UKBouldering.com

Harmers Wood Conditions (Read 134103 times)

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#150 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 28, 2012, 07:57:33 pm
There was still a reasonable amount of broken glass on saturday, So it might be worth taking a glass magnet or two with you for a few areas (although I tried to sweep some into bags as I was recovering from a recent injury and didn't climb much).  So thats Pex, Frogsmouth and Harmer's that are proper duff for glass.

Thanks to all of you guy's that keep the place clean and nice.

Shame I'm now covered in bites from there

tomtom

• forum hero
#151 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 28, 2012, 08:36:53 pm
Shame I'm now covered in bites from there

;) me too! Harmers seems to have some extra 'special' biters! Maybe they were pissed off with me for taking away the dregs left in the broken desparado bottles!

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • punter
#152 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
May 28, 2012, 10:21:19 pm
that would explain a great deal :smirk:

tomtom

• forum hero
#153 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
July 23, 2012, 09:02:55 pm
Was OK condition this afternoon. Some of the problems still had wet streaks, but about 70% of things were fine. Take your insect repellant though - sheltered spot and warm temps = biters again~!

http://vimeo.com/user4676815

tomtom

• forum hero
#154 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
July 30, 2012, 09:17:07 pm
Hello,
Good news and bad news.

Its mostly been fine - a little damp a week ago, and quite a bit better on Sunday - though major wet streaks accross some problems. One or two need a good brush but most things are fine.

Bad news is that theres been some more yoofs making fires, boozin, sniffin glue (going by the split open deodorant cans) and chucking bottles. Its not as 'messy' as previous times, but theres lots of broken glass under Harmadillo area etc.. (watch out for most things left of the main easy vertical crack problem). I didnt have the heart to clear up on Friday/Saturday (having done so a couple of times before this year) but if anyone else is planning to visit in the next week or so it might be an idea to bring a stout pair of gloves and a box for the glass etc..

I guess its kind of inevitable this happens, but I wish they'd use one of the shittier (from a climbing point of view) quarries instead! I dont know if anyone on here has been in touch with the folk from harmerswood.org, but if so it might be worth talking to them to see if anything can be done? Maybe moving the logs for seats (not used as firewood) and disposing of must substantial/easily burnable material from the quarry so they head elsehwere? I couldnt think of much else that could be done....

andy popp

• forum hero
#155 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
July 30, 2012, 09:50:13 pm
I can't tell you how much this depresses me. No chance I can help clear up at the moment either.

tomtom

• forum hero
#156 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
July 30, 2012, 10:00:54 pm
I can't tell you how much this depresses me. No chance I can help clear up at the moment either.

Its nothing like as bad as its been the last couple of times (litter wise), but the broken glass is an issue....

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • punter
#157 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
July 30, 2012, 10:17:09 pm
I'll head up there on Friday and get what I glass I can.

If anyone is in contact with the guys at Harmers.org and they'd like a qualified chainsaw-ist to do some deadwood clearing/selective thinning (later on in the year, depending on felling licences) I'll also offer my services to them for for coppicing/hedgelaying/fencing etc....

Cheers

tomtom

• forum hero
#158 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
July 30, 2012, 10:21:35 pm
I expect they'd find that really really useful... there is a post address on their website (under contacts) so I might write to them - but I'll hold fire for now if anyone else has any ideas/things to say etc..

tomtom

• forum hero
#159 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 03, 2012, 11:39:43 am
Popped in this morning hopeful it wasnt too wet. Sadly it was wet. I doubt it'll be dry by this afternoon - no real added seepage, just runoff - but still too damp. Needs a day or two of dry IMHO.

Also had a look at Helsby - low RH crag was 'nearly' OK, but the rock looked a bit seepy and I didnt want to risk any damage... Home and beastmakerisation.

phasic

#160 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 10, 2012, 09:30:56 am
Hi all,
I'm hoping to get out for some bouldering this afternoon from Liverpool, and this place sounds great. Do you reckon should be dry today what with the great weather for the last 2 days?
I'll also bring a bag for a bit of a cleanup if I end up here.

andy popp

• forum hero
#161 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 10, 2012, 10:04:17 am
I think there should be enough to do. Maybe there myself at some point.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#162 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 10, 2012, 10:21:32 am
Writing to the Friends Of about chainsawing, etc. sounds like an excellent idea. I've emailed a couple of times but never get a reply (maybe it's me). Nice folk when you meet them in person, but just not that responsive to email.

andy popp

• forum hero
#163 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 10, 2012, 10:36:51 am
Steve, do you know if its OK to climb in the roadside quarry now?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#164 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 10, 2012, 11:06:03 am
Almost certainly Andy - I've bumbled around already on a grotty day. The original signs said not till April 1 2012 IIRC. The sign and tape were long gone by then though, maybe around Jan/Feb?

That said, I'm not sure how successful their whole wildflower seeding project has been - the nettles and usual weedy stuff have had a pretty good head start.

andy popp

• forum hero
#165 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 10, 2012, 05:09:07 pm
Main quarry is largely dry, though not really in good nick as most things clearly haven't been getting any traffic and need a good brushing. Did some litter picking; those no obvious large bits large debris (though when the ferns die back we'll undoubtedly find more) but there was still plenty of broken glass. Picked up as much as I could and don't think there's much left that endanger a falling climber.

That said, I'm not sure how successful their whole wildflower seeding project has been - the nettles and usual weedy stuff have had a pretty good head start.

Indeed, they seem to have succeeded only in producing a world class nettle breeding programme. Some monster head height specimens. I managed to forge a path to the lovely Stig-arete, which was actually super clean.

chummer

• forum abuser
#166 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 20, 2012, 04:56:21 pm
Went here the other day for the first time as a diversion from the motor way drive...something I've been meaning to do for ages, what a cool little venue.  However, despite a few days of sunny weather all the harder stuff on the walls were still pretty damp and unclimbable, although most of the easier classic aretes were all good.

With this in mind and the fact that it's such a perfect stop off point during a non climbing journey (or otherwise) I thought it would be pretty useful if folk posted what condition they last found it in, and before someone says 'only go there in spring/ autumn', Babyblock was virtually dry and looked like it might only take another day to become climbable. So here's mine:

Babyblock was almost dry last week with all the classic easier lines dry and climbable,  ;) although the crack was a little damp. As an aside there's loads of broken glass below a lot of the problems so next time I'd bring a bag and do my bit and all that shizzle.  The police also came around to check my van out as apparently there's been some dodgy vehicles patrolling the area so I guess not leaving valuables is a no brainer but also not parking there if your vehicle is dodgy, like mine was with a balding tire...would be advisable, just managed to catch the copper before a closer inspection was made, phew!

chummer

• forum abuser
#167 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 20, 2012, 05:00:48 pm
I should also add that despite the hot, shorts and vest (oh yer baby) day it still felt cool enough in the quarry to climb the harder problems.

tomtom

• forum hero
#168 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 20, 2012, 07:19:13 pm
Erm.. Did you see the existing Harmers wood conditions thread about 8 threads below?

mods, can you merge this with the existing one please?

chummer

• forum abuser
#169 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
August 20, 2012, 08:33:45 pm
What a fucking dick.....did a search too, I'll get me coat...

tomtom

• forum hero
#170 Harmers Wood Conditions
September 06, 2012, 08:07:28 am
Anyone been recently? Was thinking of having a look today as we've had a few days of dry weather...

andy popp

• forum hero
#171 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
September 06, 2012, 08:19:14 am
Sorry Tom not been in ages. Don't think I can make it but text me if you do go and I'll see ...

tomtom

• forum hero
#172 Harmers Wood Conditions
September 06, 2012, 08:26:05 am
Sorry Tom not been in ages. Don't think I can make it but text me if you do go and I'll see ...

Will do. More flexible today, so if am or pm is easier let me know.. T

andy popp

• forum hero
#173 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
September 06, 2012, 08:33:46 am
How long is a piece of string? How much work do I have to do today etc ...

andy popp

• forum hero
#174 Re: Harmers Wood Conditions
September 06, 2012, 01:23:58 pm
Tomtom, he say is all good!! However, the twit has gone and forgotten his boots. :-[

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal