UKBouldering.com

Leo Houlding tour delay as 'painfully close' to 1st ascent of The Prophet. (Read 18946 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Okay – thanks for pointing out the link in Duncan’s previous post Slack-line – I hadn’t spotted that.

Nonetheless, looking at Duncan’s most recent post in isolation, I’m not sure I totally agree with your rebuttal, Toby.  Perhaps it will help if I explain the rationale for my earlier post?

I’m well aware that people copy web-content all the time, without crediting the source – and indeed if every such instance was accompanied by a credit, it would all get a bit tedious.  Life really is too short for that!

So the stance I adopt is more “credit where credit is due”.  And for me, the El Cap Report is one of those examples - a valuable and unique service “unique in the world” as Tom Evans describes it every day!

I know Duncan will agree with me on that, and is probably an avid follower of the report himself.  That is why I was surprise to see the photos just lifted and dropped into Duncan’s post, without a further credit.  And I knew where they had come from (could have guessed anyway) because I had already looked at Tom’s latest report this morning, mainly to see how Leo was getting on.

Here’s another way to look at it:-

Do you think that Tom Evans, had he been surfing and happened upon UKB, and happened to look up that thread at the time I did this morning, would have felt a bit aggrieved to see his photos dropped into someone’s post?

Perhaps he would have been really chuffed, but my suspicion is that he might actually have felt a bit miffed.  Yet if Duncan had just put a note saying “Photos from (linked) El Cap Report” then I’m sure he would have been chuffed!

Just my opinion though.  There’s no right and wrong in this stuff.

Cheers

Neil

There is a fundamental flaw in your reasoning, and that is that the pictures are still hosted on Tom's site, they haven't been copied to another server by Duncan, but  simply embedded here.

Thus if you right-click on the image and select "Copy URL" you will get Tom's web-site as the site where the picture is hosted and be able to use the domain of the URL to get to the site.

Similarly if you were to quote Duncan's post and read the text which you are quoting you would again see that the picture is hosted on Tom's site and you could again copy the domain from URL.

As the following shows (I've simply quoted Duncan's post and put it within the code tags so that it is not interpreted by the forum), the URL is clearly to http://www.elcapreport.com/...

Code: [Select]
[quote author=duncan link=topic=16197.msg283530#msg283530 date=1288158345]
Painfully close
[img]http://www.elcapreport.com/sites/default/files/3%20unbelievable%20leo%20move.jpg[/img]

No cigar?
[img]http://www.elcapreport.com/sites/default/files/4%20%2030ft%20later%20leo%20is%20pissed.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I'm afraid the biggest foible has been made by yourself as reading posts with-in threads in isolation does not give proper context and will often over-look important information that has previously been posted, as has happened here.

No malice intended, but the citation of the source is implicit in the structure of embedding pictures hosted on other sites into posts in this forum, its self-documenting, and the ability to embed pictures in this manner is a good thing as the alternative would be to save the picture from Tom's site, upload it to a third-party site and embed it from there.

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Okay - thanks for that additional information, Slack-line.  I hadn't realised that this was how UKB worked (I'm not really a technophile, though I do understand your post) and for me there is something much less underhand in linking to someone elses site, than copying their pictures and dropping it into your own.

I had assumed Duncan had done the latter, and I was wrong.  Sorry!

Neil

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Hi Neil F, I agree I should have made the source more clear.  I am also one of Tom's "Cubicle pukes" as well as occasional subject and appreciate his work.  Neil (slack_line) is technically right but I think its good to be explicit rather than implicit about giving credit and I wasn't on this occasion. 

:hug:

T_B

• forum hero

one positive outcome though is that I finally know how to embed photos  :lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

one positive outcome though is that I finally know how to embed photos  :lol:

More on it here:)

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Okay - thanks for that additional information, Slack-line.  I hadn't realised that this was how UKB worked (I'm not really a technophile, though I do understand your post) and for me there is something much less underhand in linking to someone elses site, than copying their pictures and dropping it into your own.

I had assumed Duncan had done the latter, and I was wrong.  Sorry!

Neil

Hi Neil F, I agree I should have made the source more clear.  I am also one of Tom's "Cubicle pukes" as well as occasional subject and appreciate his work.  Neil (slack_line) is technically right but I think its good to be explicit rather than implicit about giving credit and I wasn't on this occasion. 

:hug:

Just had a chuckle to myself imagining how this discussion would have developed on a different website  :lol:. Certainly wouldn't have ended in apologies and cuddles...

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

El Cap has a new free route.

Detailed report and more great photos at Tom Evans' El Cap Pics.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

tomtom

• forum hero
Superb. and a great write up.  :bow:

Neil F

• obsessive maniac
Brilliant - thanks for the heads up, Duncan.

Great effort Leo - those moves on that blunt rib look nails!

And thanks to Tom.  I think his pictures this year have been the best yet...

Neil

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :bow: Good work, must be a great relief.  Great pictures too  :thumbsup:

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Wow, incredible news. Amazing effort

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Where actually is The Prophet?  ... over on the right of El Cap somewhere?

Yeah - right of Zodiac, I think based loosely around Bad to the Bone.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Where actually is The Prophet?  ... over on the right of El Cap somewhere?

Yes.  The Prophet crosses Nico Favresse and Sean Villanueva's route The Secret Passage. 

Edit: as JB says both routes are based on Bad to the Bone and Eagle's Way with some new climbing.

The Secret Passage. Photo Favresse
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:02:52 am by duncan »

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Good effort Leo and Jas, must be very proud to have a new free route on El Cap.

Bet there having a few celebratory G & Ts on the flight home!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Excellent. Nick of time too.

T_B

• forum hero

chillax

• forum abuser
Excellent stuff! Fantastic effort from those lads  :bow:

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Last go syke saves the day, brilliant stuff.

Idol eyes

• junky
Bravo... outstanding effort!

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
props to leo and jas on finishing the prophet. the feeling after all that time must be incredible.

MattH

• menacing presence
Check out an interview with Leo this afternoon on BBC Radio Derby:

http://audioboo.fm/boos/208232-leo-houlding-on-cracking-the-prophet-bbc-radio-derby-29-oct-2010

'The Highlight of my climbing career...'

ferret

• forum abuser
props to leo and jas on finishing the prophet. the feeling after all that time must be incredible.

did somebody english just say "props" i hang my head in shame

good effort to leo etc

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal