UKBouldering.com

Android 2.2 (Read 9586 times)

Stubbs

#25 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 10:04:25 am
Chrome is so heavy it almost crashes by laptop, I can't imagine what it would do to my phone!  I really like the browser on the Desire, my T Mobile one came with 2.2 on it, although I can't imagine I would have noticed if it didn't!

galpinos

• forum hero
#26 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 10:51:28 am
Recently got a Desire on Three, generally pretty pleased with it. It's on 2.1 at the mo and Three/HTC are dicking about with the release of 2.2 months after most got it. They released it but it had a major bug that disabled the Market! So they pulled the update, Three have released the code back to HTC for them to push out (thought it would be other way round but apparently not)

Looks like we might get it just before everyone else get 2.3 Gingerbread! I for one was amazed that there is no GDocs intergration with Android! Lets hope they are working on it...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2010/11/five-features-google-needs-to-deliver-in-android-23.ars

I'm a bit baffled. I've a Desire on 3 and in the software info (under the settings menu) it says Android Version - 2.2

Is this incorrect?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#27 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 11:02:16 am
What reason have you to doubt that your phone doesn't know what version of software it has installed on it?

Obi may have got a version of the phone that had sat on the shelf with 2.1 waiting to be dispatched, you got one that was fresh off the shelf and already had 2.2 on it.  Luck of the draw :shrug:

Personally I'm amazed at the general hysteria over phone OS versions/ROMs given that they are essentially computers and most people don't salivate over a new OS for their desktop/laptop each time an enhancement is released.

Stubbs

#28 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 11:04:22 am
Personally I'm amazed at the general hysteria over phone OS versions/ROMs given that they are essentially computers and most people don't salivate over a new OS for their desktop/laptop each time an enhancement is released.

I concur, I mean do people actually go 'wow that web page downloaded 1 second faster thanks to the new number after the decimal place!'

galpinos

• forum hero
#29 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 11:32:29 am
What reason have you to doubt that your phone doesn't know what version of software it has installed on it?

I'm a luddite and if techno savvy people seem to think 2.2 has not been released/not available to users on my network (I've no idea if the network makes any difference) then I doubt myself and my ability to check which OS I've got. I managed to disable the mobile interenet and it took me 4 days to sort it out.

Obi may have got a version of the phone that had sat on the shelf with 2.1 waiting to be dispatched, you got one that was fresh off the shelf and already had 2.2 on it.  Luck of the draw :shrug:

I've had mine a while but have made an effort to keep up with the updates so maybe I'm more on the ball than I realised.

The only reason I'm bothered id that battery life was meant to be better with 2.2 and if you own a desire, you'll realsie how important that is!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 11:43:43 am
I'm a luddite and if techno savvy people seem to think 2.2 has not been released/not available to users on my network (I've no idea if the network makes any difference) then I doubt myself and my ability to check which OS I've got. I managed to disable the mobile interenet and it took me 4 days to sort it out.

Fair enough, I'd still be inclined to believe what my phone is telling me over a someone's post (the content of which can be checked, perhaps consider following 3 on twitter where they announced the official update on 14th October).

I've had mine a while but have made an effort to keep up with the updates so maybe I'm more on the ball than I realised.

You may well have accepted a Fimrware Over The Air (FOTA) update without realising it then.

The only reason I'm bothered id that battery life was meant to be better with 2.2 and if you own a desire, you'll realsie how important that is!

All smart phones eat up battery.  The official Andoird 2.2 highlights doesn't even mention battery life.  The forums are full of speculation and realistically you'll still be charging your phone every day anyway.

You'll get more juice out of it if you turn off WiFi/GPS if not being used.  In fact getting something like Tasker to set up profiles for your phone would be a good start (its a bit complicated but very powerful).

galpinos

• forum hero
#31 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 11:50:16 am

Cheers for all the advice Slack-line.

I've already got a power management system but realistically, I kill the battery by using the internet a lot and playing angry birds, I was over optimistically hoping that 2.2 would help a bit.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#32 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 11:55:48 am
I wrote this on another forum, and may have already mentioned it (think Stubbs tweeted the article a while back too).

Its a misconception that you need to kill tasks all the time.

The one time you need to do it is if a program has gone awry and is using all of the CPU, you do not have to worry about killing programs just to free up RAM in the hope of saving energy/extending battery life.

Android is running a Linux kernel and the way Linux handles memory is to allow a program to have its memory space whilst its running, when the program ends it still sits in memory using up the space it used, so it may appear that you have no memory left and you think you'll improve performance by killing some of those programs that are sitting in RAM using it up but not being used by you.  But Linux has been designed to do this on purpose, if you restart a program, e.g. a web-browser, its already in memory and starts up quicker.  But what about when a new program is started and there isn't enough free RAM I hear you ask, well thats not a problem, because at that point the kernel glances at whats in RAM, checks to see whats actually being used and kicks out that program which is sat there and not being used, freeing up enough RAM for the new program.

Thus you don't actually need to waste your time actively killing programs you've exited just to free up RAM, because it won't make any difference to performance as the kernel is very good at managing RAM.

My Linux systems (one with 6Gb and one with 8Gb RAM) regularly have close to 0% of RAM free, but I never experience any delay/lag in opening up new programs or with general usability.

And to get to the crux, stuff sat in memory doesn't use any power, stuff using the CPU will do.  If you've apps running that you don't want stop them from starting up in the first place, otherwise you'll be forever trying to kill them. (See under Settings somewhere, kind of depends on which app, some have settings within the app, I found ShopSavvy always started up on its own and sat there, never use it so deleted it).

You can read an article on this specifically about Android task managers here.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#33 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 01:38:36 pm
I was pleased with the update to Froyo 2.2

It meant my phone rotates both ways not one- which had been a real annoyance to me, possibly because I am left handed

It included the option to set up a HTC network- which allowed me to watch a movie recorded on play TV via remote play on my PS3. Cool.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#34 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 01:56:13 pm

I changed to CyanogenMod 6 which is a modified version of Froyo.  It doubled the battery life instantly on my nexus one (basically a desire in a different case) to about 48 hours with only moderate usage, mainly due to a different Kernel being used.  It's also added a whole bunch of other nice features like full HD video, continuous auto focus in the camera, stable shoot etc.

Using something like Juice Defender and it would go up even more.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#35 Re: Android 2.2
November 12, 2010, 02:05:11 pm
Froyo finally re-released on Three, downloading now...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal