UKBouldering.com

Font; I've never been. Where should I go? (Read 8447 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
I may have been a bit too harsh on the Jingo Wobbly guide. I just remember almost having an emotional break down trying to use it to find problems and in the end it just got dumped at the bottom of someone's bag, where it stayed for the remainder of the trip.

I would also agree that the essential font guide doesn't cover a huge amount. But then it doesn't pretend to either and for a first trip it is pretty much the best guide to get. If you want to return on a regular basis then i think other guides would be better.

Also Bas Cuvier is truely horrible, especially when you compare to the rampart about 10 minutes walk away and one of my favourite areas.

jonjon

• addict
Spend a week trying something or other at Cuvier. Job Done.

erm, sam

• forum hero
I think the jiggo wobbly guide is the best one for giving an idea of what areas are like in regards to aspect, picnic friendlyness, good for kids etc.  Also quite like it because it is good for circuiting, that oft disregarded Font joy.
I wouldn't use it to find actual problems though, and I do not like the icons.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Guides for circuits?  WTF!!!  Part of the joy of doing circuits is after having done one problem trying to find the tiny arrow pointing you to the next problem on the circuit!!!

Paul B

• forum hero
If you don't know where to go can I suggest you watch:

The real thing
Bleau
HTTP Bloc
L'Etranger
Between the Trees

By the end of this, you'll have a tick list. Don't buy that tiny little guide either, buy a proper one (after all you'll be back) preferably written by someone French and ginger or if not a bald man from the Netherlands will suffice.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I also think nipping into Decathlon at the Carrefour Centre in Villiers (I think that's where it is) and getting the OS Type map for the area is worthwhile.

neil h

• forum hero
  • You think i'm fat
    • sibl
Guides for circuits?  WTF!!!  Part of the joy of doing circuits is after having done one problem trying to find the tiny arrow pointing you to the next problem on the circuit!!!

you could always buy the new ap for our fav phone only 4 euros

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=1010&id=100001144541125

its has gps that points you to the next boulder even with little videos on how to climb them  ;D

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Yeah, 4 Euros for the app and then 4 Euros a second to use it abroad!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
When is someone going to get around to writing a '5&6s' guide in the style of the '7&8's? I'm sure it would sell by the shed load.

On that note, what's with the £29 price tag of the second edition? TOO much!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Not the same style but there is Bleau de grès 6...

....which has sold by the shed load and is currently sold out (at least on bleau.info, might be able to get one from a local shop).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The "Off Piste" guide is really good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Oui

Paul B

• forum hero

No its not, the maps aren't great and it'll point you at some unclimbed deathball offwidth.

RASTATA

• addict
 :agree:

topos are wrong, grades are wrong, boulders are missing its very disappointing guide, especially compred to the purple one

just get a 7+8 its the only guide book for font which is worth to buy

Paul B

• forum hero
(could be a slight issue if you don't make the cut).

As someone pointed out if you did an equivalent guide at the lower grades it'd be a hit, would it be massive though? I'd expect so.

SA Chris

• forum hero

No its not, the maps aren't great and it'll point you at some unclimbed deathball offwidth.

Must have missed that one. Never had a problem with it.

Paul B

• forum hero
Its good as a compliment to the Pink and when you've been to Font a fair few times IMO. (I can point you to it, if I remember correctly its part of the light blue circuit somewhere like apremont?)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
I really don't think you should be buying a guide from someone who (a) owns a caravan, and (b) refers to their caravan as their "escargot of love".  I could mention several other reasons but had best not in public.

shit... twice in one year...

" I agree with Nik"

damn... that hurt...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
If the I-Fern is using GPS to tell users which problem they are on, shirley someone must have an accurate map which shows where the boulders are relative to each other (and the rest of the world)  :shrug:

erm, sam

• forum hero
Guides for circuits?  WTF!!!
You know what I mean. A guide that describes circuits as an entity is a useful thing. I don't see what is so wrong with that. Of course it is all about finding and following the arrows etc, I don't really see why a guide that describes circuits is so different from a guide that describes problems.

Not the same style but there is Bleau de grès 6...
I have this one but tend to leave it at home. Seems 3 guides is the most I can fit in my bag on a given day...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal