UKBouldering.com

issue: Strikes in France (Read 30682 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#50 Re: Strikes in France
October 20, 2010, 12:24:57 pm
I'm all for the right to strike but this situation is a joke. And I'm not even going.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#51 Re: Strikes in France
October 20, 2010, 09:41:37 pm
Has anyone on the ground tried to buy food in the last few days? Are the shelves empty? We're bringing 2 toddlers and 17 adults out this weekend and they will want feeding on more than croissants.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#52 Re: Strikes in France
October 20, 2010, 10:13:14 pm
dont worry all the shops are well stocked  ;D

dave

#53 Re: Strikes in France
October 20, 2010, 10:31:34 pm
Has anyone on the ground tried to buy food in the last few days? Are the shelves empty? We're bringing 2 toddlers and 17 adults out this weekend and they will want feeding on more than croissants.

I'll certainly want the odd pain aux raisin.

granticus

• forum abuser
#54 Re: Strikes in France
October 20, 2010, 10:36:36 pm
Oh no, for the first time in my life I find myself with mixed feelings about coppers breaking strikes. Right to strike vs THE FONT TRIP.....
Be strong comrade. 
I am unable to do the annual autumn Font trip this year due to the impending arrival of the 1st edition to the Granticus dynasty.  So I don't have mixed feelings at all, it's a pleasure to see people power in action  :P

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#55 Re: Strikes in France
October 20, 2010, 10:39:05 pm
Cheers Neil, good to know, a friend parents are in the Loire and they said their local supermarche was stripped, although I think they are quite remote.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#56 Re: Strikes in France
October 20, 2010, 10:43:09 pm

I'll certainly want the odd pain aux raisin.

Never mind that. We need to stockpile Rocher Noir and Panache.

Oh no, for the first time in my life I find myself with mixed feelings about coppers breaking strikes. Right to strike vs THE FONT TRIP.....
Be strong comrade. 
I am unable to do the annual autumn Font trip this year due to the impending arrival of the 1st edition to the Granticus dynasty.  So I don't have mixed feelings at all, it's a pleasure to see people power in action  :P

I am going but still don't have mixed feelings. What happens will happen.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#57 Re: Strikes in France
October 21, 2010, 06:14:24 am
I'm not going to Font  :'(  but did a few sums just in case I do go during strike season.

I can get 300 miles out of my LPG tank and probably 500 out of the petrol tank - due to a huge tank rather than good mpg. The BP station in Dover sells LPG, so I could fill up there, get to Font, race around the forest and get back again without needing to syphon off anyone else's fuel.

Grumpycrumpy has the same vehicle and has suggested that he might hire his out (7 seats)...

picture represents serving suggestion only
actual item may vary from that shown

[smugcunt] Oooh, look at me [/smugcunt]

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#58 Re: Strikes in France
October 21, 2010, 07:43:09 am
just a quick update, nearly half the stations in France are out of fuel, especially the ones round Paris

the vote is not happening until sunday so it means Monday Tuesday at the earliest for any delivery.

One thing is is mainly the diesel that they are having problems with, petrol you are fine, but most stations are putting a 30 euros limit on fuel, and you will have to cue for around half our for that

one thing, you guys are on about not coming, spare a thought for all those stuck here  ;D no seriously, lots of french climbers were looking to go away this week, annual trip to Swiss and England but we cant now cause we cant get out of France,

dave

#59 Re: Strikes in France
October 21, 2010, 08:09:54 am
You mean we might actually see some french climbers in font this year?
:jaw:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#60 Re: Strikes in France
October 21, 2010, 09:19:37 am
the impending arrival of the 1st edition to the Granticus dynasty. 

Nice one, hope it all goes well. And sleep now!

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,8014.125.html awaits the news.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#61 Re: Strikes in France
October 21, 2010, 09:24:13 am

one thing, you guys are on about not coming, spare a thought for all those stuck here  ;D no seriously, lots of french climbers were looking to go away this week

:boohoo: You're going to have to do better than that.

Ged

• junky
#62 Re: Strikes in France
October 21, 2010, 01:09:10 pm
Think i'll go for the fill up in Dover, drive slow, and hope for the best appoach.

So what's the best route to Font in  terms of not stopping and starting much?  i.e. avoiding paris?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#63 Re: Strikes in France
October 21, 2010, 01:18:30 pm
Best route is described in this thread with excellent info from lagerstarfish (in the days before he started charging) about getting round CDG airport where the roads get a bit confusing (you merge with another road and then need to get off on the other side of that road pretty quickly).  Tips from Jim on how to programme your GPS to cope with this section too.

Nigel Poustie

• regular
#64 Re: issue: Strikes in France
October 22, 2010, 09:38:49 am
What the general feeling on this?
Are folk still going, or are people pulling out?
I would normally go without a thought but we have a little one now so unsure as to what to do!

bobkatebob

• menacing presence
#65 Re: issue: Strikes in France
October 22, 2010, 10:27:28 am
Ok, I passed the A6 service station just south of the Font turn off at 9:30 last night.

They had Petrol and Gasoil. The motorway information boards were saying that the station south of that (Nemours) didn't have any Gasoil. So when travelling down, keep an eye on these information signs, don't run too low before you need to re-fill just in case thay are doing a max of 20 or 30€. Also remember that there is quite a stretch from Calais Ferry port to the 1st service startion if you keep en-route so best to cross with more or less a full tank.

I did notice that there was still queueing at other stations closer in to Paris, so you might find that as long as you don't need petrol or Gasoil when you are going around Paris, then I think you will be ok.

Was going to fill my Petrol car up, only problem is that the cubby hole to get to the petrol cap opening leaver was locked, and the key wouldn't work, so I might run out even if there is petrol at the service stations  :wall:

Anyway, If you are comeing down on the M20 the junction after the 1st channel tunnel turn off there is a Tescos when you cross over the M20.
The next junction after that also cross over the M20 to the west side then head south for a very short while and you will get to an industrial park which includes a Sainsburys.

Both the Tescos and sainsburys have petrol stations, and arn't Tescos doing a spend £50 and get so much off fuel at the moment?

I would presume that both these places will be better prices than in Dover by the ferry port.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

fried

• forum hero
#67 Re: issue: Strikes in France
October 22, 2010, 10:47:27 am
Things might ease slightly (but I wouldn't hold your breath)

Although apparently one of the problems is that the refineries have been stopped and so it will take at least a week to get back to normal. Don't worry we'll have taken back the depot by this evening anyway. :guilty:

richie0210

• regular
#68 Re: issue: Strikes in France
October 25, 2010, 08:36:37 am
Just driven back through France from Spain myself. No probelms what so ever in the south but noticeably worse in the north of France. It only seemed to be the diesel running out tho. Fuel seemed available on the major roads if you was willing to wait for it. I carried 50 litres in the back of the van tho just in case ;).
Take the fuel with you from the UK, when u don't need it, sell it to the the french for twice the price, which will help pay for the font trip lol.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#69 Re: issue: Strikes in France
October 26, 2010, 09:12:24 am
Just got back from my mini font trip and as long as you fuel up north of Charles de Gaul, there is plenty of fuel, petrol and diesel. South of there are lots of queues and closed petrol stations.
As it happens I had no idea how far I could actually go on a tank of fuel and the answer is: MILES if I drive at 55. Never done that before. Used 1/4 of a tank from dover to get there going slow and 3/4 to get back at high speed.
Conditions were mint as well!

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
#70 Re: issue: Strikes in France
October 26, 2010, 11:16:08 pm
just an update that everything is all back to normal, fuel almost everywere and only a couple more days until everywere will  have full stocks

oh and the weather is perfect

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#71 Re: issue: Strikes in France
October 26, 2010, 11:33:22 pm
oh and the weather is perfect

Asshole :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal