UKBouldering.com

Pull up world records? (Read 3312 times)

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
Pull up world records?
October 28, 2010, 02:41:00 pm
Its a load of bollocks i know before i get ridiculed, but just stumbled into a load of info on Pull Up world records and i think i well and truely broke the record for pull ups in a minute (we're talking 10 years ago cough couggh tho). Really suprised it was so low! I remember doing 48 in 45 secs (cause i died at 45) and at the time the record was apparently 37. Its only up to 46 now!! Coooel.

Cant help but think this is too low tho? Anyone?

:bounce:   :lol:

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#1 Re: Pull up world records?
October 28, 2010, 03:19:55 pm
I thought Martin Watson did more than that at Cliffhanger 1 a couple of years ago. (This may be bollocks though)

Graeme or Perce might know....

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Pull up world records?
October 28, 2010, 03:28:29 pm
I thought Martin Watson did more than that at Cliffhanger 1 a couple of years ago. (This may be bollocks though)

Graeme or Perce might know....

A few years back in the NIA in Brum I can remember Adam Dewhurst kipping like a madman and doing an outrageous amount in the 45 secons or one minute comp.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Pull up world records?
October 28, 2010, 03:31:47 pm
A load of info here http://www.recordholders.org/en/list/chinups.html and here http://www128.pair.com/r3d4k7/Chinups.html

The second one includes some pretty cool feats, for example
One-finger one-arm front lever on a ring (middle finger), then chinning to the ring in that position - at age 60.
Looks like one thing a lot of people may fail on for the official records is that you aren't allowed to use your legs to assist (kipping), that and going down to fully straight arms.

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#4 Re: Pull up world records?
October 28, 2010, 03:50:25 pm
Ah cool, there was definatley some kipping going on with me. Makes you wonder i guess there a lot of climbers about who could get near to the record, especially flicked pull ups, being a natural climbin movement.

I just read this in Jason Armstrongs article on 2409 in 12 hours.... "I would perform anywhere from 200-900 pull-ups a day at a pace anywhere from 12/minute down to 3/minute"

Surely that must just become an exercise in tenacity.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Re: Pull up world records?
October 28, 2010, 04:18:28 pm
Surely that must just become an exercise in tenacity.

Aren't all world records? (and I mean that in a positive way)

Probes

• forum hero
  • Wood Abuser
    • Crusher Holds
#6 Re: Pull up world records?
October 28, 2010, 04:28:50 pm
Dunno? Ive always thought of tenacity as being related to relatively long periods of time. A minutes worth of concentration and the will to hold on for that long doesnt come across as tenacious to me. Maybe tenacious in the length of time to train for it tho?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#7 Re: Pull up world records?
November 10, 2010, 04:21:46 pm
hmmm...
46 in a minute is not much really IMHO. I remember doing 44 ages ago, and was only a punter who enjoyed training for climbing 6a's. no kipping obviously.
when I only had a fingerboard and a pull up bar to train on, to vary the training and fight the boredom I'd train pure power and "speed" power.
so I'd do sets of max number of pullups in 10 seconds on an edge. I could do 12 in the first set, 11 in the following many sets, and so so with a slow decrease.
so I think that for some dedicated trainer it's easily attainable a number around 55-60 even more.
what do you reckon?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal