UKBouldering.com

Harmers Wood Conditions (Read 130934 times)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#350 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 02, 2017, 11:38:28 am
Stuff like Lepperts, Yates' and other harder stuff have got chalk on now. Hayden's looking better too as of last night (ran through) and bits of chalk.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#351 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 02, 2017, 11:45:29 am
Can't remember if I mentioned this, Mark, but if you go to try The Dark Ark or The Prodigal Sons (or any of the routes that don't get done that often) then take a bit of rope to ab down and give them a quick brush. As much as anything, on some of these Cheshire things you need to go down in advance and mark the holds as they can be quite difficult to tell apart from all the other little ripples and grooves in the rock from below.

They are filthy at the moment - that quarry gets much less action/light/wind. Might even be worth brushing, going and having a cuppa for an hour or so to let any residual dampness under the crud disappate. Nice lines though..

That's a shame. It's surprising how quickly those things have started to turn, given that they were clean less than 2 years ago.
Is there no scene of people on Cheshire sandstone who are regularly climbing above 7A and who want to climb these things? Obviously I can appreciate that the newer stuff is less well known about as it missed the guidebook, but I would have expected word of mouth to ensure at least one or two ticks each year. The DA should be on everyone's ticklist. Of course I'm biased but I also though Prodigal Sons would be worth doing as well, and stuff like The Midnight Bell looks even better.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#352 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 02, 2017, 11:51:56 am
All well out of my league but Midnight Bell is rapidly returning to nature sadly, Prodigal Sons doesn't look too smart currently :(

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#353 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 02, 2017, 11:54:58 am
Here's hoping that the post Brexit government will repeal the Clean Air Act. We'll all die a bit younger, but the crags will be clean again and presumably some businesses will profit.

mark20

• junky
#354 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 06, 2017, 06:32:55 pm
Went over this morning. 1h30 mins from Sheffield if you go early enough to miss the traffic. No excuses for not having been before, what a crag!
The main bit all dry and clean. Prodigal Sons was a bit damp in the break. The Dark Ark didn't need much of a clean, and it's now fully chalked, with a few red herrings for interest... Class problem  :thumbsup:

andy popp

• forum hero
#355 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 06, 2017, 10:54:41 pm
Went over this morning. 1h30 mins from Sheffield if you go early enough to miss the traffic. No excuses for not having been before, what a crag!
The main bit all dry and clean. Prodigal Sons was a bit damp in the break. The Dark Ark didn't need much of a clean, and it's now fully chalked, with a few red herrings for interest... Class problem  :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed it Mark. I hope you won't mind if I post the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=qCwsfyRnlyY&app=desktop

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#356 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 22, 2023, 11:32:57 am
Just poking this one in case anyone's interested, Harmers has lost its winter coat of gloom. Usual rules apply about a couple of dry days after heavy rain. Nothing above about 6A has much chalk so needs a bit of traffic.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal