UKBouldering.com

New moon holds any one tried um? (Read 1976 times)

gruffalo

• player
  • theres many ways to skin a cat....
New moon holds any one tried um?
September 18, 2010, 07:15:07 pm
Investing in some new holds for my board, thinking of the new school room holds are they finger friendley?

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#1 Re: New moon holds any one tried um?
September 18, 2010, 07:43:15 pm
i'd say there were better holds for your money try CORE holds website

gruffalo

• player
  • theres many ways to skin a cat....
#2 Re: New moon holds any one tried um?
September 18, 2010, 09:34:31 pm
Got some core holds they are good quality. have you used the moon holds?

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#3 Re: New moon holds any one tried um?
September 19, 2010, 07:05:50 pm
I haven't seen the brand new ones but had the old school holds on my board, they weren't particularly finger friendly but obviously other people may disagree.

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#4 Re: New moon holds any one tried um?
September 19, 2010, 07:25:51 pm
Investing in some new holds for my board, thinking of the new school room holds are they finger friendley?

I asked this question here   http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,13699.0.html

I bought them. Still not sure what I think of them. Got them on 45 board, they are bigger than I thought. They are also quite rough textured, so grippy but make skin sore if you slap around on them, so they encourage good form!

The mono's and pockets were quite awful, so I sanded them down a bit to make the edges smoother. What was strange was how easily they sanded, just using regular sandpaper, it made me wonder if the mix/resin was wrong.

So my review is ambivalent, if they are going to be part of a set up ie not your only holds, use them. If you are looking to use them as your only holds I wouldn't recommend them.

richieb

• menacing presence
#5 Re: New moon holds any one tried um?
September 19, 2010, 07:48:34 pm
I recently got the black set for my board. I agree with Andy, they are pretty grippy/rough out of the box but Im already noticing this changing slightly as they get chalked and brushed.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Re: New moon holds any one tried um?
September 20, 2010, 12:00:49 am
The new sets are all made from PU resin.  As with other PU holds they will climb better once they have been chalked up but are quite aggressive at first.  The Works sets in PU (Revolution etc) feel pretty bad at first but end up being better to climb on when all the other circuits are clogged up with shit.  Horses for courses, I like PU and I also like Polyester.  Be careful sanding PU as it's very easy to get carried away (and could start a fire?)

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#7 Re: New moon holds any one tried um?
September 28, 2010, 05:33:43 pm
the stoke bouldering wall has the new moon holds, three of them broke within 30mins of being put on

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal