UKBouldering.com

Font/Peak in November (Read 3856 times)

roddersm

• stalker
Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 09:13:08 am
Hi all,

I'm thinking of abandoning my usual winter spanish bolt clipping trip for a week in Font or possibly the peak.

I've been to font in october before and I remember the weather being pretty good but it might have rained a bit.

Is mid November too late in the year to go? What about the peak(bearing in mind would probably be tradding as well as bouldering in the peak)?

Thanks.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 09:23:12 am
Well I live in Sheffield and am going to Mallorca for a week in November rather than a week off to climb locally.  Make of that what you will.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 09:51:33 am
We usually get a stable period of high pressure in mid-November, which is likely to affect both Font and The Peak.

If you don't catch it Font might be a better bet as the low pressure systems tend to track north and miss it, although if it is really bad the Peak dries much quicker. Similarly high pressure can bring fog which is less of a problem in the Peak as the crags are usually above it. Having said that this is the time I usually schedule a font trip, and haven't had a disaster yet.

Whichever you choose, it is the most beautiful time of year for both. Get a crisp sunny day and it'll be stunning.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 10:00:09 am
Get a crisp sunny day and it'll be stunning.

One of these is worth 2 weeks of bolt clipping

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 10:03:46 am
Exactly

roddersm

• stalker
#5 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 10:40:59 am
Thanks guys.

I know font or the peak is probably a gamble. Just want to hear from anyone whos been in these places in
recent years at this time of year.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 11:29:45 am
The singularities (note these are not a forecast but a statistical average of what has happened in previous years) suggest mid/ late-Nov (14th-24th) though my best guess would be that things will be early rather than late this year - eg the mid-Oct high pressure event we're currently in arrived earlier than is average.

roddersm

• stalker
#7 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 11:49:13 am
Thanks Johnny.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#8 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 12:13:51 pm
Hmm, so if my trip 22-26th Oct is between the good settled period (67% confidence) and the shitty rainy bit (100% confidence), what is most likely? I am an optomistic type, but I rekin it might just be ok...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 12:20:46 pm
Good with shitty rain (83.5%)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 12:59:10 pm
The periods inbetween the singularities are simply periods when there is no weather pattern consistent enough to be statistically significant. On the other hand the shitty rainy period end Oct, start Nov is the only 100% certain period in the year.

fried

• forum hero
#11 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 03:21:29 pm
Without stating the the obvious it can be unpredictable. The problem is not always the rain, but the humidity. The rock can take a long time to dry out in sheltered areas and areas can be prone to fog and mist. I live in Paris and even if it's sunny and dry here it can be misty especially early in the morning. This year we have had pretty stable weather for the last three weeks and the temperature has dropped by about 10° c since last week. My memory is a bit vague for last year, but I seem to remember more rain. Apparently this year is going to be a cold one. Not sure if any of this helps predict November's weather.

I think it's pretty rare not to be able to climb at all, just keep out in the open and hope for the best. It's a beautiful time to visit. There are some good walks if you're waiting for it to dry out.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: Font/Peak in November
October 15, 2010, 09:19:02 pm
Get a crisp sunny day and it'll be stunning.

One of these is worth 2 weeks of bolt clipping

and if you don't get one of these in The Peak / Yorshire, there might be a chance of getting one up in The County - more clear days and not too far to drive.

The trouble with Font during dodgey weather is that all the rock is close together. In Northern England there is still a small chance that somewhere will be dry or even good.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal