V8 in NSoul though weren't it, so i bet a lot still think it is maybe.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#23 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:46:01 pm
and Blind Date has a cheating method that brings the grade down to about font 6b, and the original method is just plain painful.

Sorry, I meant Blind Drunk

Kim

• forum abuser
#24 The Shite British Boulder Problem
January 29, 2004, 12:48:54 pm
don't worry about it Scouse, everything dave fails on is automatically consigned to the "it's a pile of shit anyway" bin  :wink:

hmmm, there's tons of shite eliminates, and people seem not to like traverses, so we need the worst non-eliminate, straight-up problem.

I nominate....
that B6 right of talk to me martin - awkward, painful and generally just plain nasty.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal