UKBouldering.com

Approach Shoe recommendations (Read 46420 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#25 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 23, 2015, 04:06:25 pm
Oh OK. Our lass has them, they aren't particularly bulky, but agree about build quality.

galpinos

• forum hero
#26 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 23, 2015, 04:26:34 pm
Hit me up with some beta on approach shoes. As always, beta on bargain bin replacements would be appreciated!

I have three options:

Dry approach that I might want to climb: Evolv Cruzer http://www.evolvsports.com/shop/approach-shoes/cruzer-slate/ Lightweight, cheapish, not bad to climb in, sole of death on wet grass a la guide tennie

Wet grass/mountain route approach (Lakes/Wales): Innov8 Talons - my fell running shoe - lightweight, not good to actually climb in but great on the actual approach.

5.10 Camp Fours - I've used these for everything but they are a jack of all trades - neither great to climb in nor good on the wet grass approach of death, they're heavy and when they get wet they take an age to dry out. The new ones look even worse. They mostly get worn to walk from the car to the wall or the car to a gritstone crag for a bouldering session

blamo

• addict
#27 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 23, 2015, 05:48:57 pm

Dry approach that I might want to climb: Evolv Cruzer http://www.evolvsports.com/shop/approach-shoes/cruzer-slate/ Lightweight, cheapish, not bad to climb in, sole of death on wet grass a la guide tennie

I found these to be so lightweight that on even moderate approaches you wanted a more rugged shoe.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#28 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 23, 2015, 08:39:03 pm
Yeah, what is it with 5.10 ... systematically ruining most of their best products?

Charles Cole now lives in Dinosaur, Colorado and writes Astrophysics papers.

The best approach shoes I ever had for the UK were a pair of fell-running shoes (Walshes, I'm sure Innov8s could work too) whose studs had worn a little. I had the front quarter resoled with Stealth rubber. The heel and ball of the foot was still plenty grippy on wet grass, the toe climbed like a comfortable rock-shoe. I did all the classic routes on the E.Face of Tryfan in an afternoon, the Cuillin Ridge, and Eagle Ridge followed by the five Lochnagar Munros in them. Ideal for this kind of thing.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#29 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 23, 2015, 10:02:44 pm
Actual 'approach' shoes a la tennies and similar are designed for the californian approaches walking up low angle granite slabs for a few hundred feet, and and dry dusty trails. They are brilliant at this; but as more or less everone else says shite at getting to any uk crags except the ones you could walk to in a pair of £2 flip flops anyway. They do however make you look like a climber in the pub, which can be good or bad.
Also agree with the masses in that running shoes are by far the best approach shoes for the uk, i've got some asics trail shoes, gtx lined  - and been pretty water proof, comfortable rugged and light. They were about £40 in sports direct about 4 or 5 years ago and still fine.

standard

• obsessive maniac
#31 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 23, 2015, 10:49:29 pm
Another "running shoes" advocate. Just bought a pair of Inov8 Trailroc 245's. Perfect.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#32 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 24, 2015, 07:51:16 am
Sutor, ne ultra crepidam

A load of cobblers?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#33 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 24, 2015, 08:48:53 am
I bought a pair of La  Sportiva Gandas for going to yosemite a couple of years back. They were expensive,  heavy and sweaty but they did climb and approach well,  like someone said,  on granite an dusty trails. I can't count the number of times I ended up flat on my arse on wet grass or mud. I'm amazed shoes with dimples sell in the UK!

Since then I got them resoled with a proper mountain vibram  sole. Don't climb so well but grippy as shit on a stick in all connies.

They are,  however,  even heavier than fucked now. So bad for multipitch.

A lot of my mates have innov-8s or similar and they seem ideal. Next time that's wjatwI'm going for  i'm

dave

#34 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 24, 2015, 08:55:38 am
I think what this thread is demonstrating is that you probably can't have something that is all three of the below, you can only have two:

- lightweight
- climbs well (good rubber, flat-ish sole, non-clumpy shape)
- walks well (good on mud, keeps feet dry etc)

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 24, 2015, 10:33:17 am
What Dave said.

As I'm mostly venturing to sport locations ATM and currently have no big trips planned I've gone for the 'das. For shoes that I'd clip to a harness (or more often than not my second) I haven't a clue what I'd buy.

T_B

• forum hero
#36 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
September 24, 2015, 01:58:44 pm
For shoes that I'd clip to a harness (or more often than not my second) I haven't a clue what I'd buy.

Barefoot style running shoes which weigh < 200gms seem popular with a few Guides I know. E.g. http://www.merrell.com/UK/en_GB/trail-glove-3/17571M.html?ref=barefoot&dwvar_17571M_color=J03903#q=barefoot&start=1

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#37 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 29, 2016, 01:42:59 pm
Just to bump this up again as I was so impressed with the wear out of these over the last 8 months that I've just bought another pair!

tomtom

• forum hero
#38 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 29, 2016, 01:50:46 pm
Just to bump this up again as I was so impressed with the wear out of these over the last 8 months that I've just bought another pair!

Hot rocks huh.... ;)

galpinos

• forum hero
#39 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 29, 2016, 03:26:54 pm

As good as they may be, Mike Ashley can suck my balls, he's not getting a penny of my money.

tomtom

• forum hero
#40 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 29, 2016, 03:49:35 pm

As good as they may be, Mike Ashley can suck my balls, he's not getting a penny of my money.

I ordered something through SD last year. It still feels dirty...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#41 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 29, 2016, 03:52:37 pm
I know the feeling, especially so, now I've got an email saying their website has been hacked

We are sorry to inform you that we have uncovered evidence that SportPursuit has been the victim of an attempted data hack, which may have affected a limited number of SportPursuit members. The fact that you are receiving this email means that you may be affected.

Our advice is that you remain vigilant over the coming days. Should you see any evidence of unusual activity on your bank account or credit card, you should contact your bank immediately to report this.

The SportPursuit team acted immediately to fix the problem, and the issue has been resolved. You can continue to use our site with confidence that your transactions are secure.

Paul B

• forum hero
#42 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 29, 2016, 03:59:17 pm
Do you bother to carry them up the Chief or do you opt for sandals or something equally lightweight?

The 'das are still holding up well.

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#43 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 29, 2016, 04:16:19 pm
I heard that the hard men go in by helicopter.

AndyR

• forum hero
#44 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 29, 2016, 04:59:38 pm
Do you bother to carry them up the Chief or do you opt for sandals or something equally lightweight?

Evolv cruisers are the thing for clipping to harness.

galpinos

• forum hero
#45 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 30, 2016, 11:00:07 am
I know the feeling, especially so, now I've got an email saying their website has been hacked

We are sorry to inform you that we have uncovered evidence that SportPursuit has been the victim of an attempted data hack, which may have affected a limited number of SportPursuit members. The fact that you are receiving this email means that you may be affected.

Our advice is that you remain vigilant over the coming days. Should you see any evidence of unusual activity on your bank account or credit card, you should contact your bank immediately to report this.

The SportPursuit team acted immediately to fix the problem, and the issue has been resolved. You can continue to use our site with confidence that your transactions are secure.

Are SportPursuit owned by Sports Direct/Mike Ashley now? Bugger, another company to cross off the list. I've only just realised Sweatshop (quite an appropriate name for a Mike Ashley business) is one of his.....

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#46 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 31, 2016, 03:26:12 pm
Are SportPursuit owned by Sports Direct/Mike Ashley now? Bugger, another company to cross off the list. I've only just realised Sweatshop (quite an appropriate name for a Mike Ashley business) is one of his.....
I think there was some confusion between sportpursuit and sportdirect by SA Chris, though I do know that not only does Mike Ashley own sportdirect but also karrimor and most of the other brands in there (lonsdale, no fear etc.) see http://www.sportsdirectplc.com/our-brands/sports-and-leisure.aspx and http://www.sportsdirectplc.com/our-brands/fashion-and-lifestyle.aspx for many more things to avoid

SA Chris

• forum hero
#47 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 31, 2016, 03:28:05 pm
My bad, sorry. Either support a sweatshop, or get your account hacked. Rock / hard place.

creedence

• regular
#48 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 31, 2016, 03:34:52 pm

Evolv cruisers are the thing for clipping to harness.

Been looking at the newer model of these, as they are much lighter than 5.10s for clipping to my (yeah right, my second's) harness.  Bit of a tougher build than the old ones, but still look really light.

Are they instant death on wet grass, or not too bad?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#49 Re: Approach Shoe recommendations
March 31, 2016, 04:10:55 pm
Inov8 F-Lite 195 is the shoe for near weightless harness clipping & yet not dying on the descent

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal